Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

4680 MYP Acceleration Boost Upgrade prediction.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With 4680 batteries, Tesla will be able to reduce costs plus increasing volume.

No reason for them to offer additional range (just will eat up more batteries) as the competition is not offering additional range in that price range.

They would not want the Y coming out of Texas to claim better range than those coming out of California. Everyone would be demanding only Texas production.

Reactions: advocate8
Tesla will never allow the MYP to match or approach the S LR 3.1 sec time. That’s one of the limiting factors here in keeping the 2 models seperate enough. Unless LR S goes to 2.9, I doubt very much they will adjust the MYP down to 3.2/3.3 0-60.
0-60 time is not a deciding factor. MS and MY are two different class, they target different buyers, serve different purposes.

Reactions: rob968
0-60 time is not a deciding factor. MS and MY are two different class, they target different buyers, serve different purposes.
In Elons world it is. One day it may happen but so far never has. Going on past history here.
Hey I’d love to see a sub 3 sec PM3 and a 3 sec PMY. Again I just feel they would only do this if the slowest MS is 2.6/2.7.

I’d love to be wrong here!

Just because Tesla's saving money doesn't mean that there's nothing in it for the consumer. Even if battery capacity and motor power remain constant, that means that the cars' weight will be reduced. That would marginally improve acceleration/range, reduce tire wear, and potentially improve ride quality.
...and that is exactly what they did.

An improved 4680 battery throws benefits downstream for the consumer. Tesla needn't do a thing. Lower battery count w/4680 means more batteries available.

Just my common sense and Teslas past practice. The new (4680) model Y performance we'll probably have the same performance statistics, to provide a level sales field with the Fremont. It will just be lighter and more rigid with the potential for better acceleration due to being lighter.
Common sense says Tesla is going to offer a performance boost? You would need something to back that up for “common sense” to suggest this. Maybe I missed it…did Tesla offer acceleration boost for other performance models once they got new batteries?

I am just missing the common sense part of this but that could easily be due to me missing previous information.

When are the first MYP with 4680's arriving at clients? When will we see first youtube test/reviews? Can't wait.

I'm in europe and we were all hoping Berlin also had 4680's in production but that doesn't seem to be the case untill end of the year.

When are the first MYP with 4680's arriving at clients? When will we see first youtube test/reviews? Can't wait.

I'm in europe and we were all hoping Berlin also had 4680's in production but that doesn't seem to be the case untill end of the year.
As they need 4680 at Giga Texas for the Model Y, Semi and the Cybertruck, I wouldn't hold my breath for it. They will not start before they can produce them locally or have a local supplier.

Common sense says Tesla is going to offer a performance boost? You would need something to back that up for “common sense” to suggest this. Maybe I missed it…did Tesla offer acceleration boost for other performance models once they got new batteries?

I am just missing the common sense part of this but that could easily be due to me missing previous information.
Tesla sells model Y long range owners a performance boost for $2000, the performance that was built into their car but only accessible to those willing to pay for it. If Tesla builds their new 6480 model Y with the same kilowatt hours as the old the new battery packs will be smaller and lighter providing additional potential performance.

Tesla sells model Y long range owners a performance boost for $2000, the performance that was built into their car but only accessible to those willing to pay for it. If Tesla builds their new 6480 model Y with the same kilowatt hours as the old the new battery packs will be smaller and lighter providing additional potential performance.
I agree it will be lighter. But that’s the weight of the car and not something that would influence a performance upgrade option, right?

I agree it will be lighter. But that’s the weight of the car and not something that would influence a performance upgrade option, right?
Weight of a car directly relates to speed. Lighter = Faster Acceleration (all else held equal). And for an EV lighter also = more range.

But that said, some benefits MIGHT end up downstream to the consumer but the main benefit of a better battery is lower overhead/higher margin. Neither of those will likely benefit the consumer - I highly doubt Tesla would lower the price of the Y to account for the lowered manufacturing costs. If anything, my guess is the 6480 will translate into more range. Speed is a commodity for Tesla (pay $2k for turning off accel limiter) so why would they give that away? Maybe cars equipped with a 6480 will have a speed boost2 that you can unlock for another $1k? Doubt it but maybe... IMO, the most likely scenario, from consumer perspective, is a new battery will just translate into marginally more range for those lucky enough to get it.

Going with what has already been said about the soon to arrive lighter 4680 battery packs, I believe that most MYP buyers would be fine with a (300 mile range) faster car (0-60 3.0 sec.) better handling and braking car if they came with a smaller battery back that saved it a few hundred of pounds. I believe that most MYLR buyers would be satisfied with a (400 Mile range) slower / heavier car (0-60 6.0 sec.) that got much longer (accurately advertised) range with a larger battery pack. Right now the current packs are the same size correct? There isn't really enough difference in the two other than brakes, wheels/tires and motor power. It would be nice if the MYLR came with a softer comfort suspension and the MYP had a digitally tuned adaptive setup. Totally get that air suspension could be saved for the big boy MS's & MX's. So many performance ICE cars available today with a suspension that changes at the touch of button (Comfort / Sport & Sport +) and I am so surprised that Tesla doesn't offer a similar option in the M3 & MY. Don't get me started how they are charging more for paint colors and not allowing MYP's to have a less expensive wheel / tire option or square set up similar to the MYLR. They know the wheels are heavy, ride very rough and don't give the option to rotate due to staggered wheels and (wrong) sized tires. If they are charging so much for those Big A$$ 21's why haven't their performance engineers put their heads together and made a Tesla branded 20 lb. lightweight Forged wheel. They are all about aerodynamics and cutting edge efficiency yet they offer 40 lb. each MYP wheels! Sorry I apologize for going off topic.
I hope I really want an Austin Built 4680 battery fed MYP with the Acceleration Boost Upgrade! 😅

Last edited:
Weight of a car directly relates to speed. Lighter = Faster Acceleration (all else held equal). And for an EV lighter also = more range.

But that said, some benefits MIGHT end up downstream to the consumer but the main benefit of a better battery is lower overhead/higher margin. Neither of those will likely benefit the consumer - I highly doubt Tesla would lower the price of the Y to account for the lowered manufacturing costs. If anything, my guess is the 6480 will translate into more range. Speed is a commodity for Tesla (pay $2k for turning off accel limiter) so why would they give that away? Maybe cars equipped with a 6480 will have a speed boost2 that you can unlock for another $1k? Doubt it but maybe... IMO, the most likely scenario, from consumer perspective, is a new battery will just translate into marginally more range for those lucky enough to get it.
My point was that lighter weight vehicle does not mean that their will be a performance boost upgrade. Like they did they did with the $2k acceleration boost.

Not arguing that the car wouldn’t be faster. I am saying strictly that lighter weight does not imply that their will be an option to purchase a performance increase.