Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023.6.x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First 20 mile journey since latest update and just because this is TMF and everything is generally negative I’m going to cause trouble and say the auto wipers were awesome!

Weather was sunny bursts and sudden showers, going from lovely bright sunshine, through a little drizzle to full on pi$$ing it down then stopped as soon as started.

Well, the wipers caught the immediate drizzle, a little startling as usually takes a little prompt from me in really light rain. Then it speeded up to max when the heavens opened. And then when the sun popped out again calmness was restored and the wipers slowed down and stopped.

I would apologise for the positivity as that seems somewhat lost on here? But I’m not going to as I’m a glass half full person.
I'm going to second this. Only picked up yesterday, 2023.2.12 pushed last night, drove 80 miles today in variable rain/sun conditions and the auto wipers were far superior to the ones I've just left on an 18 Golf. One data point a pattern does not make but I was pleasantly surprised.

It seems to be some cars from the Aug/Sep 2022 Shanghai batch that are having the issues.

Some digging from members are suggesting they were fitted with single chip steering racks, rather than double chip. Seems the update and rack firmware are no playing ball.

My steering has become heavy and feeling like notches as I turn it. Like it’s going over teeth or stepping rather than smooth. It’s awful.

At the moment to only solution is replacing the rack.
I have a MY Sept 2022 and my steering feels exactly like that. Definitely only started recently. I am going to make a service appointment

First 20 mile journey since latest update and just because this is TMF and everything is generally negative I’m going to cause trouble and say the auto wipers were awesome!

Easy to think things have changed, but single data point not really representative.

Admittedly prior version, but my first longish drive in it. Very mixed weather.

At first I thought wipers were much improved, handling the rain on the motorway well.

But then we had a downpour, typical A303 dual to single carriageway and traffic came to a stop. Had a downpour that then stopped as quick as it started. Wipers went in to the necessary overdrive, which then continued full speed for about a minute after rain has stopped.

Then a bit later, one of the wipers nemesis, fine rain - nope, totally failed to wipe.

No improvement it would seem, just a case of four seasons in one day and wipers coping admirably with some conditions, and failing miserably with others. Easy to think things had changed for the better in first half of drive, only to be later reminded that they hadn’t.

Camera still blinded by a nice bit of dry British weather though…. Why…
C6FEC32E-2C67-412D-871A-E9460209F009.jpeg

Admittedly prior version, but my first longish drive in it. Very mixed weather.

At first I thought wipers were much improved, handling the rain on the motorway well.

But then we had a downpour, typical A303 dual to single carriageway and traffic came to a stop. Had a downpour that then stopped as quick as it started. Wipers went in to the necessary overdrive, which then continued full speed for about a minute after rain has stopped.

Then a bit later, one of the wipers nemesis, fine rain - nope, totally failed to wipe.

No improvement it would seem, just a case of four seasons in one day and wipers coping admirably with some conditions, and failing miserably with others. Easy to think things had changed for the better in first half of drive, only to be later reminded that they hadn’t.

Camera still blinded by a nice bit of dry British weather though…. Why…
View attachment 921280
If it’s anything like mine, that would be random condensation…

Something I haven't seen before is warming up.
View attachment 920564
I read somewhere that the "warming up" message is related to fan speed control.
While it is warming up from cold the fan speed is reduced so it's not blowing cold air around.
Once it warms up the fan speed increases and presumably the message disappears.
If it is true it makes sense.

• Informative
Reactions: boombap and Cardo
Maybe @Neilman but when turning up the temperature to ~25C, after driving for a while, the "Warming up" message comes on. You'd think the fan speed would increase in that condition?

In my mind, this message could happen when there is a big difference between car temperature and set temperature... Still only seen the message after the last update.

I have a MY Sept 2022 and my steering feels exactly like that. Definitely only started recently. I am going to make a service appointment
Update 2023.6.8 fixes the steering issue.

I updated my car when it was sitting in a tesla Centre the night before the steering rack was going to be replaced. The update fixed the issue therefore the replacement was cancelled.

Tech told me it was fixed in 2023.6.6, I updated to .8.

I'm not convinced wipers have changed significantly since 2019.. they still flip between adequate and crap, still wipe in bright sunlight..

