Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023 Model Y LR Poor Mileage in real world

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No, it cant, there is absolutely, positively, unequivocally nothing (zero, zip, nada, zilch, any other word for nothing in any other language you want to insert) wrong with your car, and there are probably 1000 posts here with similar feedback which is why I moved your newly created thread into one of the many others on this exact topic.

At a really high level:

1. "never driven over 70MPH" doesnt really mean anything, since EPA range tests are like 40MPH
2. The effective range does not include energy used not driving (like HVAC)
3. Unless you are doing it in one continuous trip, anything you are calculating about range doesnt matter.

if you drove at about 50-55MPH on one long trip, you would get closer to rated range. If you are not doing that, you wont.
Thanks! i was told by SC driving over 70mph will lower your range so not sure why you say doesn't really mean anything. I am talking about the actual range there could be a deviation of a reasonable % but not 25-30% lower which even SC people acknowledge.
I will take a road trip not an uphill drive to evaluate the range that way. OC to San Diego.. Let see..

Thanks! i was told by SC driving over 70mph will lower your range so not sure why you say doesn't really mean anything. I am talking about the actual range there could be a deviation of a reasonable % but not 25-30% lower which even SC people acknowledge.
I will take a road trip not an uphill drive to evaluate the range that way. OC to San Diego.. Let see..

I mean that you saying "I didnt drive over 70" means nothing as it pertains to vehicle range (other than the fact that you will never, ever, ever get close to vehicle range driving anywhere near 70 MPH) because the EPA tests are done at around 40MPH.

There is nothing wrong with your car as it pertains to range, based on what you have said and experienced., I guarantee that 10000000%.

Reactions: Rocky_H
Can you please let us know if you are affiliated with Tesla in any capacity?
You moved this thread to where, can you give the link so I can update everyone and follow if any response? New to this portal

Can you please let us know if you are affiliated with Tesla in any capacity?
You moved this thread to where, can you give the link so I can update everyone and follow if any response? New to this portal
No, Neither I nor anyone else on Tesla motors club is affiliated with Tesla in any capacity whatsoever. We have just seen more than 1000 posts here on this EXACT topic, so I decided that we didnt need another new thread on this topic so I moved Your newly created thread into the thread it is now located in (that you are posting in now) which has the same basic question.

• Informative
I understand, but 25-30% lower?
When it's cold, and there's sentry mode on during stops, yes. Batteries are more efficient when at their proper working temperature and it costs less energy to keep the cabin warm if it's already warm.

The difference in EVs vs gas cars. All the same effects in EVs are present in combustion ICEs. All of them---physics is physics. The primary difference though is that in an ICE combustion car, 75% of the energy content of the fuel is heating up the radiator and exhaust, and then lost, so all the other effects are within the other 25%. In an EV there is none of that 75%, and the 25% in ICE is the 100% of the EV efficiency. So all effects are about 4x as big in an EV.

• Helpful
No, Neither I nor anyone else on Tesla motors club is affiliated with Tesla in any capacity whatsoever. We have just seen more than 1000 posts here on this EXACT topic, so I decided that we didnt need another new thread on this topic so I moved Your newly created thread into the thread it is now located in (that you are posting in now) which has the same basic question.
Thank you! What is bothering me is that doing everything as per SC's recommendation and SC admitting that everything is optimal still getting 80 miles lower with no solution. My prior two EVs (Fiat 500 and Honda clarity electric) never had any such issues and that too in the early days of EVs and yet got the range (+- 10 miles).
Paid for LRY and got 80 miles lower with no explanation or resolution from Tesla SC that frustrates me.
Is it unreasonable to expect in return what you paid for? (paid for LRY not std. range).

