Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

500 mile range? LOL

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Most people here said the same things about the P3D before it came out, and I bought one anyway. It's been the best choice of vehicle I've ever made.

Tesla could put out a 1000 mile per charge vehicle and you will see the same type of complaints.

My suggestion - put in your reservation and wait to see "real world" information from people who own one. Your reservation won't be fulfilled before you see "real world" responses.
Yes I already have one in. I'm one of the early ones... about 200k in line so I'm thinking within a year or two? I'll wait it out and see what other people day. My wife gives me that look when I keep changing my mind. Lol.

Reactions: gtgarner
I'd just relax and watch it play out. I have one of the 2 million reservations but there's probably a million ahead of me. Plenty of time to enjoy reading about it, watching how others live with it. This is probably not a near-term decision for most reservation holders. If it is a neart-term decision for you, congratulations and consider buying, it because even a year from now when the agreement allows you to sell, it will still be scarce.
Agreed. I guess I just need some time to absorb the specs and reality. I was disappointed at first but will see what the real numbers are. Prob have a year or two to decide as I'm one of the earlier reservation holders... about 200k in the back of the line.

Sorry if these have been shared already.

But the Cybertruck is incredible.

Ethernet bus, 48V, custom stainless, huge stamped components just tons of bold moves.

I really want one. But I really don’t want to make a “statement” with my car. My S blends in. But there are to many crazy people around and I think they will make a statement back at it.

I’m sure a lot of the tech will trickle into the rest.

Also the square-ish interior is a turn off. I get the squarish exterior but a more plush looking interior would have been cool.

Oh one of the biggest things that almost convinced me is the bidirectional battery. Powerwalls are ridiculously expensive. As much as 20K installed for 1. And would power my house maybe 1/2 a day if I was conservative.

The battery in the Cybertruck is about 10 Powerwalls.

Honest-to-God truth. I have a P3D and have only used its full battery range once in 180K+ miles. Even on road trips - I only have a 200 mile bladder.
I stop 6 times from Chicago to the coast of New Jersy. Not because I want to - but because I have to - and that's not really a problem for me.
You must not drive in the mountains often. That does change things. I use the full range on my Y going 174 miles to my mountain cabin, because I also gain about 7000' in elevation. Add in weather and I definitely have to charge before I hit the big climb. And of course there's the discussion with how range is affected when we tow our Airstream with our X.

More range is generally welcome, depending on cost. It also helps with charge speed and maintaining battery health.

You must not drive in the mountains often. That does change things. I use the full range on my Y going 174 miles to my mountain cabin, because I also gain about 7000' in elevation. Add in weather and I definitely have to charge before I hit the big climb. And of course there's the discussion with how range is affected when we tow our Airstream with our X.

More range is generally welcome, depending on cost. It also helps with charge speed and maintaining battery health.

I never drive in the mountain. I live in the Chicago Illinois area with about 70 thousand other Teslas. (I know because EV Illinois license plates are given out in numerical order, and they are in the 80k range so far).

Not every vehicle is for every situation.

If I did live in the mountain, I would have done my homework a little differently before my Model 3 purchase. As it stands in the city, I have never gotten close to full usage of the battery pack.

Or we may come to the realization that going electric and saving the planet means we have to change the way we live. Just because we can do these things now (long trips towing heavy things or to remote regions) doesn’t mean we will be able to do them in the future if the goal is to reduce emissions. The pursuit of long range for towing comes at a heavy material cost which may or may not be doing worse things for the planet. Sure it’s great that gas allows us to travel long distances and see more of the world, but until the tech comes that is truly clean, maybe we need to adjust to a new reality.

