Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

5 seaters, how is your load floor supported behind the 2nd row?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When my 5-seater arrived, service told me I was missing something for the support of the load floor immediately behind the 2nd row seats. I have that board which can be stood vertically a few inches behind the 2nd row, and it is curved to match the interior sides, but nothing really holds it in place. If you put the load floor on top of it, it is certainly solid, but you have to be careful to lay the load floor down flat on it or else you might push, tilt, or knock over the support. Even with the load floor in place, if you push something into that support, you could knock it over or even push it closer to the 2nd row seats at which point it then falls down behind the 2nd row.

Yesterday service told me that's just the way it is, and that's how all the rest of you have it. I have a difficult time believing that's true and would have expected someone else here to have mentioned it but I found nothing searching the forums. So, do the rest of you all have a support board which can be tipped or pushed over, or is there something to hold it in place?

Thanks in advance!

• Informative
Reactions: krouebi
When my 5-seater arrived, service told me I was missing something for the support of the load floor immediately behind the 2nd row seats. I have that board which can be stood vertically a few inches behind the 2nd row, and it is curved to match the interior sides, but nothing really holds it in place. If you put the load floor on top of it, it is certainly solid, but you have to be careful to lay the load floor down flat on it or else you might push, tilt, or knock over the support. Even with the load floor in place, if you push something into that support, you could knock it over or even push it closer to the 2nd row seats at which point it then falls down behind the 2nd row.

Yesterday service told me that's just the way it is, and that's how all the rest of you have it. I have a difficult time believing that's true and would have expected someone else here to have mentioned it but I found nothing searching the forums. So, do the rest of you all have a support board which can be tipped or pushed over, or is there something to hold it in place?

Thanks in advance!

Hmmm, I'm not sure what you mean by "load floor" --- what is that? From your description, I think we have the same thing; my 5 seater came with a board for behind the 2nd row that allows it to be flat otherwise there's a gap of a few inches in height. This board rests on top and appears to be supported (it doesn't move and it's flush to the sides). I also laid back there once and it held my weight just fine. Does this help?

Most people don't have that piece or the "load floor" at all. A couple people have that vertical piece attached firmly in place.

At least one person has said that they were told that the final production parts will be available at the end of March and that all 5-seaters will get a call to come in and get the parts installed after that.

You may want to look through some of the other threads:
Model X 5 Seat Deliveries
Latest 5 Seat Photos

Yes, the "load floor" is that large board (27" from front-to-back by about 40+" wide) which lays flat. I'm focused on the board which supports it. I'd describe the support board like a plastic version of a 2x10 that is standing on its side. Does your 2x10-like support board have anything which helps hold it In position? My support board is slightly curved for a little support on the sides, but otherwise unsupported. In particular, if I push something into that short storage space below the load floor, I can push that board forward (more towards the back of the 2nd row). If I push it far enough, the load floor effectively collapses. The weight of the load floor on the support board helps hold it in place, but if the load floor is removed then even a small child could use a single finger and push it over (in the direction of the 2nd row seats). I also find that when putting the load floor in position, if I don't lay the load floor perfectly flat, it also pushes over the support board.

So does your 2x10-like support board on it's side have any extra clips or Velcro or anything that helps it stand on its side by itself? Thanks.

OK, so she has the exact opposite problem that I have. Mine basically just falls over on its own if the load floor isn't pressing down on it. It's funny & sad at the same time that the service center doesn't have a clue.
I don't find the permanently attached, vertical support to be a "problem" at all. I am unsure of how much weight the piece will hold(large cover). I really load up the car to travel North come spring (April). I am thinking I may need to put additional support underneath it.

Ah, @beths11 it's great to hear from you. Can you describe how your vertical support is or might be permanently attached? It's possible you may not even be able to see it. It must be attached either attached on the sides, or from below. Is anything visible, such as a clip, or ??? One theory at the service center was that the support was standing on some pegs from the bottom, since the support is actually hollow and has three places that it looks like it might stand on some pegs. If nothing at all is visible, that alone is good data for me. Thank you.