Thank you! What is bothering me is that doing everything as per SC's recommendation and SC admitting that everything is optimal still getting 80 miles lower with no solution. My prior two EVs (Fiat 500 and Honda clarity electric) never had any such issues and that too in the early days of EVs and yet got the range (+- 10 miles).
Paid for LRY and got 80 miles lower with no explanation or resolution from Tesla SC that frustrates me.
Is it unreasonable to expect in return what you paid for? (paid for LRY not std. range).
There is no solution other than driving at 40-45 MPH and not taking short trips (neither of which are reasonable expectations). I will point you back to what I said earlier in response to your post:

No, it cant, there is absolutely, positively, unequivocally nothing (zero, zip, nada, zilch, any other word for nothing in any other language you want to insert) wrong with your car, and there are probably 1000 posts here with similar feedback which is why I moved your newly created thread into one of the many others on this exact topic.

At a really high level:

1. "never driven over 70MPH" doesnt really mean anything, since EPA range tests are like 40MPH
2. The effective range does not include energy used not driving (like HVAC)
3. Unless you are doing it in one continuous trip, anything you are calculating about range doesnt matter.

if you drove at about 50-55MPH on one long trip, you would get closer to rated range. If you are not doing that, you wont.

There is nothing wrong with your car.
You wont get rated range unless you drive an average of 40MPH and the entire range of the vehicle in one trip
There is nothing (absolutely nothing) a service center will be able to do for you, tell you, or fix, to change this.

Every form of this discussion that could possibly have occurred here has already occurred. You can read through all the similar feedback if you want to. here is one such thread that is the same basic discussion and is currently 5000 posts and still going:

If you search this website for "Range" you will find over 100 threads, and most of them will have the same general topic. Blame the EPA testing.

• Informative
You wont get rated range unless you drive an average of 40MPH and the entire range of the vehicle in one trip
I have a 3LR, not a YLR, and I can get reasonably close (but not equal) to the rated range in long road trips in reasonable temperatures (65F) at 65-70 mph.

I don't know if the 3LR can achieve the rated efficiency more easily than the YLR, but it's possible as it's more aerodynamic having a smaller frontal cross section.

The rated range on Teslas is a scam. It's is number with no bearing on real world driving.

In the winter I get 150 miles (from 0%-100%) so I plan on MAX 125 miles between superchargers on highways. In the summer plan on 175 to 200 miles from a full charge when driving normally.

This is how it is with Teslas. Some other electric vehicles (namely Porsche and MB) purposely under-rate their cars and they actually get better real world range than rated.

Reactions: MattM24 and gt2690b
Short distance driving with many starts and stops is not going to yield the best range.

You should, by now, be able to see your lifetime Wh/mile efficiency using the Odometer A or B.

Example: For 270 Wh/mile with a 79 kWh battery capacity (estimate when new) / 0.270 kWh/mile = 292 miles

For 315 Wh/mile the estimated range is 250 miles. 315 Wh/mile could be considered higher than normal for many Model Y drivers. What is the tire pressure?

Another possibility is that one of the brake calipers is stuck, brake pad is rubbing. You can check for a rubbing brake pad if you drive for a distance and then carefully hold your hand close to but not touching the brake rotors. A digital infrared thermometer is a great toy (I mean tool!) that you can purchase on Amazon for about $15.
Not sure what you mean by "short distance driving with many starts and stops is not going to yield the best range."

Often, drives with many stops and starts in an electric car will result in better efficiency than highway driving at constant speed.

Driving with many starts and stops is actually where electric vehicles and hybrids shine because they are able to recoup some energy through reiterative braking. Short trips in colder temps are not great because of energy needed to heat the battery and cabin but in warm temps short trips are fine.

Not sure what you mean by "short distance driving with many starts and stops is not going to yield the best range."

Often, drives with many stops and starts in an electric car will result in better efficiency than highway driving at constant speed.

