Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 RWD Footwell door pocket light mod?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
X288 is the connector on the rear overhead console (rear dome lights, 2 clips and straight downward motion pull)
Hmm- got nowhere today- cannot for the life of me trace that puddle violet wire to the plugs in the door. The puddle light wires are so short in the door that I can't just do a continuity test and I don't want to break them so I went hunting in the attached plugs and the blue plug not pictured and tested all the violet wires for 12vdc- nothing. ignore that black tape crap- thats the hansshow audio bypass harness. I would help if they labelled there blugs as I can't work out which is x033

Attachments

• passenger door plugs.png
    passenger door plugs.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 115
FFS - I just realised that there is a switched vanity light thats way easier to tap into- and its in the main console. Comes on with the door open. The video that Christian Molino did't explain this part well but I watched it again and went hunting. Way easier to wire up

Mmm. No luck yet. These fancy pants canbus cars are a pain in the xxxx. I've had enough for today and the wiring is all in but I could not get the relay to fire. Thinking about it afterwards I think I need to tap both sides of the compartment light to make the trigger work. I just earthed it through the 12vdc earth and i suspect that's an issue. I'll try that soon

I think I've given up on this. Looks like the console light has it's own switch for the lid so that not going to work. Additionally, there are so many different discreet power rails in this thing you need to use the +ve and -ve of any circuit you pick as a trigger. Too risky on the puddle switch- too hard to wire to the dome light. I'll put a torch in the glovebox :)

hahaa, yes, am with you on canbus cars... I didn't get too much time over the weekend as my kids were sick. Hope I will get a bit more time this weekend to look into this further as I'm also looking into the blue connector beneath the rear air vent (see post here 12v Switched?)
Magic- let me know how that goes. If that works its do-able. I just found that the earths are frustrating - have to pickup the earth for that circuit

Magic- let me know how that goes. If that works its do-able. I just found that the earths are frustrating - have to pickup the earth for that circuit
Got it. Took the cover off the rear of the console at the very bottom at floor level. There's a single blue plug there and only one brown wire. Tested it and it was switched. Used that as the trigger for a solid state relay +ve and earth through the 12 VDC accessory. The positive from the 12vdc accessory then runs to the load side of the relay and the other side goes to the + side of the footwell lights. These are already earthed through their black cable.
After all that I think I'll order brighter ones as they are not very bright

Power stays on? How are wiring the SSR?
Yeh that brown wire in the rear of the console stays on when the drivers set is occupied! So its keeping the relay on. Goes off when I exit the vehicle ok but the footwell lights are staying on when driving. Not terrible as they are so dull but not the result I wanted. I'm using the brown wire as my trigger and the ciggy lighter as the power for the footwell lights. your idea of using the dome wires is looking like the only way of making this work.

If we can trace the dome light wires to this plug in the A pillar it would make life easier?

Attachments

• a_pillar-plug.png
    a_pillar-plug.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 71
Last edited:
Yeh that brown wire in the rear of the console stays on when the drivers set is occupied! So its keeping the relay on. Goes off when I exit the vehicle ok but the footwell lights are staying on when driving. Not terrible as they are so dull but not the result I wanted. I'm using the brown wire as my trigger and the ciggy lighter as the power for the footwell lights. your idea of using the dome wires is looking like the only way of making this work.

If we can trace the dome light wires to this plug in the A pillar it would make life easier?
are you referring to the thick BN wire as the trigger? or the thin BN? Or the thin TN? if you're referring to the thick BN wire on the diagnostic plug - it is the same as ciggy 12v BN which is -ve.. but sounds like your connector differs to mine 2022 MIC RWD.. check out my other thread as well. 12v Switched?

are you referring to the thick BN wire as the trigger? or the thin BN? Or the thin TN? if you're referring to the thick BN wire on the diagnostic plug - it is the same as ciggy 12v BN which is -ve.. but sounds like your connector differs to mine 2022 MIC RWD.. check out my other thread as well. 12v Switched?
It does sound like it has changed- this is the plug at the rear of the center console at the bottom- only one brown wire in the entire harness

Attachments

• rear.png
    rear.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 74
Is that the yellow wire or the black wire you've tapped into on that dome light?

nope, never tapped into yellow nor black. like i said in my previous posts, i'm using X288's pin 3 (or 4) as my trigger, running it towards my SSR. The other 3 posts on the SSR are LED +ve, 15.5+ (thick blue extension from ciggy), and GND -ve (thick brown extension from ciggy). By the way, from rear overhead dome light, i already ran a single wire along the roof line along top of passenger door, and down A-pillar, and under passenger carpet, and to the front bottom area of the centre console (basically the airy space between the kick panels). Have also soldered a harness with 4 x T10 bulb holders connecting the fronts and backs, to be ran length-way under the centre console, so that I can mount the T10 bulb holders onto the carpet.

hope to have some time on the weekend to put the harness in place and get this completed. :p

nope, never tapped into yellow nor black. like i said in my previous posts, i'm using X288's pin 3 (or 4) as my trigger, running it towards my SSR. The other 3 posts on the SSR are LED +ve, 15.5+ (thick blue extension from ciggy), and GND -ve (thick brown extension from ciggy). By the way, from rear overhead dome light, i already ran a single wire along the roof line along top of passenger door, and down A-pillar, and under passenger carpet, and to the front bottom area of the centre console (basically the airy space between the kick panels). Have also soldered a harness with 4 x T10 bulb holders connecting the fronts and backs, to be ran length-way under the centre console, so that I can mount the T10 bulb holders onto the carpet.

hope to have some time on the weekend to put the harness in place and get this completed. :p
got it- Red (3) and blue (4) wires right? I think I've found them in the harness in the a pillar- testing tomorrow hopefully