Yes, the "load floor" is that large board (27" from front-to-back by about 40+" wide) which lays flat. I'm focused on the board which supports it. I'd describe the support board like a plastic version of a 2x10 that is standing on its side. Does your 2x10-like support board have anything which helps hold it In position? My support board is slightly curved for a little support on the sides, but otherwise unsupported. In particular, if I push something into that short storage space below the load floor, I can push that board forward (more towards the back of the 2nd row). If I push it far enough, the load floor effectively collapses. The weight of the load floor on the support board helps hold it in place, but if the load floor is removed then even a small child could use a single finger and push it over (in the direction of the 2nd row seats). I also find that when putting the load floor in position, if I don't lay the load floor perfectly flat, it also pushes over the support board.

So does your 2x10-like support board on it's side have any extra clips or Velcro or anything that helps it stand on its side by itself? Thanks.
Let me get back with you. I'm out of town for a couple more days. From memory, I think I have something like beths11's car.

Ah, @beths11 it's great to hear from you. Can you describe how your vertical support is or might be permanently attached? It's possible you may not even be able to see it. It must be attached either attached on the sides, or from below. Is anything visible, such as a clip, or ??? One theory at the service center was that the support was standing on some pegs from the bottom, since the support is actually hollow and has three places that it looks like it might stand on some pegs. If nothing at all is visible, that alone is good data for me. Thank you.
Hi there. Sorry for the late reply but I just checked. My support board has no visible fasteners and it feels mostly firmly attached. I say "mostly" bc there is a little bit of give in that I can move it towards front and back of car a little bit but not nearly enough that I fear knocking it over. It does appear to be somewhat removable though bc I'm able to get my fingers underneath it where it meets the floor. Here are some pix. My VIN is 26xxx and was delivered 12/31 in case that's relevant. IMG_20170212_202825.jpg IMG_20170212_202837.jpg IMG_20170212_202843.jpg IMG_20170212_202859.jpg

Hi there. Sorry for the late reply but I just checked. My support board has no visible fasteners and it feels mostly firmly attached. I say "mostly" bc there is a little bit of give in that I can move it towards front and back of car a little bit but not nearly enough that I fear knocking it over. It does appear to be somewhat removable though bc I'm able to get my fingers underneath it where it meets the floor. Here are some pix. My VIN is 26xxx and was delivered 12/31 in case that's relevant. View attachment 214520 View attachment 214521 View attachment 214522 View attachment 214523
Looks exactly like mine.

Thanks for the pictures. My load floor support is completely loose. Here are a few pictures of it outside the X. From my pictures you can see the the bottom of the support with the 3 dog-bone-shaped-holes where I suspect your bracket holds the support. I have no brackets and only this loose support which, by itself, does not stand on end very well.
load_floor_support_1.JPG
load_floor_support_2.JPG
load_floor_support_3.JPG

Reactions: MP3Mike
Thanks for the pictures. My load floor support is completely loose. Here are a few pictures of it outside the X. From my pictures you can see the the bottom of the support with the 3 dog-bone-shaped-holes where I suspect your bracket holds the support. I have no brackets and only this loose support which, by itself, does not stand on end very well.
View attachment 214744 View attachment 214745 View attachment 214746
Wow that's wild! I wonder why yours didn't come attached. I think you're right, the dog bone holes must be where it attaches.

Thanks in advance!

When I received my 5 seater in December the platform behind the second row was missing. I was told that the quality was poor so it was removed and that a new one would be coming soon. I had my car in for service in January and asked about it but no one knew when the new one would arrive. Hopefully you have the old version and a new one will be coming soon.

@lundse50 Thanks for the confirmation that I'm not crazy, at least not in this one very limited instance. By contrast, this is what the service center wrote on my invoice even after a full month of harassing them for the support bracket:
tesla-load-floor-complete.jpg

I'm sympathetic to Tesla having some early problems, but I wish their corporate communication was better. You'd think they would have a simple email list for all service center advisers to broadcast information like this, but apparently not. Perhaps Elon could/should just mandate that the service center advisers have to at least scan these forums for just 5 minutes per day. That would be good for them and good for us.

Reactions: Ulmo
@lundse50 Thanks for the confirmation that I'm not crazy, at least not in this one very limited instance. By contrast, this is what the service center wrote on my invoice even after a full month of harassing them for the support bracket:
View attachment 215240

I'm sympathetic to Tesla having some early problems, but I wish their corporate communication was better. You'd think they would have a simple email list for all service center advisers to broadcast information like this, but apparently not. Perhaps Elon could/should just mandate that the service center advisers have to at least scan these forums for just 5 minutes per day. That would be good for them and good for us.
Contact headquarters armed with our pictures and statements of a securely installed support bracket. Your SC needs a wake up call.