Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023 Model Y LR Poor Mileage in real world

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Any such thing a break in on these.
Mine seems really good if I believe the trip reports.
273 watts pre mile and lower but there is phantom draw at night .
Which I expected.
Standard wheels because I wanted a softer ride and longer lasting
tires.

Any such thing a break in on these.
Mine seems really good if I believe the trip reports.
273 watts pre mile and lower but there is phantom draw at night .
Which I expected.
Standard wheels because I wanted a softer ride and longer lasting
tires.
273 kWh? That pretty high, you must have a lead foot. MYLR my wife takes for their 50 mile one way commute, she averages about 214-224 kWh per mile. In my 22 MYP I get about 250-275 kWh.

Don't confuse watts per mile with kw per mile. If it where KW it
would have a decimal point in front of it.
Also If haven't quite figured out how the trade off between
in City driving with stop and go and a highway cruise at fixed
speed effects efficiency on these.
I think I am driving slower in this car than I was in my gas car
in general mostly because the height effects the speed perception.
It's hard not to goose it once in awhile.
Such effortless smooth acceleration.
When I did reasearch here anything under 300 was pretty good.
so 3 to 4 miles per KW seemed about average to great.

So was testing how many usable battery I have for my 2022 MYP with 25k miles. Charged to 100% and drove it for a few days down to 0%. Screen actually show 1 miles left. The car was losing power but I can feel I can go another 10-15 miles if I push it. It was 2a so I didn't want to take a chance. Juiced it back up to 100% and my screen show 74 kWh.

I continue my range testing the following days. Here's my data.

74 kwh, i drove 295 miles

79 kwh (what ppl said usable when new), 318 miles

82 kwh battery pack (new*), 330 miles

so yea, u can get EPA! it really depend on how u drive, where u drive, elevation, what u carrying...and many more factors. lol. U just need to avg 250 wh/mi.

if anyone wonder. Im from the Sf Bay Area. 45-60 F degree lately. Mix driving, 50/50 street/hwy. 5-10 miles over limit. Standard mode. Family of 3. Model Y Performance with 25k miles and sitting on 19" Martian wheels with Michelin pilot sport 4 summer tires with 15k miles. And 42 PSI cold.

Im pretty happy with my result. Always in my mind can a MY get EPA if I really try. My life avg wh/mi on the 19" is 265. This is combination of everything. Some fun here and there when solo. But caution with family.

68D88270-0464-4037-BFB8-D0C1FBEE0E13.jpeg7C359565-51EF-49AE-A170-064176A41FDC.jpegBA9DEC7C-AF76-4618-A491-ED11C7C99458.jpeg

Reactions: AlexHung and Kupe
I recently picked up my 2023 model y LR and have driven it less than 400 miles (600km) but noticed it has really horrible mileage.

Two Instances:
  • I would go 10 miles (16km) in city driving and it would eat up 6% battery making the mileage 166 miles (270km) on full charge.
  • In another instance I drove it 40 miles (65km) and it used up 20%, making the mileage 200 miles (355km) on full charge.

The energy consumption menu states pretty normal ranges at 216 miles at 78% making it 277 miles (446km) at full charge. According to the other screens I am also using a lot of energy at lifetime 318Wh/mile (198wh/km).

Setup:
  • 2023 Model Y Long Range Dual Motor AWD
  • 20" induction wheels
  • 5 seater
  • Lithium Ion Battery (Not LFP)
  • British Columbia, Canada
Driving Environment:
I drive like a grandpa and have my profile set on "chill" plus I did not do any highway driving so all my miles are within 45 miles/h (70km/h). It also has not been very cold at around 44.6°F (7°C) ambient temperature and I like to set my cabin temperature at 70°F (21°C) with the driver seat heater at level 1. I also always start my ride at 85% battery since that is my charge limit. With all these factors I feel like the consumption is still insanely high.

Does anyone else have poor mileage: Does this warrant concerns? Should I take my Tesla in to examine given the novelty of the car and the fact that I want to point out any factory defects early on?

View attachment 893847View attachment 893846
You’re still breaking in the tires. Every time you buy new tires your efficiency will take a hit for 1,500 miles or so.

Reactions: 30seconds and amo2u
You’re still breaking in the tires. Every time you buy new tires your efficiency will take a hit for 1,500 miles or so.
I agree with the above post. I had similar concerns when I first picked up my Y. I was coming from a 3 so I was really disappointed in the range. I am about 1,500 miles in now and my range has improved drastically. I’m sure the warmer temps help but I was close to 315 wh/mi and I’m down to about 245 now so I’m happy that I should be able to achieve the rated 318-330 miles.

It gets better!

I find I'm much happier and more relaxed since I stopped thinking about efficiency or looking at range, other than checking to see whether I have enough to get where I'm going-- at the same level of concern as checking the gas gauge when pulling out of the garage.
We can't place more value on fear than opportunity! Curiosity is the staple for all who experience joy, love and fulfillment. We can release expectations and embrace the willingness to respect and accept the reality, and learn from each other. We might feel a little nervous and scared to take action in the beginning, but we can do anything with humility, discipline, and practice.

