Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

500 mile range? LOL

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They go for short term gains from these speculations about future products and hope stock owners forget about the when the products come in underperforming and/or the resultant price drop will be less than the initial gain.
Sure seems to be working for them sadly. It makes no sense what Tesla's market cap is compared to other car companies. And even compared to other tech stocks, Tesla has not contributed much to the state of tech or consumer electronics.

The Debbie Downer crew strikes again! You folks must lead incredibly unhappy lives.

@TessP100D you misunderstand me, clearly. It's not that I don't agree with *some* of the things you guys post, it's that you hangout and constantly *sugar* on everybody's excitement, spewing feelings as facts and absolutes like you work at Tesla and are "in the know". You don't know any more than the rest of us.

But you're still here, every day, finding posts and making sure you reply bringing the mood down, so much one wonders your intentions and some wonder who's paying you. I'm just telling you what everybody else thinks when they read the constant negativity, you loose your power to influence with the forever Tesla and Elon bashing.

Personally, I wonder how some of you thought that the concept features would make it into production. I, and I suspect most readers, didn't buy that for a minute. Goals are not promises.

Elon shoots for the stars and that got him into orbit, while the rest shoot for the mountain tops, gazing upward in envy. Sometimes Elon's ambition gets course corrected, but without that ambition there is no progress.

The glass is half full.
If pointing out things that are incorrect is bringing the mood down, that’s sad. Ignoring common sense and real world examples that disprove things you post is just being ignorant. It’s not being excited about something coming out. Sure it’s disappointing when something doesn’t arrive as expected but it’s not someone fault for pointing that out to you. If you can’t accept criticism, keep your comments to yourself.
If this was the first time I've heard such doubters I'd be concerned about such a pompous lecture from some clown in the internet. However, I've been through over a dozen years of this against Tesla, starting with a Roadster reservation, some of whom actually were experts on some things.
This sounds like the doubters (without reservations) who predicted that Tesla would never make it when they had to raise the price on the Roadster.
Or what about those at ULA who declared SpaceX was incompetent when they were blowing up and crashing rockets, reaching a crescendo when they crashed the first time they tried to land on a barge.
Does anyone remember that the Model 3 was delivered earlier than initial goals/predictions?
It will be interesting to hear how this thread ages starting next week and even more interesting in about 6 to 12 months.
It is, of course, possible that the CT will be a total flop. On the other hand, as the Model S did, it could become the benchmark for the future of the pickup truck.
I'm ok though. I've been investing in popcorn for the past 3 weeks :)
If your reaction is to call me a pompous clown when you have no idea who I am or what I do for a living, then it casts doubt as to your level of knowledge. There is no need for name calling when someone is just pointing out facts to refute your claims. It isn’t personal. If you can’t take criticism of your comments, please keep them to yourself. If you would like to point out facts that disprove anything I have said, please post them out and I will own my mistakes as I have done elsewhere on here.

The model 3 was released early because Tesla would not exist today if they didn’t get money to start rolling in. Early model 3 owners were early alpha testers that paid $40k plus for the privilege. The cars had horrible panel gaps and noise and many other issues. They weren’t even close to being beta or release candidates. Pat on the back for being early but shame for saddling people with all the preproduction issues.

Glad you recognize the it could be a flop. Along with acknowledging that you shouldn’t personally attack people on here for having a different opinion than yours. See above you calling me a pompous clown if you don’t think that is a personal attack.

The design is polarizing. There’s times I like it and times I don’t. I am not a doubter. I wish it delivered on its promises. However, when it is 3 years late and no sign it will meet any expectations other than the design, it moves from doubting to being realistic with expectations as to what is coming.
I think you didn't hear/see what I saw/heard in the CT rollout. The unique thing about the CT was the Stainless steel structural exoskeleton (not just cosmetic or aerodynamic panels - structure). The idea was that this structural design would, similar to unibody construction, enable a lot more strength with a lot less mass as is needed to carry enough battery weight to enable long enough range while towing or hauling. So many people (Musk included) seemed to get caught up in the Cyberpunk aspects, steel shot, and sledge hammer that they missed that key element.
The challenges were many:
- Can they work the stainless steel to create the necessary shape?
- Will imperfections on the folding look bad on the final product?
- Can this design carry enough battery mass and still have sufficient payload mass to meet the market needs?
- Can it be done cheaply enough to provide a viable sell price?
- Will it really be better than the traditional body-on-frame or uni-body construction?
- Were there unknown issues that arose as they went down the path?
Whether it worked or not is the big question that we may learn more about Thursday.
Just like the Starship launches: Musk can't promise success but he can promise it will be exciting.

I tend to see the above as "Market Research", while "Marketing"(at least in the real world as opposed to the academic B-school) tends to be more about selling things as I described. You're probably right about that 101 course aspect. I was thinking more about what the industries I've been around call "Marketing".
You're probably also right that, as a technology company, Tesla is more interested, initially at least, in whether the technology works than whether it meets a particular understood market. The assumption in this case is that, if the technology proves superior, it can be applied in different areas to meet different market needs, just as the body-on-frame and uni-body techniques did.
The stainless panels are not a skeleton, the unibody is the skeleton. Instead of aluminum and sheet metal body panels they are using stainless. No different than the Delorean. There is no reason to have a unibody if the stainless body is an exoskeleton. Things with exoskeletons don’t have internal skeletons too. Pointless extra weight.
I always assumed that an exoskeleton meant that the panels would be load bearing. It seams to me that the Sheetmetal attached to the inner structure is not load bearing. The Skeleton of the Truck does the load bearing because everything attaches to it and it must support the weight of the Body panels and Glass roof. The Battery seems to also be load bearing because it holds the weight of everything above it like the Seats of the Truck. Without a strong shell the Truck wouldn't be able to support the weight of all of the external items attached to it.
This, 100% this.

