Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2nd Tesla - model X delivery DISASTER

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
NEW MODEL X- 3 hrs after pickup, ERROR on everything!, CANNOT PARK, KIDS waiting for wife to pick them up in the rain!

Tesla bull here and so excited about getting my 2nd Tesla after buying model 3 P in 2018. This is after waiting in line for one in 4/2016.

So after making gobs of money on investing in Tesla since 2018, I bought my wife a model X. At first, I was waiting for the 400 mile range but once the range went up to 371 miles and price jump threat of FSD from $8K to $10K; so I pulled the trigger.

Got delivery yesterday. The delivery itself went fairly smoothly. Wife and I took it for a drive with my wife driving it who has driven my model 3 but fairly new to Tesla. First 5 miles of driving this brand new model X (only 5 miles upon delivery) went very smoothly.

Let's zoom to the end. Wife went to pick up my 2 boys at school. On the road there, her car got numerous error messages (See below) while normal driving, no autopilot turned on (Still getting calibrated anyway). She got to the parking lot of the school and she could not PARK! The car was on DRIVE and moving forward without putting the brake on. 2 boys were super excited to see their new family car but yelling at their mom why she's not opening the door for them. It's raining outside! My wife called me and then immediately to our Tesla advisor who got her in contact with technician. Hard reboot of the car didn't help. Her leg is getting numb pressing hard on the brake for more than an 1 hour waiting for on site technician. Even when they arrived, they could not figure out what to do. Even taking the car over, they had to swap seats with my wife and put their foot on the brake!

No real trigger that anyone could figure out.

Conclusion: brand new model X towed, wife devastated with her first tesla, 2 boys sitting out in the rain (resilient kids). My bullishness for tesla diminished greatly.

ANYONE else experience this weird error???

We are waiting to hear from tesla technicians but since it's the weekend we won't hear back until Monday or Tuesday.

Pro: For all the problems, our tesla advisor personally came to the car and picked up my wife and 2 kids. and we got a tesla model X P loaner which is not typical. I'm hoping for a good resolution but plan to drive the model X myself for a few weeks before I let my wife drive it again once we get it back.

Attachments

• model x errors list.jpeg
    model x errors list.jpeg
    52 KB · Views: 157
  • WhatsApp Image 2020-12-11 at 5.00.02 PM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2020-12-11 at 5.00.02 PM.jpeg
    113.4 KB · Views: 117
  • WhatsApp Image 2020-12-11 at 4.08.49 PM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2020-12-11 at 4.08.49 PM.jpeg
    84.7 KB · Views: 130
  • Informative
Reactions: VikH
Sounds like a well known case of Sudden Unintented Acceleration.

Unfortunately in some ways worse than sudden acceleration. The car was FROZEN in DRIVE with creep mode, NOT hold (removed by the error msg). Car cannot be parked, doors cannot be opened or closed.

This malfunction literally TRAPPED my wife inside the CAR while the kids are waiting outside in the RAIN while the car is INOPERABLE!

Not the same.

She got to the parking lot of the school and she could not PARK! The car was on DRIVE and moving forward without putting the brake on.
It would not go into Neutral either? And I assumed everyone tried an long press on the Park button?

What about using the control panel to put it in Park vs the stalk?

I would have suggested a Power Off but I think the car has to be in Park first.

Reactions: cwerdna and bmah
'New Tesla is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you are going to get'

Mine had to be repainted fully and several door sensors are not working (even after one service round). Luckily the 'scheduled charging' issue turned out to be bug.

This is no help now (sorry), but if the car ever does that again (won't go into park and creep is stuck on), instead of holding the brake pedal for hours, have someone get a cushion of some sort, and then position the car in front of a solid object like a brick wall. Ask the cushion holder to place the cushion between the wall and the park of the bumper that would touch the wall, and ease the car forward into the cushion. Would be best for the cushion holder to hold the cushion in place with a broom stick or something that keeps the person from getting between the car and the wall.

Once the car is engaged with the wall, put a cinder block or chock block behind the rear wheel so the cart can't move backwards.

Then Tesla can take as long as they want and do whatever they think they need to do while you go on about your (now ruined) day.

So sorry to hear this happened with a brand new MX.

@verygreen See thread. Can an error prevent someone from putting the X into Park? OP is claiming wife was unable to put car in park.
there are conditions where the parking brake is disabled indeed, the message typicaly says something like "vehicle may be freerolling".

That said if canbus is somehow compromissed, the message from the stalk that commands to switch gear at all could be lost, I imagine and then indeed you'd remain in D and with creep on the car will sort of try to go forward. No idea how possible that is in practice.

Reactions: VikH
BTW this one definitely worth filing NHTSA report about.

Agreed. Hopefully this will be investigated, and if true, a recall will be made to force Tesla to fix the issue. A software bug should not be able to disable the parking brake under any circumstance. Failing that, Tesla should be forced to install a manual e-brake switch that operates independently from the normal software system.

Agreed. Hopefully this will be investigated, and if true, a recall will be made to force Tesla to fix the issue. A software bug should not be able to disable the parking brake under any circumstance. Failing that, Tesla should be forced to install a manual e-brake switch that operates independently from the normal software system.
I am not sure why you think this was a software error?

Certainly looks like some hw failure to me.

I am not sure why you think this was a software error?

Certainly looks like some hw failure to me.

Fair enough, it could be faulty wiring or something like that preventing the brake from engaging. I'm not familiar with how the system is designed so I'm not trying to make a comment on the specifics of what failed here.

My point is that unless the parking brake was somehow physically damaged, this is a design failure and should be fixed by Tesla. I don't think it's acceptable that a brand new car is unable to engage in park, regardless of the cause.

there are conditions where the parking brake is disabled indeed, the message typicaly says something like "vehicle may be freerolling".

That said if canbus is somehow compromissed, the message from the stalk that commands to switch gear at all could be lost, I imagine and then indeed you'd remain in D and with creep on the car will sort of try to go forward. No idea how possible that is in practice.
"Vehicle may be free-rolling?"

This is an actual message ?

Sound like the Tesla is making complimentary joints.