I appreciate your thoughts on staying relaxed. There is no point splitting hairs over the issues we can't control. After 1,100 mi of driving my new 2023 MYLR7, the initial nervousness has faded away. The reality has emerged, and I'm enjoying the adventures of this life with renewed confidence and humility. My Best!

For the Tesla Model Y Charging Stats within the Tesla app, yes from the grid. When you view the trip data you may see 50 miles driven, 14 kWh used or similar. What is not shown is the total energy recovered via regenerative braking over the 50 miles driven (could be more than 10% of the total energy.) Remember that regenerative braking can only recover some of the energy used to accelerate the Tesla vehicle from 0 MPH to Xx MPH; not the energy used while driving at a steady rate of Xx MPH. Regenerative braking when descending to a lower elevation can also recover a significant percentage of the energy used when ascending to the elevation.

All power used by the Tesla Model Y comes from the high voltage battery or low voltage system (powered and recharged from the high voltage battery.) First, there is no redundant high voltage wiring as this would add to cost, weight and just makes no sense. The high voltage components include the drive unit motors and the HVAC compressor. These components are wired to the high voltage side of the Tesla Model Y. The input from the grid varies in voltage and maximum power; 120V or 240V and between 1kW and 11.5kW. Supercharging currently is at ~400 to 440 VDC.

The high voltage components operate at ~360V and can draw 3.5 kW, per motor stator (times two so 7kW), when warming the high voltage battery and an additional 5kW or more when the HVAC compressor is running. (The drive units can instantaneously consume more than several hundred kW when the Tesla Model Y is being driven under full acceleration but for this discussion the Model Y is parked, plugged in.)

Assuming the Tesla Model Y is plugged in and charging at 240V and 32 amps, 7.7kW, the power used while preconditioning can exceed the power supplied from the grid. The only way this can happen is if the high voltage battery supplies the needed power and the grid is recharging the high voltage battery. Supercharging could supply the needed power from the grid but there would have to be redundant high voltage wiring; as it is Supercharging power goes into the battery.
There’s two things here at the beginning that I’m not sure I agree with: 1) in my experience, the stats shown in the app are the kWh charged, not the power from the grid. Our local L2 chargers show the amount of electricity consumed and it is consistently larger than what the app reports. This is also my experience when comparing to the wall charger API session wh. 2) I don’t believe the app shows preconditioning power usage at all as it doesn’t count as « charging ».
Unfortunately getting the full picture isn’t straightforward without good data, but IME the wall usage is about 1.1x to 1.2x what the app says (more if you use preconditioning), and 1.5x or more whatever the trip meter says.

There’s two things here at the beginning that I’m not sure I agree with: 1) in my experience, the stats shown in the app are the kWh charged, not the power from the grid. Our local L2 chargers show the amount of electricity consumed and it is consistently larger than what the app reports. This is also my experience when comparing to the wall charger API session wh. 2) I don’t believe the app shows preconditioning power usage at all as it doesn’t count as « charging ».
Unfortunately getting the full picture isn’t straightforward without good data, but IME the wall usage is about 1.1x to 1.2x what the app says (more if you use preconditioning), and 1.5x or more whatever the trip meter says.
The Tesla App Charging Stats page displays kWh consumed. The Supercharging stats show this perfectly. When you charge using a Supercharger there is a cost billed to your Tesla account for the kWh consumed. The kWh value is rounded on the Charging Stats page but the SC cost is billed to a fraction of a kWh. (I don't know the Watt-hour increment for SC billing.) What your Tesla vehicle does with the kWh you purchased is not tracked by the Charging Stats.

Level 1, Level 2 charging stats may not be completely accurate. I believe recent Tesla software updates may have introduced errors into the Tesla vehicle charging data. I.e. this evening I charged using a public Level 2 station and the Tesla charging screen showed 7kWh added but the charging station still showed 6.8 kWh. (In the past when charging at this same location the Tesla charging screen might have displayed 9 kWh added to the battery while the charging station showed 9.150 kWh or similar. (I have, in the past, made it a point to compare the two values just after the Tesla charging screen flips from 8kWh to 9kWh charged so the difference is not due to rounding. That made sense (at the time.) I can't account for why the Tesla charging screen is now showing a higher value added to the battery than the charging station shows.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: GSP
The Tesla App Charging Stats page displays kWh consumed. The Supercharging stats show this perfectly. When you charge using a Supercharger there is a cost billed to your Tesla account for the kWh consumed. The kWh value is rounded on the Charging Stats page but the SC cost is billed to a fraction of a kWh. (I don't know the Watt-hour increment for SC billing.) What your Tesla vehicle does with the kWh you purchased is not tracked by the Charging Stats.

