Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ingenext Boost Modules [aftermarket]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Probably.

But the car still knows how quickly the actual vehicle is accelerating, and if it's out of spec for the type of car it is.

So his'll be trivial for Tesla to catch.

Or, whether there's a voltage drain on the CANbus.
Or, whether the checksum of the message sent across the CANbus is the same as the receiver as the transmitter.

So many different ways to figure out there's something on that bus that doesn't belong.

It's like taking one's still-warrantied ICE car to a speed shop to bolt on a supercharger, then un-bolting it after the engine blows to "revert it to stock".
Tesla knows every little thing happening to your car in real time, as has been mentioned...

If you’re willing to bet your warranty and your ability to supercharge that they can’t detect this then be my guest. I don’t care how it’s done. You think Tesla doesn’t have a single engineer that could figure that out?

Even if they had to buy one and reverse engineer it. (But it is likely way easier than that. They just have to compare actual energy, kW, coming out of the battery with what they are commanding the motor to apply.)

I wouldn't be surprised in man-in-the-middle stuff like this end up making Tesla encrypt the CAN network.

Reactions: SomeJoe7777
I’m still waiting on the Acceleration Boost for my LeMR which Elon said ok to on Twitter end of last year..... I’m glad I didn’t hold my breath. At the end of the day this is a revenue source for Tesla but for the 2k I do agree it’s a steep price for the upgrade but people pay more for less on ICE vehicles.

I’m still waiting on the Acceleration Boost for my LeMR which Elon said ok to on Twitter end of last year..... I’m glad I didn’t hold my breath. At the end of the day this is a revenue source for Tesla but for the 2k I do agree it’s a steep price for the upgrade but people pay more for less on ICE vehicles.

I think some RWD owners are waiting for the same thing... Who knows when Elon will give it to us.

Reactions: T3SLAROD
Jailbreaking a $800 iPhone is light years different than jailbreaking a $60k car.

Most people can squeeze out another $800 for a phone in desperation, however......a $60k car....not so easy.

Just a quote from page 8 of the warranty above where it will be voided if:

View attachment 539140

It doesn't say the warranty is voided, as that would be illegal mostly everywhere. It says anything that is damaged by xxx is not covered.

It doesn't say the warranty is voided, as that would be illegal mostly everywhere. It says anything that is damaged by xxx is not covered.
Yes, but if you overclock your motor and the motor fails, good luck claiming that it wasn't the overclock's fault.

This won't void the warranty on the seat-heat, but you can kiss your battery and motor warranty goodbye if you do this mod.

The interesting part is that Tesla already sells the “overclocked” version with the same warranty

Interesting how? First, it isn't the same level of overclocking. And second, Tesla has surely allocated a portion of the "boost" upgrade charge to the additional warranty claims that will be the result of the upgrade.

Will the EG warranty your battery/drive-unit as part of their performance unlock?

None of which have automation like a Tesla does. None of which are under the microscope like Tesla is. None of which are constantly fighting their raison d'etre being regulated out of existence.

That's why I expect Tesla to be somewhat heavy-handed with the legal beagles.

I don't have to love it, but I understand protecting their position. The automation we're all craving only exists at the whim of Those In Charge of Writing Ridiculous Regulations, and if someone plays the "Won't someone think of the children?!?" card during an election year, they can grind that right to a halt.

So as much as we love for Tesla to be the rebels, they kinda need to play nicey-nice too with the regulators in control of their fate.

NHTSA has been sooo slow to do anything about this, I wouldn’t worry. And, unless Congress decides to start working again, it’s highly unlikely a law would pass. Tesla does NOT play nice with regulators. There’s ample public evidence to support that.

Once some of these aftermarket companies get more tie in with SEMA for Tesla products, the threat of a Tesla lawsuit will no longer hold as much weight, because SEMA has quite a bit of its own legal firepower.

"A modification won't void a warranty unless an automaker or a dealer can prove that an aftermarket part caused the need for repairs. In other words, your warranty will still be valid when your radiator springs a leak, even if you've added an aftermarket exhaust."​

I think the key words here are if damage occurs as a result of modifications. I modified the heck out of my '94 Mustang when I got it new. But Ford still had to fix things under warranty that had nothing to do with the modifications I made.

I would also find it sketchy and legally questionable if Tesla disallowed charging after a mod like this.

But the extra wear on the motors from accelerating faster wouldn’t be covered..

Personally i find it highly suspect that acceleration can be impacted via something you plug into the can bus. That is a huge security flaw. What’s to stop a bad actor from turning 5 units of acceleration into 200 units of acceleration and cause an accident?

Last edited:
I would also find it sketchy and legally questionable if Tesla disallowed charging after a mod like this.

That would depend on where the device was. It it is on the CAN lines the battery and charge port use then I could see where Tesla could say that we can't know that our communications are reliable and haven't been manipulated therefore we can't guarantee the safety of DC fast charging and have disabled it. And I think that would be reasonable.

Personally i find it highly suspect that acceleration can be impacted via something you plug into the can bus. That is a huge security flaw. What’s to stop a bad actor from turning 5 units of acceleration into 200 units of acceleration and cause an accident?

...what's to stop someone from cutting your brake lines? WTF are you talking about?

You can get a thing that plugs in in 30 seconds on virtually ANY modern car that lies about the accelerator pedal input just by boosting the pedal signal.... I was given one to test/review on my previous Lexus IS for free.

...what's to stop someone from cutting your brake lines? WTF are you talking about?

You can get a thing that plugs in in 30 seconds on virtually ANY modern car that lies about the accelerator pedal input just by boosting the pedal signal.... I was given one to test/review on my previous Lexus IS for free.

lying about the pedal input doesn’t change the performance of the car though.