Reactions: Canyonero and Nack
who actually thinks the car is gonna have 500 mile range?
CT 2M currently 340 miles plus 130 miles extra pack total 470 miles
Late 2024, 4680 gen 3a cell plus 10% power increase will get the vehicle over 500 miles
517 miles
Remember during the tech deep dive Drew graded the current 4680 a B
Btw, orig MY 4680 he called a C

Gen 3b in 2025 will achieve their long term goal they been targeting for complete dry cell for the last 10% power increase
570-585 miles
This gen will be an A in Drew’s mind
2025 Dual numbers will be
CT 2M 411 miles
Pack 170 miles
Total 581-585 miles
This will be amazing

• Funny
  • Disagree
Reactions: Evee and uscbucsfan
CT 2M currently 340 miles plus 130 miles extra pack total 470 miles
Late 2024, 4680 gen 3a cell plus 10% power increase will get the vehicle over 500 miles
517 miles
Remember during the tech deep dive Drew graded the current 4680 a B
Btw, orig MY 4680 he called a C

Gen 3b in 2025 will achieve their long term goal they been targeting for complete dry cell for the last 10% power increase
570-585 miles
This gen will be an A in Drew’s mind
2025 Dual numbers will be
CT 2M 411 miles
Pack 170 miles
Total 581-585 miles
This will be amazing
If they had mentioned 500+ miles with extender pack in the initial specs then I would buy this explanation. The fact it requires a backpack to get the range is disappointing. When they announced the ranges for the model 3 and then delivered them, there was no need for a backpack in the trunk to get the range announced.

Even with the 2025 specs you mention with 20% more energy, Tesla would need 25% more batteries in the truck to get 500 miles without a backpack and that would make it too large with them as one single pack.

I am glad you are optimistic but I with teslas track record, I would see your predictions maybe coming true by 2028.

Reactions: Nack

I agree, fange is more welcome, especially when Crazy Elon said on stage, it will have 500 miles of range and only cost 69,990. Then he said, ok ordered yours now. That’s what I did. I ordered one based on his statements. What he delivered was a total fail. I don’t care about Covid or 4 years of messing around with battery’s. He said that’s what he would deliver and he failed. Period.

Sorry if these have been shared already.

But the Cybertruck is incredible.

Ethernet bus, 48V, custom stainless, huge stamped components just tons of bold moves.

I really want one. But I really don’t want to make a “statement” with my car. My S blends in. But there are to many crazy people around and I think they will make a statement back at it.

I’m sure a lot of the tech will trickle into the rest.

Also the square-ish interior is a turn off. I get the squarish exterior but a more plush looking interior would have been cool.

Oh one of the biggest things that almost convinced me is the bidirectional battery. Powerwalls are ridiculously expensive. As much as 20K installed for 1. And would power my house maybe 1/2 a day if I was conservative.

The battery in the Cybertruck is about 10 Powerwalls.

I'm pretty sure Tesla won't let you use a Cybertruck as a full feature Powerwall on steroids and pump cycle after cycle through it while also honoring an 8 yr battery warranty ....

If they had mentioned 500+ miles with extender pack in the initial specs then I would buy this explanation. The fact it requires a backpack to get the range is disappointing. When they announced the ranges for the model 3 and then delivered them, there was no need for a backpack in the trunk to get the range announced.

Even with the 2025 specs you mention with 20% more energy, Tesla would need 25% more batteries in the truck to get 500 miles without a backpack and that would make it too large with them as one single pack.

I am glad you are optimistic but I with teslas track record, I would see your predictions maybe coming true by 2028.
We need two more generation iterations for the 4680
They are behind and last spring hired the expert
Need to see his work with Gen 3a and 3b
These battery tech generational changes are hard
Watch the CT tech deep dive on YouTube with Munro and the guys
Drew gives info

Oh yes we would see complaints about a 1000 mile vehicle. It would have to cost $350K or something ridiculous like that.

Honest-to-God truth. I have a P3D and have only used its full battery range once in 180K+ miles. Even on road trips - I only have a 200 mile bladder.
I stop 6 times from Chicago to the coast of New Jersy. Not because I want to - but because I have to - and that's not really a problem for me.
Good for you that you travel areas with good charging infrastructure. Like others on here I want an EV truck to go all EV with my vehicles (although my plad was to keep my LX570 but rarely drive it). So for me a 500 mile range would have made a massive difference. In Chicago but don’t drive in the cold and snow often? I’m 80 miles round trip (no charging) to my cabin and 100 miles round trip, up 3k feet (also no charging) to where we back country ski often. When there is fresh snow, temps in the single digits (F), that 100 miles (in my LR awd 3) I’ve left home with 90% and made it home with 5%, I'm not comfortable with that in the winter. If I want to go fish winter kings I’m 150 miles over 2 passes to the first SC heading south, there are days I won’t make it in the CT. Need to drive to Fairbanks for a ski race? It’s 400 miles, there a an SC every 100-140 miles, I’d have to stop at every one, three times in 400 miles and hope I didn’t have to wait in line for a spot, two stops have one SC, the other two have 2 chargers. I’ve waited 3 hours to charge in Talkeetna before and it is almost always 2-5 hours in line to get to charge on the SC in Honolulu.

