Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023 Model 3 without USS and proximity functionality [park assist / summon not available]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When i think about it, my daughters 2012 Chevy Volt with USS goes nuts too.
So - maybe all this complaining about tesla isn't valid
sure yeah cars will go nuts, beeping everywhere as all sensors are engaged at proximity at different locations. Sometimes registering the bicylce frame and for a split second recognizing the sticking out pedals. That stuff is known and normal (of course could be better but people are used to it) Big difference to tesla is though that atleast the sounds are directional. They beep at the spot where the danger is / sensor is engaged. Tesla never added directional parking chimes sadly, its an intutive way to use the parking aids. Tesla has general chimes that are there to make you look for the problem instead of directly knowing it by having it directional.
Tesla just does not seem to have a "filter" on their visualisations. It shows what it recongizes every split second. Lane marking jumping right and left, cars and trucks that are along side of you on the highway bounce in their lane. Its just a visualisation without dumbing it down to be user friendly. it should be recognizing a line, recongizing it again for some reason next to the first recognition and draw the visualisation inbetween the two. So filtering the visuals you get. It can still do the jumping in it backend but in my opinion not to the user. Same goes for the semi trucks parked and displaying / not displaying along side you in your garage. Car turns on, recognised something big next to you = must be a semi, next frame gets processed = not a semi, next one is a semi again. And then it jumps between yes and no semi in visualisations instead of filtering out the visuals. If its not sure it should go the one that is less annoying for the user.

I purchased my car in April and I have FSD, yet auto park and smart summon are still not available after several software updates. Is it a limitation of Tesla Vision? If so, then Tesla needs to stop marketing their cars with these features.

If yours is a car without USS and reliant totally upon TV, then yes, that is your issue. Who knows when, if ever, it will get fixed. That is why I looked for a used 2022 with USS so I wouldn't have to play the Tesla waiting game. I only buy what I know will work with Tesla having been burnt in the past when they rolled out TV as they removed radar from my car.

Fool me once; shame on you and all that.

Reactions: SabrToothSqrl
I purchased my car in April and I have FSD, yet auto park and smart summon are still not available after several software updates. Is it a limitation of Tesla Vision? If so, then Tesla needs to stop marketing their cars with these features.
Considering that they removed radar two years ago and have never achieved full parity with the Vision software in those two years, you will never get functioning stuff. They'll be moving onto new "Highland" hardware in a few weeks and won't give a damn about your legacy platform.

Despite what the enthusiasts claim, full Level 5 FSD is not coming any time soon, and never to old hardware.

Considering that they removed radar two years ago and have never achieved full parity with the Vision software in those two years, you will never get functioning stuff. They'll be moving onto new "Highland" hardware in a few weeks and won't give a damn about your legacy platform.

Despite what the enthusiasts claim, full Level 5 FSD is not coming any time soon, and never to old hardware.
If you believe the fanbois, it is as good, if not better, than when it previously had radar. In my daily usage of AP and TACC, it is still worse. I could easily tell when I went through the transition of having radar disabled on my S. It was clearly worse after removing radar and going purely TV.

sadly true... my 2019 Model 3 came with radar but was later "force migrated" onto Vision only and the radar input deleted... now "project highland" likely will come with radar added back in ...

Just going to say for the record that my former 2016 AP1 90D MS was the best AP I have ever experienced. (Mobileye)

I’ve since been through a few AP2.0 MS models and now an early 2022 M3 w/ USS and a mid 2022 MYP w/USS. None of which were or are are smooth as the 2016 MS was at autopilot. I’m not referring to added functions like traffic light recognition…I mean straight up EAP as it is today Vs what was 7 yrs ago. I drove home in April 2016 with my first Tesla and actually used AP the entire highway drive home for 45 min…zero nags, zero phantom braking and zero abrupt speed changes! I was in awe and couldn’t stop my excitement.

Enter 2023…seems like regression on many fronts. Oh the good ol days 🤷🏽‍♂️

Oh and the USS on both my 22’s are a godsend in our garage and for my wife especially. No issues whatsoever.

