Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023 Model 3 without USS and proximity functionality [park assist / summon not available]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First impression is that the distance shown when pulling into a spot is off. Being super anal I have been measuring it compared to the displayed distance. I would recommend halving what it says to be safe although it does tell you when it thinks you should stop which has not been wrong yet.

I like the fact it shows the sides as well, this should help with he common problem of folks dinging the passenger side rims which is a prevalent issue. Worked while parallel parking.

I find the outline it gives while driving a little odd as it's a non uniform shape around the car which keeps morphing as cars move about when in stop and go traffic.

It seems to me that Summon will be returned when the current system reaches a certain level of detection reliability. Now the calculations are jumping a lot.

This works when you can look into the cameras and make a decision, but it doesn't work for automated systems.

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve
I’m curious as to why you feel that way. Do you know of some roadblock using vision only for summon or auto park when it’s being used for far more complex features?
Because summon used sensors that are 100% reliable. I suppose when FSD reaches a point where driver monitoring isn’t required, then summon could happen. But FSD will never reach that point with vision alone and nobody will be willing to risk a damaged car from using summon.

Because summon used sensors that are 100% reliable. I suppose when FSD reaches a point where driver monitoring isn’t required, then summon could happen. But FSD will never reach that point with vision alone and nobody will be willing to risk a damaged car from using summon.
Militaries have been "face recognition" identifying using cameras from space - im pretty sure Elon is onto something here :p

That’s not how Tesla operates. Many hardware upgrades in the past resulted in a temporary loss of functionality. The worst I recall was the transition from HW1 to HW2 — it took 1-2 years for HW2 cars to reach parity with HW1 in all respects.
So why is this considered normality for Tesla? With any other car manufacturer if a feature stops working they are required to fix it under warranty? I’m referring to non Beta features.

Reactions: XPsionic
So why is this considered normality for Tesla? With any other car manufacturer if a feature stops working they are required to fix it under warranty? I’m referring to non Beta features.

Because TEsla isn't like any other car company. It's success is mostly driven by a huge fan base. It also is the only one that can "dynamically" implement upgrades without dealer visits,

I think your definition of warranty is overly broad. If Apple removes a feature in iOS, it doesn't count as "defects in materials or workmanship" which is the tight language used in virtually all warranties. Other car manufacturers do not do OTA or barely do it (friend with Taycan's OTA was 3 days at the dealer). Also, these are generally not regressive and tied to a new hardware release, so, for instance with HW2, these are cars that shipped with HW2, they never had the capabilities of HW1 in the first place to lose them. So your car starts with less functionality due to a new config and gets it added, a specific no-USS car (which is also how warranties work, applied to a specific vehicle and not all vehicles of that make and model from time immemorial) hasn't really lost parking alerts, it only gained them. One might argue that Tesla Vision AP, with lower limits on top speed and follow distance, counts as a regression in capability, but again, warranties do not cover feature changes due to software.

All AP features were considered beta when Tesla transitioned from HW1 to HW2, and most are still considered beta today. That's just the way Tesla rolls. The manual and the touchscreen identify which features are beta.