Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

30% Tax Credit for HPWC?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

SabrToothSqrl

Dec 5, 2014
PA
So does this mean I can order a HPWC and the gov't will pay for 30% of it?

http://www.ct.gov/deep/lib/deep/air/electric_vehicle/evse_fact_sheet.pdf

Incentives for Plug-in Hybrids and Electric Cars | PluginCars.com

Charging Equipment

Some states offer EV buyers and businesses a credit for the purchase and costs of charging equipment.
On Friday, December 18, 2015, President Obama signed the Consolidated Appropriations Act of 2016 (H.R. 2029). Division Q, the Protecting Americans from Tax Hikes Act (PATH Act), retroactively extending the tax credit for EV charging infrastructure for 2015 and going forward for 2016 (www.afdc.energy.gov) Alternative Fuel Infrastructure Tax Credit. Section 182 extends the tax credit for alternative fuel infrastructure through December 31, 2016. Fueling equipment and related infrastructure for electricity are eligible for a tax credit of 30 percent, up to $30,000. Retroactive for EV Charging Infrastructure placed in service in 2015. This means if you installed EV charging in 2015, you can take advantage of this credit for your investment. Residential fueling equipment may receive a tax credit up to $1,000.

Sorry, I'm no expert on taxes, so does this mean I get 30% of $750 or does it mean I get 30% of $750 off my tax liability?

thanks.

So does this mean I can order a HPWC and the gov't will pay for 30% of it?

http://www.ct.gov/deep/lib/deep/air/electric_vehicle/evse_fact_sheet.pdf

Incentives for Plug-in Hybrids and Electric Cars | PluginCars.com

Charging Equipment

Some states offer EV buyers and businesses a credit for the purchase and costs of charging equipment.
On Friday, December 18, 2015, President Obama signed the Consolidated Appropriations Act of 2016 (H.R. 2029). Division Q, the Protecting Americans from Tax Hikes Act (PATH Act), retroactively extending the tax credit for EV charging infrastructure for 2015 and going forward for 2016 (www.afdc.energy.gov) Alternative Fuel Infrastructure Tax Credit. Section 182 extends the tax credit for alternative fuel infrastructure through December 31, 2016. Fueling equipment and related infrastructure for electricity are eligible for a tax credit of 30 percent, up to $30,000. Retroactive for EV Charging Infrastructure placed in service in 2015. This means if you installed EV charging in 2015, you can take advantage of this credit for your investment. Residential fueling equipment may receive a tax credit up to $1,000.

Sorry, I'm no expert on taxes, so does this mean I get 30% of $750 or does it mean I get 30% of $750 off my tax liability?

thanks.

It sounds like this should count toward a NEMA 14-50 installation as well.

Since they call it a tax credit I assume that it reduces your tax liability by 30%, up to $1,000, of the cost of your charging infrastructure. I assume that would include the $750 for the HPWC as well as the costs of installation and other necessary materials (wire/panel/etc.).

City of Austin rebate and federal tax credit amounted ~50% off the install at my house. The rebate and credit included the cost of the charger and the install. I had the charger installed about a month prior to delivery (started paperwork as soon as I had a VIN).

All charging equipment and installation costs are potentially subject to the 30% credit. I say potentially because if you fall into AMT, this credit is unavailable to you. This credit has expiered and been renewed by Congress (retroactively, at least once) several times. Only time, and the next election, will tell if it's available for 2016. I believe it's easier to claim by a business.
Disclaimer - I'm not a CPA.

I had two NEMA 14-50 outlets installed last year for $1800 so hopefully I'll get the extra $540 back when filing this year. If I'd been certain that the tax credit was going to be renewed, I would've upgraded my garage to 125 amps instead of 100 amps. It would've cost me over $1000 more at the time but would've effectively resulted in a $900 credit and I would've ended up paying about as much as I already paid (without the credit).

I hope to finally purchase an X or S this year and get the $7500 tax credit when filing next year.

I am interested to know if I can claim 30% (or more if there are state credits) on the aggregate invoice for HPWC and NEMA14-50 parts and labor. Can any fellow San Diegans/Californians chime in please?

Do you mind PMing me who did your install? Looking to get an install done in the next 2 weeks or so, basically as soon as the new HPWC shows up.

Of course also interested in what you find out on this topic as well. ;)

• Helpful
Reactions: SW2Fiddler