Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

48.26 UI Changes - thumbs up or down?

Is the new UI in 48.26 an improvement or is it a retrograde step?

• I like it

Votes: 105 40.1%
  • It’s a retrograde step

Votes: 135 51.5%
  • Neither

Votes: 16 6.1%
  • Haven't even installed it yet

Votes: 6 2.3%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla think they may be able to roll back the update, and revert the display to the way it used to be. However, their initial view is that if they do this the car may no longer have any warranty . . .

They are still looking into it, and the SC staff are being very helpful, but the "official" view is that this isn't a widespread problem, just an issue that I have with my car.

I still have the appointment booked in for the 14th, but frankly I can't see what can be done by a physical trip to the SC right now. I'm not prepared to accept a fix that voids the remainder of the warranty, that's for sure.

Not an ideal solution & maybe something you have already rejected but have you considered a third party HUD? It appears to be a simple connection to the Canbus & displays main driving information up on the dashboard.

Not an ideal solution & maybe something you have already rejected but have you considered a third party HUD? It appears to be a simple connection to the Canbus & displays main driving information up on the dashboard.

By complete coincidence I thought about something very similar in the shower this morning, the add-on display that was mentioned in another thread a while ago!

Far from ideal, having to buy something to fix a problem created by a software change, but certainly preferable to having to either drive around unable to easily see the speed display, or wait until Tesla decide whether or not they are going to do something about the poor readability of that area of the display.

Reactions: Drew57
Or another option may be getting a phone holder like the Brodit ones where the phone sits in landscape orientation centred on the dash in front of the steering wheel. Waze and other navigation programs include current speed on the display. I find where my phone is mounted and with the tilt adjustments the mount allows that I can see the entire phone screen in my normal driving position. The speed displayed is reliant on the accuracy of the phone GPS and navigation program, but Waze always seems pretty bang on to what the car is showing.

• Helpful
Reactions: Jeeves
By complete coincidence I thought about something very similar in the shower this morning, the add-on display that was mentioned in another thread a while ago!

Far from ideal, having to buy something to fix a problem created by a software change, but certainly preferable to having to either drive around unable to easily see the speed display, or wait until Tesla decide whether or not they are going to do something about the poor readability of that area of the display.

It would give you a use for your semi-redundant smart phone if clipped in front of the steering wheel :)

It would give you a use for your semi-redundant smart phone if clipped in front of the steering wheel :)

Good idea, except it still needs me to remember to both take my phone with me and turn it on!

I have heard elsewhere that Elon Musk has taken onboard some of the complaints about the new display, and hinted that a future update will allow users to re-size/position things on the screen. Whether this will fix the hard to see speed display and light icon problem I don't know, but Elon has said before that he doesn't see a need for cars to have a speed display, because of FSD (he perhaps needs to try driving a RHD car here in the UK, and maybe read up on UK law!). As always, I don't anticipate anything happening soon, as "Elon time" seems subject to mysterious time dilation effects that don't affect the rest of us.

I'm looking around at some of the HUD options right now. Getting something to install very neatly, without obvious cable runs, might be a challenge.

My father in law has a TR6, and he cannot see the speedo on the dash clearly without reading glasses - so its not an issue isolated to Tesla. I think his method was to use one of the older TomTom sat nav's which could display the speed in large numbers on the tom tom screen. This was attached to the windscreen.

I personally don't mind the UI changes and I am not having a problem with it, but if I had the choice to make the speed reading larger, I would. Its a real shame their isn't a HUD...

My father in law has a TR6, and he cannot see the speedo on the dash clearly without reading glasses - so its not an issue isolated to Tesla. I think his method was to use one of the older TomTom sat nav's which could display the speed in large numbers on the tom tom screen. This was attached to the windscreen.

I personally don't mind the UI changes and I am not having a problem with it, but if I had the choice to make the speed reading larger, I would. Its a real shame their isn't a HUD...

I'd suggest that your father in law might well find that he's driving without an adequate level of eyesight correction as far as the law is concerned. I have varifocals specifically for driving (with a different transition zone from my everyday varifocals), so that I can have both an adequate level of distance vision and good near vision for reading car instruments/displays. This was flagged up to me as being a requirement years ago, when I did an advanced driving course. The instructor (former police officer) started the course with a surprising amount of preparatory stuff, like making sure seat, mirrors, steering wheel etc were all precisely adjusted, the car was checked thoroughly, and that if any pupil on the course wore glasses that they allowed them to clearly read a near and distance vision check he'd set up. Just like when flying, there was also an insistence that anyone that needed glasses carried a spare pair with them at all times.