Driving with many starts and stops is actually where electric vehicles and hybrids shine because they are able to recoup some energy through reiterative braking. Short trips in colder temps are not great because of energy needed to heat the battery and cabin but in warm temps short trips are fine.
Short trips with frequent stops where you park, exit the vehicle are inefficient because for this type of driving the Tesla Model Y will use energy to heat or cool the passenger cabin only to have to do so again. In winter short trips also use additional energy to warm the battery. You could turn off the Climate Control for shorter trips. In winter you can precondition the Tesla Model Y while plugged in to warm the battery.

Steady driving at a ridiculously low speed such as 28 MPH would probably enable you to drive 500 miles. The alternative, driving with normal starts and stops at traffic signals would be helped by regenerative braking but this would not come close to recovering all of the energy used to accelerate up to speed.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: HMHM and Rocky_H

I have to disagree.

Going distance X at a steady speed is more efficient than going distance X with starts and accelerations to the same cruising speed along with the corresponding slowdowns and stops.

Yes, you regain some energy through regen braking, but it does not regain 100% of the energy used in the accelerations up to speed. It's just not perfect.

Reactions: HMHM and jcanoe

It is unreasonable to expect the "ideal" EPA estimate while doing "real world" highway driving.

I have to disagree.

Going distance X at a steady speed is more efficient than going distance X with starts and accelerations to the same cruising speed along with the corresponding slowdowns and stops.

Yes, you regain some energy through regen braking, but it does not regain 100% of the energy used in the accelerations up to speed. It's just not perfect.
The expectation of city driving is that you don't generally reach highway speeds hence the higher published stop and go efficiency

Reactions: woolymammoth17
As a new owner I also found battery usage really high at first. After a month it started leveling off and seems reasonable now.

That sounds right. It happened with me too in the beginning. After several weeks, I really got good at One-peddle driving. It takes some serious practice to learn One-peddle driving. That is when I started to observe a lower energy usage, owing to a much more efficient regenerative braking.

I have a 3LR, not a YLR, and I can get reasonably close (but not equal) to the rated range in long road trips in reasonable temperatures (65F) at 65-70 mph.

I don't know if the 3LR can achieve the rated efficiency more easily than the YLR, but it's possible as it's more aerodynamic having a smaller frontal cross section.

in my relatively small sample size this definitely seems true... highway speeds kill the Y more than the 3 because of the larger frontal cross section

in my relatively small sample size this definitely seems true... highway speeds kill the Y more than the 3 because of the larger frontal cross section

The post below might provide some further insights:
The discussion is turning academic! However, the real-world observations are what matters. Based on my experience so far with my Tesla MYLR7 2023, I'm expecting no more 25 to 30 miles of driving range for every 10% battery consumption. If my SoC range is 80%, I can travel 150 to 200 mi, before hitting the 20% SoC, the orange colored, initial low battery warning.

I don't think it's very flattering. Do you all agree with this assessment?

PS: I'm using a new and improved battery charging regimen.
My Charging Best Practices:
View attachment 950549
Maintaining Li-ion (NCM & NCA) Batteries - Real-world Recommendations for BEVs. The illustrated partial recharge cycle recommendations were revised recently in light of my extensive conversations with experts and long-time Tesla owners. LFP batteries should be charged to 100% at least once every week.

These real-world driving figures are based on my own experiences and inputs from experts on this forum.

Outside Temperature and Highway Driving speed effect these a lot.
If I am around town I get about 250 watts per mile . If I am fully loaded
with windsurfing gear with a board on the racks at high way speed I get
350 watts per mile . On a 145 mile loop at highway speed I will use about
230 miles of range . If I charge to 300 miles range that leaves me with
about 70 miles when I get home . I expected this but it is a little worse than
I expected. The electric mile rating on these are pure fiction in comparison
with real world miles . The standards they use in China and Europe are even
worse. This is why I wanted to hold out for a 400 mile range to get 300 real worldbut California gas prices and the recent discounts and rebates made me
get tired of waiting. Even reccurent gives real world ranges of 180 to 260
Model Y Long Range

Reactions: woolymammoth17