I also am anxious to get this over with Thursday. If it has 500 mile range, great. I will be genuinely surprised and excited even though right now I don’t see it as possible. Hopefully everyone who was off in their predictions will admit that (both the “fan boys” and the “Debbie downers” your words not mine).

I'm not a design guy, but the cybertruck looks similar to this type of design, 4.4.01:_Structural_elements_and_functions_of_the_fuselage

The "payload" is the subframe that fits inside the fuselage, or in Tesla parlance, the stainless steel exoskeleton.

Optionally as others stated above, maybe the stainless steel is just the "skin" covering the fuselage. Guess we will find out at 2PM on Thursday. I am not sure a Giga Press, which creates an aluminum die cast passenger compartment and other structural elements can be compared to traditional stamped multi-segment unibody construction, but I am sure someone here has an opinion on that. Sandy Monroe uses the term dinosaur for part pressed unibody and the evolution to world class with die casting.

Last edited:
If pointing out things that are incorrect is bringing the mood down, that’s sad. Ignoring common sense and real world examples that disprove things you post is just being ignorant. It’s not being excited about something coming out. Sure it’s disappointing when something doesn’t arrive as expected but it’s not someone fault for pointing that out to you. If you can’t accept criticism, keep your comments to yourself.
I'll comment on whatever I like, thanks. If you don't like my comments please seek your safe space or you can optionally block me in the forum, in which case I'll still comment [on your posts] for everyone else to see but you.

I don't mind facts being pointed out as fiction, rather feelings being portrayed as facts ... but you somewhat made my point for me ... it hasn't arrived yet so most of this dribble is just speculation.

I think I can speak for more than a few when I say that we're here precisely to "be excited about something coming out" and we're all grown out of our diapers and can make our own decisions, regardless of the futile attempts of the "Debbie Downer Crew".

Reactions: zoomer0056
Optionally as others stated above, maybe the stainless steel is just the "skin" covering the fuselage. Guess we will find out at 2PM on Thursday. I am not sure a Giga Press, which creates an aluminum die cast passenger compartment and other structural elements can be compared to traditional stamped multi-segment unibody construction, but I am sure someone here has an opinion on that. Sandy Monroe uses the term dinosaur for part pressed unibody and the evolution to world class with die casting.
I for one don't expect to find out anything regarding specific engineering practices other than marketing type responses from Tesla designed to sell the product. Real design and engineering analysis will come into specific focus when someone like Munro Associates does an actual teardown and provides a real third party analysis of the design and structure of the vehicle.

• Informative
Reactions: Xenoilphobe
So what have they really contributed compared to say.. nVidia, Microsoft? Apple, Intel, amd, google, etc?

The company just constantly overhypes its capabilities and releases perpetually buggy software.
Tesla has created SDVs - or Software Defined Vehicles - which no other manufacturer has really completely figured out how to replicate to date. Most other EVs do not provide regular updates to their EVs in comparison - and a good many recalls require actual dealership visits to resolve for their EVs - because their supply chain model still utilizes parts from various third parties that own the code that controls their part - therefore the manufacturer cannot upgrade or update that code via any OTA/SDV model. Farley at Ford talked about this challenge in several videos not long ago. Not saying there aren't bugs - there certainly are, as you point out, but the entire design process that Tesla has pioneered is nextgen - and most other manufacturers are now scrambling to replicate what Tesla has figured out over the past 15 years - which is why Tesla is still the only player in the automotive space that can build EVs and actually make money. It's not just a matter of economies of scale - it's using a set of entirely new and much more efficient manufacturing processes that make building EVs profitably actually feasible. This is why GM, Ford, VW, Mercedes, BMW, etc., aren't making any money on their EVs in comparison - even at scale - they will still lose money. VW all but admitted this earlier this week when the CEO announced they are no longer competitive as he looks forward to the EV transition.

Your comparisons are off base at least to me. Why attempt to compare Tesla to other companies in different industry segments such as Microsoft, NVidia, Apple, Intel, AMD and Google? Tesla is primarily an energy company with a mission to accelerate the transition to renewable energies. Obviously transitioning the transportation fleet - which produces roughly 1/3 of all carbon pollution globally, is a good place to start, hence Tesla's focus on BEVs - both consumer and commercial grade. Tesla also is focusing on robotics (automation), AI, and space travel (via SpaceX). AI seems to be the only segment where your examples apply since the big software entities are increasingly focused on the AI race as well. We are still early in the transition game for BEVs (transition of the transportation fleet), but I'll give Tesla props for doing what no other player has been able to do to date in this space. Only time will tell how this all plays out, but Tesla has inserted itself as a major player in the green energy race overall. Their commercial energy division sold 1.5bb of megapacks in Q3 2023 alone - with almost a 30% gross margin, and is increasing markedly each quarter as traditional energy companies invest in megapacks to, at least initially, eliminate peak energy plants which sit idle for the most part and are not a good investment for that reason alone. Once peak energy has been addressed (which is nowhere near completion), the focus will shift more toward replacing older energy plants (coal, oil, gas, etc.).

Last edited:
Reactions: Yelobird