Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023.20.9 got rid of steering wheel nag!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Updated to the new update today, still have FSD 11.3.6. But noticed on my first drive that I was not getting a single nag to touch the steering wheel. Did two more drives, including one at night, and not a single one, gave me a notification for the steering wheel. Either I got lucky or this update removed the nag finally

• Informative
Reactions: unk45
I am on the same FSD Beta but still get the nag. Although it is much less than in the old days. I also get it less wearing sunglasses as long as I am pointed ahead, I think, because it can't see thru them. I can go 1.5-2 minutes between nags. My guess is that it is either a bug or possibly they could be doing some "A/B" testing... kinda of stealth turn off the nag for some fraction of regular people to see what data/behavior they get... I would lean toward a bug though.

Yeah I figured it's most likely a bug but a welcome bug to me! I always pay attention when driving and even when resting my hand on the wheel it would still give me the nag, especially at night. I always thought it should just rely solely on the camera and that you are paying attention. Without the nag it feels like real self driving now.

Reactions: zoomer0056
I had OpenPilot running in a 2017 Prius. It was GREAT on the highway. Absolutely 0 nags for hours. Hands on my lap and eyes on the road.

I actually found myself having much better situational awareness because I could look around and not have to focus ahead.

There are definitely times when it's safe to do that. Especially when you're on a highway with literally no one in front of you and no onramps for miles.

That Openpilot really cut down on my fatigue. Sadly, the Tesla actually has me more on edge...I find myself more concentrating on putting the right amount of torque into the wheel to get the nag to go away, but not too much that it disables AP. It's a fine line and it's more distracting than just watching the road. The fact that this happens every 100sec (if you're lucky), means you've got to do some kind of intervention 100s of times during long highway travel. That's not relaxing

I get that Tesla can't do that for liability concerns, I'm just saying it's a much more relaxing experience than Teslas AP. Kind of a bummer

I think the thing that drives me crazy currently is that the Tesla is oversensitive the steering wheel input. So they don’t want you using a hands-free device on your steering wheel… But the thing also turns off FSD if you have too much input on the steering wheel.

Basically, you seem to be damned if you do damned if you don’t.

(I’ve had full self driving cut off because my hand is sitting on the steering wheel and creates enough drag that he decides I took over. Obviously, that was never the intent, and the light touch. I have a steering wheel is really light (which is caused the card to tell me I have a hands-free device on the steering wheel and turn off FSD for the rest of the drive… even though there wasn’t anything on the steering wheel but my hand.)

I think the thing that drives me crazy currently is that the Tesla is oversensitive the steering wheel input. So they don’t want you using a hands-free device on your steering wheel… But the thing also turns off FSD if you have too much input on the steering wheel.

Basically, you seem to be damned if you do damned if you don’t.

(I’ve had full self driving cut off because my hand is sitting on the steering wheel and creates enough drag that he decides I took over. Obviously, that was never the intent, and the light touch. I have a steering wheel is really light (which is caused the card to tell me I have a hands-free device on the steering wheel and turn off FSD for the rest of the drive… even though there wasn’t anything on the steering wheel but my hand.)
Over time, I've learned to put just the right amount of pressure on the wheel. You can also just scroll the your speed up/down. What I have an issue with is the red icon, it takes much more force for a longer period of time to make that one go away. To the point that I sometimes purposely dis-engage in order not to go to Tesla Jail

But yeah, get rid of the nag please!

I think the thing that drives me crazy currently is that the Tesla is oversensitive the steering wheel input
Mine is undersensitive, so I flip up the right stalk to get out of FSD. The idea of accidentally disabling FSD from excessive torque on my car's steering wheel is laughable. When I turn the wheel to get out of FSD, I have to apply so much force that it results in a steering overcorrection. I wonder whether they test the wheel torque installation or if they just install the hardware and assume that it will operate to spec.

Reactions: gtae07
Mine is undersensitive, so I flip up the right stalk to get out of FSD. The idea of accidentally disabling FSD from excessive torque on my car's steering wheel is laughable. When I turn the wheel to get out of FSD, I have to apply so much force that it results in a steering overcorrection. I wonder whether they test the wheel torque installation or if they just install the hardware and assume that it will operate to spec.
I'd also wondered about the posts with people talking about accidentally disabling FSD via steering torque. My 2018 M3 is like yours. It's pretty much impossible to exit FSD w/o making the car veer. However, I just went on a trip and rented a 2022 M3. The torque feel was worlds lighter and I disabled FSD many times with my usual amount of anti-nag hang. I wonder whether it's car to car variance or whether newer cars are lighter?

• Informative
Reactions: JB47394
Sadly, the Tesla actually has me more on edge...I find myself more concentrating on putting the right amount of torque into the wheel to get the nag to go away, but not too much that it disables AP. It's a fine line and it's more distracting than just watching the road. The fact that this happens every 100sec (if you're lucky), means you've got to do some kind of intervention 100s of times during long highway travel. That's not relaxing
THIS! If anything the nag seems to have gotten worse (basic AP) than when I first got the car two months ago.