Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

40kwh Model S canceled

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's my point, why wouldn't it sit well?
1. If they accept it the company that backs their car is stronger. Why would they be upset someone else got a better deal. I just don't get that mentality. It happens all the time. Why would they be upset with Tesla, it's not like Tesla set out to give those with 40kwh packs a better deal, but now they've determined it makes sense financially for the company. It's a really shallow person that would get upset with Tesla for making this kind of decision. Like I said I purchased a Volt only to find out 4 months later that GM was selling them for a few thousand less. I didn't throw a rock through GM's window. Now if Tesla intentionally defrauded them then they have a right to be upset, but they didn't. This is called cutting one's nose off to spite their face. These people would rather make the company that backs their car weaker then accept the fact that someone else got a better deal.

I don't see how that makes the company stronger. At some point a number of 40 owners will probably pay for the extra capacity, or the next owner of their cars will. Either way Tesla gets paid for the extra cells.

The point is the people who ordered the 40 already decided they didn't want to spend 10k for a 60. So why would they spend it now that it is offered again? If you offered them a discount now I suspect many would take the deal now which would inject Tesla with much needed cash.

As a 40 buyer who's been waiting two years, I was glad:

the car will perform like a 60, except for range

that we can upgrade to a 60 now or later

and that we can add SC now or later

we were able to change the color instead of just choosing from black or white

being early, many received the lower price

many of the early production bugs have been worked out

we can more clearly see that TM has a very good chance of long term success before buying the car

These things help compensate for being pushed to the VERY end of the line. However, it appears production is near and 40's will all be delivered by mid/late June. I think it was worth the wait because we're receiving the rarest cars with the most flexibility. Range is not a concern for people who don't need it. All that said, no 40 production car has been produced yet so there's still some uncertainty.

So to answer your question, we've been watching and waiting...a long time.

As a 40 buyer who's been waiting two years, I was glad:

the car will perform like a 60, except for range

that we can upgrade to a 60 now or later

and that we can add SC now or later

we were able to change the color instead of just choosing from black or white

being early, many received the lower price

many of the early production bugs have been worked out

we can more clearly see that TM has a very good chance of long term success before buying the car

These things help compensate for being pushed to the VERY end of the line. However, it appears production is near and 40's will all be delivered by mid/late June. I think it was worth the wait because we're receiving the rarest cars with the most flexibility. Range is not a concern for people who don't need it. All that said, no 40 production car has been produced yet so there's still some uncertainty.

So to answer your question, we've been watching and waiting...a long time.

And that we can take advantage of the buy back financing deal with a guaranteed known price in 3 years.