Level 1, Level 2 charging stats may not be completely accurate. I believe recent Tesla software updates may have introduced errors into the Tesla vehicle charging data. I.e. this evening I charged using a public Level 2 station and the Tesla charging screen showed 7kWh added but the charging station still showed 6.8 kWh. (In the past when charging at this same location the Tesla charging screen might have displayed 9 kWh added to the battery while the charging station showed 9.150 kWh or similar. (I have, in the past, made it a point to compare the two values just after the Tesla charging screen flips from 8kWh to 9kWh charged so the difference is not due to rounding. That made sense (at the time.) I can't account for why the Tesla charging screen is now showing a higher value added to the battery than the charging station shows.
I believe the supercharger « consumed » actually means what was delivered to the car since it matches the charging stats. Other providers show both kWh values as does Tesla‘s home charger (if you use the api). I suppose a watt meter would as well. 😁 Maybe some regulation is needed to force more transparency here.

What would be nice is if the in-car UI would show this (it must know the values) as well as showing a wh/km figure that includes all usage. When I had a gas car, it still included all gas usage as long as the engine was running. It should be the same with an electric.

New 2023 MYL delivered in March'23 in California , 1300 miles driven so far - only getting 250 miles real-world range-
*Not driven over 70 miles speed,
*Chill mode setting
*Sentry mode is off.

All settings are at optimal verified by Tesla service still range is 250 miles.

Tesla service cannot explain or resolve and they are saying wait for one year and range will improve. To me that is absolutely BS what do you guys think? Is it fair for me to wait and what happens if range did not go up even after a year?

I am wondering why there is no class action similar to one Hyundai few years ago?

What are my options? Paid for LR but getting a standard range.

CAN IT FALL INTO LEMON?

What should I do because it is really bothering me.

• Funny
Reactions: Rocky_H
CAN IT FALL INTO LEMON?

No, it cant, there is absolutely, positively, unequivocally nothing (zero, zip, nada, zilch, any other word for nothing in any other language you want to insert) wrong with your car, and there are probably 1000 posts here with similar feedback which is why I moved your newly created thread into one of the many others on this exact topic.

At a really high level:

1. "never driven over 70MPH" doesnt really mean anything, since EPA range tests are like 40MPH
2. The effective range does not include energy used not driving (like HVAC)
3. Unless you are doing it in one continuous trip, anything you are calculating about range doesnt matter.

if you drove at about 50-55MPH on one long trip, you would get closer to rated range. If you are not doing that, you wont.

Last edited:
New 2023 MYL delivered in March'23 in California , 1300 miles driven so far - only getting 250 miles real-world range-
*Chill mode setting
*Sentry mode is off.

Tesla service cannot explain or resolve and they are saying wait for one year and range will improve. To me that is absolutely BS what do you guys think? Is it fair for me to wait and what happens if range did not go up even after a year?

I am wondering why there is no class action similar to one Hyundai few years ago?

CAN IT FALL INTO LEMON?

Have the SC check the alignment.

Reactions: GSP
*Chill mode setting
*Sentry mode is off.

CAN IT FALL INTO LEMON?

How are you defining the range? Real-world range in a Tesla Model Y does not correlate with the EPA estimated combined city/highway estimate of 330 miles. The only way it could is if you drove at a constant 45 MPH with no Climate Control on level terrain with no head or cross wind.

What is your preferred highway speed as that will be very telling? You could achieve 280 to 290 miles of total range at a constant 70 MPH but not if you drive at 75 MPH or faster. Tesla owners who report not getting more than 200 miles of highway range like to drive faster than 80 MPH

Reactions: Rocky_H
How are you defining the range? Real-world range in a Tesla Model Y does not correlate with the EPA estimated combined city/highway estimate of 330 miles. The only way it could is if you drove at a constant 45 MPH with no Climate Control on level terrain with no head or cross wind.

What is your preferred highway speed as that will be very telling? You could achieve 280 to 290 miles of total range at a constant 70 MPH but not if you drive at 75 MPH or faster. Tesla owners who report not getting more than 200 miles of highway range like to drive faster than 80 MP
The miles I have driven from the last charge with <1% on climate control on around 45 to 50 mile speed 99% city street driving no uphill driving and driving on chill mode. Hope that explains.

The miles I have driven from the last charge with <1% on climate control on around 45 to 50 mile speed 99% city street driving no uphill driving and driving on chill mode. Hope that explains.
Short distance driving with many starts and stops is not going to yield the best range.

You should, by now, be able to see your lifetime Wh/mile efficiency using the Odometer A or B.

Example: For 270 Wh/mile with a 79 kWh battery capacity (estimate when new) / 0.270 kWh/mile = 292 miles

For 315 Wh/mile the estimated range is 250 miles. 315 Wh/mile could be considered higher than normal for many Model Y drivers. What is the tire pressure?

Another possibility is that one of the brake calipers is stuck, brake pad is rubbing. You can check for a rubbing brake pad if you drive for a distance and then carefully hold your hand close to but not touching the brake rotors. A digital infrared thermometer is a great toy (I mean tool!) that you can purchase on Amazon for about $15.

Last edited: