Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023 Model Y LR Poor Mileage in real world

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I find I'm much happier and more relaxed since I stopped thinking about efficiency or looking at range, other than checking to see whether I have enough to get where I'm going-- at the same level of concern as checking the gas gauge when pulling out of the garage. Having done two long trips (one 1600 the other 650miles) since getting the car I find the mapped supercharger stops have worked perfectly, that I'm ready for a break by the time the car wants a charge, and that it's typically done charging by the time I've found a beverage and a bio-break. I just drive the car, charge when it tells me to, and life has been good. Just as I never wanted to fret about my trip to trip MPG and how it might have varied with temperature or speed I don't want to have to think about it in this car-- and so far it hasn't been necessary. It might be different if I lives where chargers were scarcer, but this side of the Mississippi it really doesn't seem to be an issue.
I like your attitude. I do the same. Display % (not miles) and let the nav plug in the supercharger stop. % at supercharger stop and destination amazingly accurate. I used to set the sc stop when charge rates were very different but now they are all about same where I travel, so just let the nav decide. Makes life easier.

My range is even worse. 2023 YLR in Chicago. Usually 35-40 degrees, which is a factor no doubt - but I'm getting about 1.1 to 1.2 miles per percent of battery. Chill mode, never over 70 mph, flat roads, preconditioning as recommended, and climate control set to 62. I drive 80-100 miles per week and must recharge weekly. Double the range - 220 - would be acceptable to me given the marketed range is triple what I get.

My range is even worse. 2023 YLR in Chicago. Usually 35-40 degrees, which is a factor no doubt - but I'm getting about 1.1 to 1.2 miles per percent of battery. Chill mode, never over 70 mph, flat roads, preconditioning as recommended, and climate control set to 62. I drive 80-100 miles per week and must recharge weekly. Double the range - 220 - would be acceptable to me given the marketed range is triple what I get.
Little details add up and can affect range.

What is the cold tire pressure?

Is the exterior clean?

Do you sometimes use a roof top cargo carrier or a bicycle rack?

What does the Energy display show for your energy use while driving and while parked (since last charge.)

We usually describe efficiency in terms of Watt hours (Wh) per mile (or km.) The Tesla Model Y Energy Consumption display will provide the Wh/mi over the last 5/15/30 miles. If you swipe left on the Music control panel on the lower left of the screen the energy consumption will be displayed. (Swipe left a second time for the tire pressure readout.)

A interesting conversation, and one with knowledgeable folks chiming in. Great, since I'm certainly not. A few thoughts I'd appreciate comment on:
  1. Folks talk about range and power consumption in the same sentence all the time. In my view, and one I don't know how to acquire data for, I see them as quite different. I see:
    1. W/h consumer from battery while driving. This to me is the range discussion.
    2. But folks talk about pre-conditioning (certainly, if possible) and the like as if its free. Yet that's a direct operating cost.
  2. That gets me to this then:
    1. I see how I can get "used while driving". Does MY capture total power taken from the EVSE's?
    2. If "total energy consumed" is available, how accurate is it believed to be?
  3. What (on topic only please) don't I know/understand this time?
Finally a comment: While winter range does look to be range challenged the data reported here, if it's total consumption, is really excellent. If we assume an annual average of 280Wh/mi over 15,000 miles I get 4,200,000wh, 4,200 KW, or 4.2MW. Ay 10c per KW/h (nobody gets that, but you can do the math darn quick from there) that's $420. In my area that would be more like $630 of electricity per year. for 15,000 miles. Lets use $4/gal annual average cost of gasoline, and I could buy 157 galllons of fuel. I don't know what car you drive, but I don't have anything that gets 95MPG...

And thus back to: How much energy is it really taking?

?
:)

The charging statistics data can be displayed within the Tesla app. This is a rolling 31 day average or year to date. This will display kWh you used to charge your Model Y. Cost per kWh consumed is tracked for Home, Work or Other and for Supercharging. So roughly if you use 400 kWh per 31 days; 400 kWh X 12 months for 4800 kWh and pay $0.20 per kWh (average kWh cost) for $960 per year for the electricity you used over a year to charge your Tesla vehicle. If you drive 15,000 miles per year then your cost per mile would be $960 / 15,000 = $0.064 per mile. This cost ($960) includes all kWh including charging overhead, driving, idling, preconditioning, preconditioning for Supercharging, screen time watching video and game time etc.

If you want to only look at the kWh consumed while driving (wheels up) then the Trip Odometer can be helpful. The Tesla Modle Y Trip Odometers include Trip A, Trip B (many rename Trip B to be Lifetime) mileage and consumption in kWh while driving. Of course you can also see the miles driven and the kWh used since last charge or for the current drive.

Reactions: spacemnspiff
Thank you sir (or madam, or.. kind person (smh). I appreciate the tip!

I take it you believe this is power consumed from the meter, not battery delivered to the battery (two different things). Is that correct? Do you also believe this shows power drawn to pre-conditioning, (which I understand if docked doesn't come from the battery)?

Oh dear: 125M/58 KWH = 2.1 miles per KW, or .464KW/mi. Not at all good. Best I learn how this thing works pretty quickly ( I am).

Thank you sir (or madam, or.. kind person (smh). I appreciate the tip!

I take it you believe this is power consumed from the meter, not battery delivered to the battery (two different things). Is that correct? Do you also believe this shows power drawn to pre-conditioning, (which I understand if docked doesn't come from the battery)?

Oh dear: 125M/58 KWH = 2.1 miles per KW, or .464KW/mi. Not at all good. Best I learn how this thing works pretty quickly ( I am).
For the Tesla Model Y Charging Stats within the Tesla app, yes from the grid. When you view the trip data you may see 50 miles driven, 14 kWh used or similar. What is not shown is the total energy recovered via regenerative braking over the 50 miles driven (could be more than 10% of the total energy.) Remember that regenerative braking can only recover some of the energy used to accelerate the Tesla vehicle from 0 MPH to Xx MPH; not the energy used while driving at a steady rate of Xx MPH. Regenerative braking when descending to a lower elevation can also recover a significant percentage of the energy used when ascending to the elevation.

All power used by the Tesla Model Y comes from the high voltage battery or low voltage system (powered and recharged from the high voltage battery.) First, there is no redundant high voltage wiring as this would add to cost, weight and just makes no sense. The high voltage components include the drive unit motors and the HVAC compressor. These components are wired to the high voltage side of the Tesla Model Y. The input from the grid varies in voltage and maximum power; 120V or 240V and between 1kW and 11.5kW. Supercharging currently is at ~400 to 440 VDC.

The high voltage components operate at ~360V and can draw 3.5 kW, per motor stator (times two so 7kW), when warming the high voltage battery and an additional 5kW or more when the HVAC compressor is running. (The drive units can instantaneously consume more than several hundred kW when the Tesla Model Y is being driven under full acceleration but for this discussion the Model Y is parked, plugged in.)

Assuming the Tesla Model Y is plugged in and charging at 240V and 32 amps, 7.7kW, the power used while preconditioning can exceed the power supplied from the grid. The only way this can happen is if the high voltage battery supplies the needed power and the grid is recharging the high voltage battery. Supercharging could supply the needed power from the grid but there would have to be redundant high voltage wiring; as it is Supercharging power goes into the battery.

Last edited:
10-4.

OK... If all power drawn is from battery (that's clearly stated) and the OBC is charging, is not the OBC just passing power through and no being logged as a "draw" on the battery (unless needed)?

Thanks!
Yes, in a sense the power is passing through, but first the on-board charger has to boost the input line voltage from 120V or 240V up to 360V and then rectify to DC to charge the high voltage battery. Power from the high voltage battery is at ~360V DC. The drive units and the HVAC compressor use AC motors so the power from the battery must be converted to AC before it can be used. The on-board charger does not have the electronics needed to convert DC to AC, only AC to DC. Supercharging bypasses the on-board charger, the ~400V DC supplied by the Supercharger can be used directly to charge the high voltage battery. In a sense Supercharging can be thought of as passing power through the high voltage battery.

I find I'm much happier and more relaxed since I stopped thinking about efficiency or looking at range, other than checking to see whether I have enough to get where I'm going-- at the same level of concern as checking the gas gauge when pulling out of the garage. Having done two long trips (one 1600 the other 650miles) since getting the car I find the mapped supercharger stops have worked perfectly, that I'm ready for a break by the time the car wants a charge, and that it's typically done charging by the time I've found a beverage and a bio-break. I just drive the car, charge when it tells me to, and life has been good. Just as I never wanted to fret about my trip to trip MPG and how it might have varied with temperature or speed I don't want to have to think about it in this car-- and so far it hasn't been necessary. It might be different if I lives where chargers were scarcer, but this side of the Mississippi it really doesn't seem to be an issue.
Amen!! Great point.. I think there’s so much focus on efficiency that we tend to overlook the reason why we all bought a Tesla and love driving it.. I’m not obsessed with the mileage but know that it’s been great fun driving it and getting the best out of the experience..

I think it's reasonable to be concerned when the range is so far off EPA. With a gas car there never reach either but it's not as far, and not as affected by using heat, accelerating, going up hills, etc. Gas cars don't have vampire battery usage. Since one of the big marketing features is the savings in going green using electricity vs gas, this comes up a lot. Plus someone like me who bought this for long trips to visit family in mountainous region, this will never make it without a mid trip recharge. Even then I'm concerned the the battery draw in the mountains will leave me stranded. But driving in urban areas, yeah I don't worry about it... Though I still try to drive to get the best energy usage, it's become a game for me. One time I reached -17Wh/mi driving from my house 😂

Reactions: vishnumrao
I think it's reasonable to be concerned when the range is so far off EPA. With a gas car there never reach either but it's not as far, and not as affected by using heat, accelerating, going up hills, etc. Gas cars don't have vampire battery usage. Since one of the big marketing features is the savings in going green using electricity vs gas, this comes up a lot. Plus someone like me who bought this for long trips to visit family in mountainous region, this will never make it without a mid trip recharge. Even then I'm concerned the the battery draw in the mountains will leave me stranded. But driving in urban areas, yeah I don't worry about it... Though I still try to drive to get the best energy usage, it's become a game for me. One time I reached -17Wh/mi driving from my house 😂
Swiping fail last night
Should be "With a gas car they never reach either but it's not as far off"

sorry to jump on here folks but regardless of what i do in my model y long range i cannot get over 113 miles , from service i have had every excuse under the sun , its got to the point i have told them they either figure it out and i wont collect it until such a time , it really is winding me up as i am driving a 69 plate model 3 performance and i get way closer to 240 miles during the winter and that has 46,000 on clock and be lucky if i charge it once a week compared to three times a week on model y long range , the latest responce from service is a third party app is wakening the car up and keeping it awake for 4.5 hours and using 36% of battery so when i get in its down one % from day before then it starts dissapearing quickly . any ideas on what next to ask service .

sorry to jump on here folks but regardless of what i do in my model y long range i cannot get over 113 miles , from service i have had every excuse under the sun , its got to the point i have told them they either figure it out and i wont collect it until such a time , it really is winding me up as i am driving a 69 plate model 3 performance and i get way closer to 240 miles during the winter and that has 46,000 on clock and be lucky if i charge it once a week compared to three times a week on model y long range , the latest responce from service is a third party app is wakening the car up and keeping it awake for 4.5 hours and using 36% of battery so when i get in its down one % from day before then it starts dissapearing quickly . any ideas on what next to ask service .
what all do you connect to the MYLR that got the service dept to suspect it might be a third party app?

It's easy for service to see if the car's being woken up, so that's likely correct. Cancel, suspend, or do what you have to do to stop all 3reds party, then reset your Tesla passwords. In fact, reset them in front of the tesla service folks and then let them have it for a few days to confirm its 1% or lower per day now. If not it's there problem, if so yours.