Unless you had two cars driving through exactly the same weather with different firmware it's impossible to measure properly.
I’m one who appears to be on the fortunate side of the wiper divide and they VERY rarely don’t work as promptly as I like and they don’t dry wipe. Whereas I have to intervene periodically with my e208.

Yesterday I was shocked when sitting in traffic going into central london, when it wasn’t raining, to see the Tesla M3 behind me in the jam having its wipers dry wiping. I couldn’t see any use of screen wash. I missed an opportunity to stop and ask for their software version for better diagnosis 😀but saw something that I’ve never experienced in nearly 3.5 yrs. I’ll consider myself lucky.

I find wipers vary day to day irrespective of the software version. I’ve thought in the past they’d got it sorted only to change my mind on the next wet drive. I drove our other car in the rain with an old school rain sensor and in fairness I did find myself adjusting the sensitivity, after which it was fine, so I’m not sure either system in infallible/is set and forget, but the non tesla a, has a sensitivity adjustment, and b, it’s really easy to do.

Reactions: Nick77 and GlynG
Pressing the indicator button whenever the second situation arises

The bit I don't understand is why Tesla isn't harvesting that "Driver override" and using that data to tune the AI / software.

Heck, they should also provide a double-tap for when wipers are too fast - for feedback. Or maybe double-tap for speed-up and long-press for slow-down.

Heck2, that could be used to "adjust" how it performs, in that car, at that time.

I drove our other car in the rain with an old school rain sensor

I've only had Teslas since 2015, so no doubt other cars have improvements, but prior to that I never drove a car with rain sensor that I liked. "Good enough" but, personally, I don't want double-speed except in a monsoon deluge, and all of them (Tesla included) eagerly indulge in double-speed - I find it very distracting. And (back then) the adjustment didn't improve their behaviour to the point where I could just fit-and-forget. Back then 90% of my driving would have been VW, so I did not have much other-comparison ... the VW TACC was dreadful too - hare up behind the car in front and jump on brakes at last moment - no "ease off" type behaviour.

I've been talking (to myself) about applying Rain-X "forever" ... I probably ought to get on with that.

The wipers for me are still annoying.

If it’s not raining and it’s only road spray, they don’t wipe until you can’t see anything.

They wipe in overcast weather as soon as they see water, but they’ll carry on dry wiping if it’s overcast and no longer raining. Only thing that stops that is if the sun comes out.

My 2015 c class had much better wipers than these.

I've been talking (to myself) about applying Rain-X "forever" ... I probably ought to get on with that.
Be careful - I applied Rain-X to all the glass on my Model 3 early on & the wipers were terrible afterwards ('invisible' smears made worse by the wiper blades). It took ages to clear it away from the front and I never used it there again.

On the Model Y I still use Rain-X but not on the windscreen..

I’m one who appears to be on the fortunate side of the wiper divide and they VERY rarely don’t work as promptly as I like and they don’t dry wipe. Whereas I have to intervene periodically with my e208.

Yesterday I was shocked when sitting in traffic going into central london, when it wasn’t raining, to see the Tesla M3 behind me in the jam having its wipers dry wiping. I couldn’t see any use of screen wash. I missed an opportunity to stop and ask for their software version for better diagnosis 😀but saw something that I’ve never experienced in nearly 3.5 yrs. I’ll consider myself lucky.

Just my 5 cents :

I was told that there is some AI behind the functionality of those wipers. If(!) that’s the case, it might explain the difference in behaviour, for each individual car. Provided, of course, that this AI is being ‘fed’ by each car individually.

It’s a long shot, I admit, so if someone else has a different theory, then I’m all ears.

Just my 5 cents :

I was told that there is some AI behind the functionality of those wipers. If(!) that’s the case, it might explain the difference in behaviour, for each individual car. Provided, of course, that this AI is being ‘fed’ by each car individually.

It’s a long shot, I admit, so if someone else has a different theory, then I’m all ears.

Nothing is learned from individual cars. Its all fleet aka crowd sourced. When it first came out, called deep rain, they did say that they took inputs from the cars if you hit stalk to override but it’s been a while since I have seen any evidence of data from our car being download for any aspect. In early days it was a common occurrence, often after most drives. I guess Tesla have more data sources than they need now.

Reactions: KL0809