Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023 Model 3 without USS and proximity functionality [park assist / summon not available]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The only place not backed into is at Costco, for easy access to the hatch. Backing in to other places allows use of rear view camera and it just allows for a great view when exiting a parking space with forward motion. No USS needed when backing in and exiting forward.
I did some testing today and it appears that the bottom of the rear view camera image gives you a bit more than a foot clearance of the bumper and hatch of the Model Y.

Reactions: zoomer0056
Took delivery of a M3P in December, and assumed the USS we had in the leased M3LR would also be in the top trim. Then I that they hadn’t put them in and expected they’d replace with vision shortly. Now it’s three months later, the car is still less functional than the lower trim model we had to return except in that it’s slightly faster, and we’ve already scraped two of those stupidly expensive wheels because we can’t see how close we are to things.

I’m not selling it immediately, but unless this is fixed soon it won’t be replaced with another Tesla. The experience has not been a positive one.

Took delivery of a M3P in December, and assumed the USS we had in the leased M3LR would also be in the top trim. Then I that they hadn’t put them in and expected they’d replace with vision shortly. Now it’s three months later, the car is still less functional than the lower trim model we had to return except in that it’s slightly faster, and we’ve already scraped two of those stupidly expensive wheels because we can’t see how close we are to things.

I’m not selling it immediately, but unless this is fixed soon it won’t be replaced with another Tesla. The experience has not been a positive one.
Note you can bring up the side cameras in the rear view camera view (which can be turned on even if going forward) by pressing the button or sliding up under the rear camera. I find this much more useful than USS to avoid curbing (the USS don't really help in this regard).

Note you can bring up the side cameras in the rear view camera view (which can be turned on even if going forward) by pressing the button or sliding up under the rear camera. I find this much more useful than USS to avoid curbing (the USS don't really help in this regard).
This. Curbing is impossible when using the three reverse cameras. My main issue without USS is knowing if my corners (front left, front right, rear left, rear right) are clear of obstacles when turning sharply into or out of tight parking spaces.

Reactions: enemji
Park Assist Alerts will be returning in software update 2022.44.11 (release date TBD)

Here's what the interface will look like:

FrlmUnaXoAIzBxe

because we can’t see how close we are to things
Until this function comes back, you can practice safely with just your eyes in an empty parking lot. My dad thought me how to parallel park using plastic garbage cans. The more people expect help with things, the less they can do when that help is missing. Take myself for example. A calculator in high-school ruined me. It's difficult to do simple math in my head without curbing.

A lot of the articles bury the lede a bit- with an occupancy grid you will get 360 degree coverage with some inference on what the cameras can't see (if it can see the obstacle while approaching, it can in theory maintain awareness of that obstacle even if obscured). USS sensors do not have lateral sensing hence the eyebrows front and rear- there is potential for this to be better than before as USS can't detect curbs at all today. Giant grain of salt until the product actually ships, it's already been too long since USS was deleted.

There have been several reports and videos demonstrating how 2023 Tesla cars without the USS(proximity sensors) will not come with any proximity functionality.

Now, it is certainly possible that these features will be re-enabled by using the cameras instead of the sensors in a future update. However, there are blind spots below the front bumper that the cameras cannot see. Perhaps they are just going to assume the objects don’t move after they go out of view?

I just want everyone to understand that until the update comes the 2023 cars are missing functionality that some customers might see as essential especially if you park your car in a tight space or garage.

I purchased M3P on December 21st, and wish I read this.
Didn't even realized this is a thing, and my wife ( who i got the car for ) absolutely needs this.
This is standard technology on sub 20K cars ( if there are any anymore - but you get the idea)
What is my beloved EM thinking?

How has no one with FSD beta 11 and a Vision only car tested the new functionality yet? Wish I had kept my car on FSD beta, but I stopped my subscription in January.
Good question. My guess is most or all of the OG beta testers (that is, those who have been testing for a while) bought their cars before the USSs we're removed. IOW, no one who purchased their car since Oct, 2022 has FSDb V11. 3.2.

Reactions: zoomer0056