The HUD options available on the after market seem a bit clunky, which is a pity. I have found this additional display that installs very neatly indeed, with a clever moulding that forms a part of the upper steering wheel shroud, and looks pretty much OEM, but I hate the design of the dials:

If there was a small, rectangular, display, that fitted as neatly as that one with the round dials, then I think that would probably be ideal. The closest to a reasonably neat HUD seems to be a small unit available in Norway (it's in a video by Bjorn Nyland), but the cable is still visible, and I hate having trailing cables on view (I've spent hours in the past hiding dash cam cables):

93013_-_Head_Up_Display_D500_-_Tesla_Model_3_1.jpg

New My father in law has a TR6, and he cannot see the speedo on the dash clearly without reading glasses - so its not an issue isolated to Tesla.

With cars of that era, I've owned several, is that the driver is, for better or worse, more more in tune with the vehicle. I have had several cars that I could reliably drive without looking at the speedo simply because I knew instinctively how fast the car was going from the feedback my senses were receiving from noise, vibration, feel etc. It was consistent enough that I could judge my speed to a similar accuracy of the speedo - and I'm not talking about the ones that would bounce around 5/10mph etc!

With cars of that era, I've owned several, is that the driver is, for better or worse, more more in tune with the vehicle. I have had several cars that I could reliably drive without looking at the speedo simply because I knew instinctively how fast the car was going from the feedback my senses were receiving from noise, vibration, feel etc. It was consistent enough that I could judge my speed to a similar accuracy of the speedo - and I'm not talking about the ones that would bounce around 5/10mph etc!

That's an extremely good point indeed. I find that I tend to check the speed in the Tesla far more often than with other cars, or at least I notice that I'm checking the speed more often. With little in the way of aural clues as to speed, especially when in something like a 30, 40 or 50mph zone, it's surprisingly easy to drift above the speed limit.

Of course, if cruise control worked properly we could just use that as a speed limiter, but as it's so prone to slamming on the brakes or sounding an alarm for no apparent reason, that's not really an option. TBH, it's the ability to use cruise to stay within a 40mph or 50mph limit that I really miss the most, as over the years I've got used to using cruise in other cars as a way to stay within a speed limit, especially where there's a relatively long stretch of such a limit, and not much traffic around.

My wifes' profile has a speed offset chime at +3mph so she knows when to lift off without necessarily having to glance at the speed display. For most of the year regen braking slows the car fast enough to stop the chime & I must admit both of us know the car well enough to be doing pretty much the correct speed on familiar roads without needing to constantly look.

I'm afraid I also have the lazy habit of frequently holding the wheel with just my left hand so had never thought about potentially blocking the speed display (or anything else) either before or after the latest UI change. Voice control (for us) & scroll wheels handle almost everything else on screen whilst driving. Before voice activation for erratic wipers, pressing the LH stalk a few times is annoying but sufficient.

Last edited:
it's the ability to use cruise to stay within a 40mph or 50mph limit that I really miss the most, as over the years I've got used to using cruise in other cars as a way to stay within a speed limit, especially where there's a relatively long stretch of such a limit, and not much traffic around.
Setting the current speed option does that of course but I accept that with Tesla cruise control something unexpected should be expected.

Reactions: Glan gluaisne
[QUOTE="Glan gluaisne, post: 5268773, member: 114623"I have found this additional display that installs very neatly indeed, with a clever moulding that forms a part of the upper steering wheel shroud, and looks pretty much OEM, but I hate the design of the dials:

[/QUOTE]
I really like this unit, including the design of the dials. Do you have a link to where it can be purchased?

[QUOTE="Glan gluaisne, post: 5268773, member: 114623"I have found this additional display that installs very neatly indeed, with a clever moulding that forms a part of the upper steering wheel shroud, and looks pretty much OEM, but I hate the design of the dials:
I really like this unit, including the design of the dials. Do you have a link to where it can be purchased?[/QUOTE]
Found it on Amazon - same price in £ as €:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/topfit-Dashboard-Instrument-Modified-Accessories/dp/B08P6PJ5F9/ref=sr_1_1