Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

$2500 CA Rebate Experience?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you live in San Diego County, there’s a pilot program allow you to get preapproved for the CVRP before you buy your car. It allows you to lock in the funding before it runs out. Worked for me even though I got my car pretty early.

If you live in San Diego County, there’s a pilot program allow you to get preapproved for the CVRP before you buy your car. It allows you to lock in the funding before it runs out. Worked for me even though I got my car pretty early.

...I did this as well but did nothing for processing time I’m still waiting for my check :(

You need to wait for your plates and real registration to come in. The only thing I could apply for when I first got the car was the $500 check from PG&E. That is quite fast actually.

Edit: Sorry I had that backwards, The $2500 rebate I could apply for right away but the PG&E $500 I had to wait until registration and plates came. But the PG&E is very fast once you apply.

Hey Shygar - I just pick up my ride today. I can start the $2,500.00 process today? No need to wait for the dmv registration? I am in orange county. I think San Diego is different.

Hey Shygar - I just pick up my ride today. I can start the $2,500.00 process today? No need to wait for the dmv registration? I am in orange county. I think San Diego is different.

Congrats! Yes you can start your process today. Do it right away. I got mine last Saturday and completed the process already. To answer your earlier question, here is a link to the SCE $450 rebate. I’m guessing that you are in their territory like me.

Clean Fuel Rewards Program | SCE Clean Fuel Rewards Program

Reactions: Shygar
If you are referring the the CVRP rebate (Clean Vehicle Rebate Project) you will need to apply for it online after you receive your registration. There is no fee to apply and will take 35 days for processing (How long will it take to process my application?)

As for the HOV decal (Clean Air Vehicle (CAV) Decals - High Occupancy Vehicle HOV Lane Usage), it will cost $22 and you have to mail it in. I waited until I got my registration and plates to come in before submitting my application.

For more rebates, you can visit this page (DriveClean - PEV Resource Center).

Hey GabeX - Like you i am waiting from my plate and registration to submit the application for the HOV. Do you know if the $22 bucks is good for the life of the car or whenever they plan to change that or is it $22 annually?

Hey GabeX - Like you i am waiting from my plate and registration to submit the application for the HOV. Do you know if the $22 bucks is good for the life of the car or whenever they plan to change that or is it $22 annually?
It’s good for the life of the program. However the program is changing Jan 1 2019. So no one knows if we have to pay again.

But it’s $22 no bid deal. For the use of HOV.

Reactions: Quickstart88
I wonder how the program is changing and requires re-registering, I already have the red stickers, if they don't change the color why would I care about re-registering? Am I gonna get pulled over for not having stickers (that I have) and have them discover that I don't have it registered correctly? I am not averse to re-registering, but if there is no color change how will it be enforced?

-Randy

I wonder how the program is changing and requires re-registering, I already have the red stickers, if they don't change the color why would I care about re-registering? Am I gonna get pulled over for not having stickers (that I have) and have them discover that I don't have it registered correctly? I am not averse to re-registering, but if there is no color change how will it be enforced?

-Randy
Hey Randy - Since you already have the red sticker, can you loan the car to friends and family? Any issue if they get pulled over and later realized the sticker is not registry to the driver?

-Randy

I spoke with someone at the special processing department asking the status of my sticker and asked about the future of the program. They do not know how it will be implemented yet.

They may continue with the red stickers or they may re vamp the whole system. That’s why currently the red stickers expire the day they expire. I’m guessing if they keep red they will just have to mail everyone new registration certificates.

I have yet to get delivery of my 3. End of the month is what told by Tesla. I have a VIN#. I also have a personal license plates ordered. Will take 8-12 weeks. My questions;
  1. Do you get license plates, pre-registered with the delivery? Or you get temp registration and wait for license plates.
  2. For the CA Rebate, do I need to wait for the personalized plates, or the one I get after/with my 3 delivery?
Can someone help?

I have yet to get delivery of my 3. End of the month is what told by Tesla. I have a VIN#. I also have a personal license plates ordered. Will take 8-12 weeks. My questions;
  1. Do you get license plates, pre-registered with the delivery? Or you get temp registration and wait for license plates.
  2. For the CA Rebate, do I need to wait for the personalized plates, or the one I get after/with my 3 delivery?
Can someone help?

1. You get temp registration and you have to wait for license plates before swapping them out with your personal plate.

2. You dont need to wait. You can apply for the CA rebate using the temp registration. It uses VIN nothing to do with plates.

Can someone help?
They mail you the license plate or in my case 2 license plates since I'm in CA. I'm still driving with the temporary registration though.

FYI, Submitted the Cali CVRP $2500 rebate on May 20th and initially did not have to verify income. Received notice today that I now have to submit income verification via IRS Form 4506-T where they can request last year's 1040. Just a FYI to those who are trying to get that $2500 and don't meet income eligibility

It would not surprise me if they start auditing everyone who submits a rebate for a Tesla

FYI, Submitted the Cali CVRP $2500 rebate on May 20th and initially did not have to verify income. Received notice today that I now have to submit income verification via IRS Form 4506-T where they can request last year's 1040. Just a FYI to those who are trying to get that $2500 and don't meet income eligibility

It would not surprise me if they start auditing everyone who submits a rebate for a Tesla
I wished I didn't meet the income eligibility :D

Do you actually meet it? Curious how many ppl actually got audited?