Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

500 mile range? LOL

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
instead people like Kyle Conner, who thinks HW4 has the same amount of cameras as HW3 with "disabled access" to the narrow camera......... yep he said it look it up....... are the literally teslas PR department. its nuts and its only hurting us and the brand and the mission. but whatever. sorry to burst your bubble but it does not get 450 miles either.

Reactions: TessP100D
I am not about to get into the back and forth name-calling in this thread, just a comment on "range."

Range IS good. Not to go the full rated distance, but to charge to around 60% quickly during a road-trip. So, with a real range of say 450 miles, 60% will give you around an honest 270 miles in a very few minutes of SC time. That, in my not so humble opinion, is the advantage of an EV with long range.

Rich
And battery longevity…

Reactions: RichAZ/CapeCod
So, out of thousands of revolutionary efficiency, performance, and safety developments that have gone well, you manage to find a couple of places where Tesla failed to achieve a stated goal.
I'm sure your batting average is 1000, however, most of us are more than satisfied with 999.
Are we talking about individual components of cars or the entire car? They have a horrible track record when it comes to releasing cars on time at the price promised. They will get to the price at some point but not at the beginning and 4 years behind and only getting worse.

They have released information saying they have installed capacity at Texas for 125,000 CT/ year. That is currently installed not we can ramp to that over a year but current. Or is it really current? That is where you can't believe anything they say. What they say is aimed at shareholders to get stock prices and valuation up, what is actually happening is quite solidly in the grey area.

They have released information saying they have installed capacity at Texas for 125,000 CT/ year. That is currently installed not we can ramp to that over a year but current. Or is it really current? That is where you can't believe anything they say.

Installed capacity != actual production run rate

Installed capacity means the production line hardware that exists is designed to support up to 125k/year, but may not be reaching it at this moment (due to all sorts of factors like supply limitations of various components, quality control issues, not running the production line 24/7, other issues with some part of the line, etc.)

Actual production run rate is, well, exactly that: what the line is actually producing over some period of time.

So when you hear "installed capacity" you should assume there is a lot of ramping up to do.

I personally don't view this as Tesla being intentionally misleading - that's just what these terms mean. Other companies make similar representations of their production that need to be carefully interpreted.

From Tesla's last IR report (highlighting is mine):
Screenshot 2023-11-26 at 3.41.55 PM.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Mrbrock
Installed capacity != actual production run rate

Installed capacity means the production line hardware that exists is designed to support up to 125k/year, but may not be reaching it at this moment (due to all sorts of factors like supply limitations of various components, quality control issues, not running the production line 24/7, other issues with some part of the line, etc.)

Actual production run rate is, well, exactly that: what the line is actually producing over some period of time.

So when you hear "installed capacity" you should assume there is a lot of ramping up to do.

I personally don't view this as Tesla being intentionally misleading - that's just what these terms mean. Other companies make similar representations of their production that need to be carefully interpreted.

From Tesla's last IR report (highlighting is mine):
View attachment 993941
Yes, I understand this and how the terms are "commonly used" but that is true for a lot of marketing and it is just spiel. Capacity installed >125,000 yet we are in "pilot production". Again, vague enough so they can do what they want and not get in trouble for intentionally misleading but if they can't produce at a run rate of 125,000 right now, they shouldn't be able to say that capacity is installed because they wont know how fast they can actually produce these until they start ramping and they still don't have the amount of 4680 capacity needed to make 125,000 CT per year. More like 30,000 (600/wk) so saying they CAN make 125,000/year is like me saying I can test drive 10 Cybertrucks per week right now. I am capable of it but only if they were available so it would be disingenuous for me to say that knowing it is not currently possible.

I always find it humorous reading all the angry replies back and forth on what the mileage might be. It’s going to be what it’s going to be. I personally reserved a tri-motor with the advertised 14k towing and the 500 mile range because I need it to tow a toy hauler with my 4-wheelers out to the sand dunes. I need the 500 miles because in reality it will really be 400 miles if you charge to 80%, and towing the trailer will take that range down to 200. After listening to Elon on Joe Rogan, it doesn’t sound like he’s making this truck with much towing in mind, I think he believes most people will just use it for the occasional trip to Home Depot. And because of this, I believe the Cybertruck will only have a top range in the 300’s. If this is the case, this truck won’t work for me. Will that suck, yes, because I really wanted one. But I will just ask for my $100 back and wait until some manufacturer will finally make one with people who tow in mind.

