Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023 Holiday Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hopefully this will bring an end to the constant misinformation that’s spread by some people around Apple charging some kind of license fee for CarPlay

An Apple representative confirmed to me that there are no fees to automotive OEMs to enter Apple's Made for iPhone (MFi) program, nor any sort of ongoing royalty payments or additional fees related to CarPlay.

It looks like it’s getting it spot on from the pictures. Rear wheel close to the kerb based on the repeater cameras and that’s what the visual is showing, quite how the driver managed to get his front tyre against the kerb we’ll never know. People **** up reversing manoeuvres all the time, even with 360 cameras.
This was my car and the display was actively showing plenty of space between the front wheel and the curb as the car was parked, rim crunched into the concrete.

• Informative
Reactions: Transformer
Hopefully this will bring an end to the constant misinformation that’s spread by some people around Apple charging some kind of license fee for CarPlay

They sort of do just in a different way. You've got to write the software, get it certified along with your hardware, keep it up to date to stay compatible with newer versions of iOS, etc. That's not free, it's an ongoing cost.

Although it's fair to be aggravated by Tesla's promise of features yet to be delivered, it's never bothered me so much on my 2023 Model Y as that stuff wasn't the key sales point for me. 3 cameras plus 2 wing mirrors generally gets me there for parking. I would love my car to do all parking for me, but that feels a little way off. However, the latest visualisation change felt pretty impressive after my update this morning. Having that view did add some extra useful information as I was parking. Clever trick of processing.

I got a ticket that my friend using Waze didn’t who followed 10 mins behind me

I don't think Waze is the whole answer. For a mobile, laser, speed trap on a straight road the Waze announcement is far too late - already nabbed by then. So I have to keep looking at the "route summary" to see if there are any speed camera icons anywhere on the journey, and then be vigilant when i get close.

I don't think Waze is the whole answer. For a mobile, laser, speed trap on a straight road the Waze announcement is far too late - already nabbed by then. So I have to keep looking at the "route summary" to see if there are any speed camera icons anywhere on the journey, and then be vigilant when i get close.
This is the biggest issue with Waze. I don't understand why they can't or won't make the audible warning distance configurable. Anyway, I just got the 44.30.2 software update notification...

Or....you could drive the speed limit, pay attention to signs etc.

I must be getting old.. but I still still use my wing mirrors when parking. I judge distance to front bumper and front corners with my eye balls. I only use the backup camera for judging distance to the back bumper. I’ve even turned off all the bingbong sounds. Never crashed into anything.

Why is everyone so fussed about HFPA and sensors? How are people learning to drive and park these days? If doing a parallel park, do people first start the manoeuvre by looking at the screen? Do people look at the screen half way through or at the end?(Serious question because I genuinely don’t know.)

I get the “assist” part of it (camera’s assist with judging distance, sensors warn, etc) but it sounds like people are relying solely on this feature to park?

Why is everyone so fussed about HFPA and sensors? How are people learning to drive and park these days? If doing a parallel park, do people first start the manoeuvre by looking at the screen? Do people look at the screen half way through or at the end?(Serious question because I genuinely don’t know.)
Well for the starters, people paid for the functionality. They would like to receive that functionality working. As promised you know

Like when you order some gimmick or some useless stuff online. Sometimes it is useless for everyone else but you. But you want it . So you would be quite disappointed if things you order and pay money do not arrive.

Imho

I must be getting old.. but I still still use my wing mirrors when parking. I judge distance to front bumper and front corners with my eye balls. I only use the backup camera for judging distance to the back bumper. I’ve even turned off all the bingbong sounds. Never crashed into anything.

I get the “assist” part of it (camera’s assist with judging distance, sensors warn, etc) but it sounds like people are relying solely on this feature to park?

I am old. Compared to the cars I drove in the 70s, 80s and even 90s, my Model 3 is, in parking terms, a nightmare. You can't see anything useful through the rear screen. Back then, and when my back and neck were more flexible and there were no head restraints to peer around, looking through a rear screen would show you the rear corners of the car. The mirrors will auto-drop, but their field of view is narrower. Old cars had tall tyres with bulging sidewalls, so the worst that would happen if you touched a kerb would be a scuff on the tyre. You could safely keep going until you felt the tyre touch the kerb. We all know what happens if you touch a kerb in a Tesla. I find it difficult to know where the front corners of the car are when I cannot see them.

I have now moved to the position where I primarily use a reversing camera if I am in a car that has a decent one, and otherwise I park using the mirrors. But I have never been that great at judging distances for parallel parking and the more help i can get with that the better.

Given the plethora of parking assistance technologies that the car industry has developed, I suspect I'm far from unique in this.

Edit: And, as Yessuz just said, I ordered a car which was sold as having Park Assist technology and paid extra for it to be able to park itself and to move backwards and forwards under remote control. I've had it for more than a year now and it's only just got a reasonable Park Assist feature and the self-parking and remote control are still 'in development'.

For one thing I think its for spotting the things you don't see rather than assisting in the actual maneuvering. These are big cars with poor rear visibility. Cameras don't work well at night or in bad weather and repairs are ruinously expensive. Ultrasonic sensors are very reliable at spotting a lot of obstacles and might save you hitting something one day.

Reactions: mtndrew1 and goRt