Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 UK Model Y - please help me to sort a solution for playing music from USB

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello

As per title. Did a search but cannot find anything defintive or particularly recent, which is a valid factor due to the fast moving changes that Tesla make. i have a March 2022 MY and AFAIK just the one data USB-C in glovebox. What are my options in playing music off a USB stick?

It's a USB A socket in the glovebox, not USB C. Not to be dismissive, but what have you tried so far? It's difficult to help without knowing what you have done that hasn't worked. There are dozens of Youtube videos on the subject that will likely help.

It's a USB A socket in the glovebox, not USB C. Not to be dismissive, but what have you tried so far? It's difficult to help without knowing what you have done that hasn't worked. There are dozens of Youtube videos on the subject that will likely help.
Thanks - my bad. Assumed due to the fact that all the others were USB-c that this was also. Not tried much - I bought a USB-C stick soon after having the car, which didn't work in the centre console as I was hoping. Since your message tried my USB-A stick in the glovebox and this works fine, so...
USB Splitter or format the current stick and partition it
...does this mean all I need is an item such as this and without any further "partitioning" (which I am unfamiliar with) the Tesla stick for Sentry will continue to work, and any other sticks I insert as well will be able to be played also?

Yes, theoretically it should work. Depends if Tesla follow the usual USB protocols. If you can play music from a USB-A in the glovebox then 2 sticks on the same bus should should be perfectly fine.

I'd stick to something like this

Reactions: T3SSY
USB memory sticks are not really that great for dashcam storage ( including the one Tesla supplies) There are too many writes and it wears them out.
Rather than getting a splitter you would be better off replacing the USB memory stick with a card reader and a SanDisk Max Endurance sd card big enough to hold your music and the dashcam footage. That will almost certainly outlast your ownership of the car.

Yes, theoretically it should work. Depends if Tesla follow the usual USB protocols. If you can play music from a USB-A in the glovebox then 2 sticks on the same bus should should be perfectly fine.

I'd stick to something like this
That particular cable is not a USB data splitter/hub only a power splitter - only one of the two sockets has power + data, the other is power only.
You do need a USB hub of some sort to provide or read data to/from more than one device.

I use a media card reader with two media card slots.

One holds an Extreme media card designed for video/dash cam recording. 2-1/2 years on and still working fine.

The other hold a more basic media card with my audio on it.

Then if the video card gets corrupted/full etc, it can be simply reformatted without any consequence to the audio files.

Tbh USB audio interface is quite basic and if I want audio of my choice I stick with Tidal. At least they seemed to have fixed album art now, well last time I looked. They may have broken something else now. USB audio very much a third class citizen in the Tesla.

Reactions: Toblerone
Tbh USB audio interface is quite basic and if I want audio of my choice I stick with Tidal. At least they seemed to have fixed album art now, well last time I looked. They may have broken something else now. USB audio very much a third class citizen in the Tesla.

Agreed the interface could do with some improvements. I used it yesterday and I must admit I never even noticed if album art was showing ... I'm leaning towards "not".

This looks like an ideal bundle for the job - 256 GB SanDisk High Endurance microSD card with USB reader for £40 on Amazon. You can even save a quid by ordering them separately.

Depending on how much music you have it can be partitioned as needed, e.g. 64 GB for music and the rest for sentry etc.

But, before spending money I'd recommend trying the USB music interface with a USB stick you have lying around. For example, I found it doesn't handle compilation albums properly and thinks each song is on a separate album, even if you've ensured the MP3 tags have the song artist and album artist set correctly.

Reactions: Toblerone
MP3s on a memory card? That takes me back to the early 2000s!

Unless you have some music that somehow is not available on Spotify, why not just use Spotify? It won’t take long to add all your albums to the Spotify playlist, and you’ll have all the benefits that Spotify in the car brings compared to MP3s, such as album artwork, ease of navigation, playing an album/song via voice control etc.