Reactions: texas_star_TM3
I have a 2023 M3P which as we all know does not have USS, only Tesla Vision. In the past when selecting "Upgrades" there was a disclaimer on "Enhanced Autopilot" that during the migration to Tesla Vision Autopark, Summon and Smart Summon would not be available. I noticed this morning that the disclaimer has been removed. Does this indicate that if one were to purchase EAP that all functionality would now be available?

If you believe the fanbois, it is as good, if not better, than when it previously had radar. In my daily usage of AP and TACC, it is still worse. I could easily tell when I went through the transition of having radar disabled on my S. It was clearly worse after removing radar and going purely TV.
I've got 2018 Model 3 with USS. My girlfriend just bought a 2023 Model 3 without. While the graphics are nicer in her car, the accuracy of the parking distances is noticeably worse and borderline unusable (routinely saying the car is right on the curb when it's more than a foot away). TV is not remotely near parity with USS for parking.

Reactions: jbrady3324
I've got 2018 Model 3 with USS. My girlfriend just bought a 2023 Model 3 without. While the graphics are nicer in her car, the accuracy of the parking distances is noticeably worse and borderline unusable (routinely saying the car is right on the curb when it's more than a foot away). TV is not remotely near parity with USS for parking.
That should have said “2023 Model Y”…

With the introduction of front bumper cameras on the Cybertruck AND Highland model 3 refresh, it’s safe to say that these cameras won’t be ‘reserved’ for the trucks and bigger cars as some have speculated, but rather to all Tesla vehicles moving forward.

Why’s that? Because Musk finally realized for tesla vision, a camera-only driving system, to achieve ‘FSD’ (whatever that means), it CANNOT HAVE A 1 METER LONG BLIND SPOT in FRONT of the vehicle.

“But, Musk has already shown us how great v12 is”

It’s been nearing a year since Musk decided to jump the gun, save money, and remove ultrasonic sensors to save a few bucks. It took Tesla nearly half a year to for them to introduce some form of parking assist – a terrible, quarter-baked solution. It sucks, plain and simple.

It’s so bad, Tesla can’t rely on current vision-only vehicles to implement features they developed back in 2020 – summon and autopark. Features that are vital to ‘full-self driving’. That’s why they dropped FSD price by 3K yesterday, the newest cars can’t even do the tricks their 6 year old cars can do.

Whatever AI is out now right now (old code, occupancy network, ‘end to end’) can’t accurately predict distances to do this. Even if Tesla figures out distances to the millimeter somehow, with v69 some day, they can’t fix the blind spot in front of the car. Stans say Tesla can design cars to reverse into spots so it might not accidentally run something over. I say don’t be like Zoolander – be an ambi-turner (I’d argue turning left isn’t as important as moving forward).

They can’t fix parking.

They can’t fix car creep.

They can’t deliver on FSD with current USS-less, vision only driving systems.

We got Musked, again! When will we learn?

What is the accuracy/precision of distance measurement using the cameras? Is it in inches, feets, yards or car lengths?
The display is the same as the USS given they just shoehorned it into the same UI. So it shows the distance as inches or cm depending on market.

Whether those measurements are accurate is a different story however. Some people get decent results, some pretty bad (especially in the front where it has to guesstimate much more given it has a big blind spot which it can't see directly).

Well, this is certainly making my decision to possibly back out of my 2019 M3 trade-in on *Tuesday* of next week, for a MY, along with FSD transfer, very difficult! Yes, I will lose $250. But...my 2019 M3 has USS and the battery is still going strong with only negligible degradation. Maybe the smart move is to keep my M3 as impractical as it can be for my family of 5. Ugh!

Reactions: jbrady3324
Well, this is certainly making my decision to possibly back out of my 2019 M3 trade-in on *Tuesday* of next week, for a MY, along with FSD transfer, very difficult! Yes, I will lose $250. But...my 2019 M3 has USS and the battery is still going strong with only negligible degradation. Maybe the smart move is to keep my M3 as impractical as it can be for my family of 5. Ugh!

I’ve made the decision. I backed out of my purchase (with FSD transfer) and will wait to buy a refreshed Y or a car from another manufacturer.

I’ve driven the 23 Y a bunch of times. Great car but the lack of USS and front camera is awful. The 2023 models will be the only models without USS and/or a front camera.