Capacity installed >125,000 yet we are in "pilot production". Again, vague enough so they can do what they want and not get in trouble for intentionally misleading but if they can't produce at a run rate of 125,000 right now, they shouldn't be able to say that capacity is installed

Your expectations about what “installed capacity” should mean just don’t match how the term is actually used.

If you insist it should be a synonym for “run rate” then you’re going to be forever disappointed…

Are we talking about individual components of cars or the entire car? They have a horrible track record when it comes to releasing cars on time at the price promised.
Who cares? And goals are not the same as promises. If it isn't in writing, its a goal. Even then, it may be a goal. It is not a lie though.
They are breaking new ground. To do this, one sets goals, then designs to meet them. You will miss pretty much 100% of the time, either exceeding or falling short. The only things that are done on time or at a price known in advance are repeats of the same old thing, possibly with insignificant tweaks.
Tesla is new stuff. Nobody knows at the beginning how long it will take, what will actually work, or how much it will eventually cost.
I'd prefer aggressive and transparent goals that are sometimes missed rather than playing safe and dull.
If you want the same old garbage, probably with no panel gaps and nice furniture inside, that your grandfather pioneered, go ahead and get a Lexus, Chevy, MBZ, Ford, etc. You really don't have the right stuff for a Tesla. The CT probably will disappoint.
If you want an interesting and awesome vehicle, possibly with a bit of weirdness, stick with Tesla.

Actually the WT3 model is only 350 mile. The RST model at 105k will do 400 but your story sounds more impressive with your numbers.
It is 450 miles in the WT. I got my pre delivery packet 2 weeks ago. It is 143 pages….

I could take delivery in January if I was buying 50 trucks. My order is for two.

If anyone wants to know any specs on the Silverado I can see if I have it.

Attachments

• IMG_0460.jpeg
    IMG_0460.jpeg
    583.5 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Reactions: HitchHiker71
It is 450 miles in the WT. I got my pre delivery packet 2 weeks ago. It is 143 pages….

I could take delivery in January if I was buying 50 trucks. My order is for two.

If anyone wants to know any specs on the Silverado I can see if I have it.
Actually he Said WT3 not WT4 which is available to fleet-only buyers and starts at 79,800 not 65k. The RST version for consumers is 107k.

Who cares? And goals are not the same as promises. If it isn't in writing, its a goal. Even then, it may be a goal. It is not a lie though.
They are breaking new ground. To do this, one sets goals, then designs to meet them. You will miss pretty much 100% of the time, either exceeding or falling short. The only things that are done on time or at a price known in advance are repeats of the same old thing, possibly with insignificant tweaks.
Tesla is new stuff. Nobody knows at the beginning how long it will take, what will actually work, or how much it will eventually cost.
I'd prefer aggressive and transparent goals that are sometimes missed rather than playing safe and dull.
If you want the same old garbage, probably with no panel gaps and nice furniture inside, that your grandfather pioneered, go ahead and get a Lexus, Chevy, MBZ, Ford, etc. You really don't have the right stuff for a Tesla. The CT probably will disappoint.
If you want an interesting and awesome vehicle, possibly with a bit of weirdness, stick with Tesla.
Unfortunately all of this is in print. Which I assume means writing in your scenario. Battery day presentation, Cybertruck ordering page (since then down which proves they know they couldn’t meet their initial promises), end of quarter shareholder prensentstions, the list goes on. I am not saying Tesla isn’t doing great things. I own two Amy’s and had a M3. He vehicles are fantastic. I just wish they didn’t promise the moon and deliver some powdery white rocks 3 years too late. It wouldn’t be great for the stock price but customers could believe in your product and your word. Elon is turning into a younger genius version of a former president. Smart but just put a tent around the circus that follows him. Hard to take seriously anymore.

Hard to take seriously anymore.
There was never any way to take this cosplay “truck” seriously, no matter the completely made up specs. This is a Bro Dozer toy for Silicon Valley nerds and always will be - just like Lord Elon himself. Nobody is buying this thing for real work… just a super-odd way to flex while towing your gaudy boat or Airstream to the lake. It’s probably the most ridiculous manifestation of male insecurity I’ve ever seen. 😂