Reactions: Stuart Watson

Unless you have some music that somehow is not available on Spotify, why not just use Spotify? It won’t take long to add all your albums to the Spotify playlist, and you’ll have all the benefits that Spotify in the car brings compared to MP3s, such as album artwork, ease of navigation, playing an album/song via voice control etc.

definitely regarded as old school nowadays ... but if you want access to high rate MP3 or AAC, or lossless tracks ... and you don't want the music to stop if you drive behind a hill ... and you still have your lifetime of music without paying a subscription and without requiring internet ... I even listen on an old iPod if I'm on a plane ... (though I agree car interface and lack of voice control remains a pain)

Reactions: teaston

Plenty of reasons to use USB MP3s rather than Spotify :-
  • doesn't cost a tenner a month
  • better sound quality (compared to bundled Spotify, anyway)
  • not affected by signal coverage
  • not bothered about voice control
  • would take forever to add 100s of albums to favourites
  • not everything is available
Spotify might work for many, but not everyone.

Spotify is lossy audio just like MP3s (although they use the Ogg Vorbis codec instead). Mushy, compressed low quality audio equivalent to about 3-4 times lower than CD. The streamers are notorious for offering brickwalled masters as well. Spotify HIFI was supposed to be coming last year but still no sign of it.

If you want to listen to the best fidelity then it's with your own lossless ripped music using FLAC for example. Plus no need to pay for premium connectivity. I've just partitioned a WD Black 1TB SSD with 2 parts. TeslaCam for dash cam footage and a media partition for Music, Boombox, and Lightshow. This thread may also have some info. [V9] How to Format USB into 2 Partitions for DashCam and Music [Windows]

The Tesla interface for USB audio is pretty rubbish though. It also doesn't remember/resume what you were playing if you park the car! Grrrr it's so annoying! The album artwork has been fixed though. Tesla really should try putting some effort into improving this. It's pretty poor having broken code that it doesn't remember what was playing.

They should also look into playing back multichannel music. Dolby Atmos is going to be available in the Lucid Air. Hopefully there could be an app from the rumoured upcoming Tesla App Store that could solve all this one day. 🤞

Reactions: DelPhonic1
Spotify is lossy audio just like MP3s (although they use the Ogg Vorbis codec instead). Mushy, compressed low quality audio equivalent to about 3-4 times lower than CD. The streamers are notorious for offering brickwalled masters as well. Spotify HIFI was supposed to be coming last year but still no sign of it.

If you want to listen to the best fidelity then it's with your own lossless ripped music using FLAC for example. Plus no need to pay for premium connectivity. I've just partitioned a WD Black 1TB SSD with 2 parts. TeslaCam for dash cam footage and a media partition for Music, Boombox, and Lightshow. This thread may also have some info. [V9] How to Format USB into 2 Partitions for DashCam and Music [Windows]

The Tesla interface for USB audio is pretty rubbish though. It also doesn't remember/resume what you were playing if you park the car! Grrrr it's so annoying! The album artwork has been fixed though. Tesla really should try putting some effort into improving this. It's pretty poor having broken code that it doesn't remember what was playing.

They should also look into playing back multichannel music. Dolby Atmos is going to be available in the Lucid Air. Hopefully there could be an app from the rumoured upcoming Tesla App Store that could solve all this one day. 🤞
I don’t think any higher quality files make a difference, the Tesla speakers are not good enough, they’re very cheap little paper coned units. I have tried the HIFI quality tracks on Tidal (have to use wifi to get the HIFI tracks), and they sound no different to Spotify.

Must admit I hadn't realised how bad the USB interface actually is, I'd been using Spotify to listen to things I didn't own until the Premium Connectivity ran out.

Not only does it not remember what it was previously playing, it doesn't even remember it was previously set on USB. You can add a USB shortcut of course but that's a valuable shortcut lost. Read somewhere that if you use the voice command "USB" it does resume from where it was previously, worth a try.

But, given that it doesn't sort the albums properly if you have songs by different artists on them, it's a bit poor. If you have all your music stored on your phone as well then it's probably a better bet to play it from there using bluetooth.

Reactions: WilburT
I’ve tried a usb splitter and a usb hub, both gave me dash cam errors. It continued to record seemingly normally on both, but I didn’t feel I could rely on it so just partitioned the drive.

I’d like to be able to leave the PS4 controller plugged in, and a separate stick for music but not at the cost of potentially having dashcam or sentry footage corrupted or fail.