I could have gotten 200-250 miles towing my camper 250-300 in the winter for me it could have been a game changer and been able to drive an EV (3 or CT) >95% of the time, basically every where except when I’m off roading.

If I didn’t don’t own the model 3 or if I skipped the 3 and still drove the 2014 S, I’d be a lot more ok with the ~300 mile CT.

The CT will be great for many people. But it is more of an urban truck (maverick, Santa Cruz) competitor then 1/2 ton. But a large number of people that drive pickups in the US never put anything in the bed that couldn’t go in a model Y. Now that I think more about it. There is approaching nothing I could do with the CT that I can’t do with my model 3.

• Disagree
Reactions: lowtek and Golflaw4
I'm pretty sure Tesla won't let you use a Cybertruck as a full feature Powerwall on steroids and pump cycle after cycle through it while also honoring an 8 yr battery warranty ....
There is no longer an 8 year battery warranty for new cars. I do think in the future there will likely be some type of kwh max or something to account for that usage.

We need two more generation iterations for the 4680
They are behind and last spring hired the expert
Need to see his work with Gen 3a and 3b
These battery tech generational changes are hard
Watch the CT tech deep dive on YouTube with Munro and the guys
Drew gives info
Teslas batteries are no better than anyone else’s. Battery day was a fail.

the next Billionaire will the guy who solves the chemistry for longer range and quicker charging without blowing up the drivers.
or should I say the next trillionaire .

• Funny
Reactions: outdoors
Teslas batteries are no better than anyone else’s. Battery day was a fail.
Really stretching now are we? I think it is a given they didn't get the improvements in the 4680 they wanted. Still wanted to launch.

I could be completely wrong, but I think the other automakers have had many don't park your car in one's garage moments. Haven't heard of those with Tesla.

With a battery at 260k and degradation of 11% I would have to say I would disagree with you. How many 250k mile cars are out there from other OEM's? Can't say I venture on the forums over at other places, but here there are plenty of Tesla's with those miles. Same battery, Same motors...

Really stretching now are we? I think it is a given they didn't get the improvements in the 4680 they wanted. Still wanted to launch.

I could be completely wrong, but I think the other automakers have had many don't park your car in one's garage moments. Haven't heard of those with Tesla.

With a battery at 260k and degradation of 11% I would have to say I would disagree with you. How many 250k mile cars are out there from other OEM's? Can't say I venture on the forums over at other places, but here there are plenty of Tesla's with those miles. Same battery, Same motors...
Tons of Prius out there with >250k miles. Original motors and batteries.

• Funny
Reactions: outdoors
Tons of Prius out there with >250k miles. Original motors and batteries.
Really? my dad's Prius had to have its battery replaced at 180k. Then he bought another one. After a while I thought the battery gives out,but you can still drive it. Kind of like a PHEV, but never plugging it in. So yeah it's a car, but it's not the original prius.

Yeah I'm not seeing tons of them. What I'm seeing is they die at about 150 to 200,000 mi. You never know on the internet.

The 4680 battery was and still is more about cost savings than anything else. Tesla intentionally has delayed major 4680 battery cell/pack tech improvements and has specifically focused on ramping up battery production capabilities instead - as every 4680 structural pack they can install vs a 18650 or 2170 pack saves them somewhere between $3500-5000 per vehicle - which is a significant costs savings. The Gen3/Gen4 manufacturing lines that we're hearing about aren't about getting major battery cell density increases at all. Those lines are to generate manufacturing efficiencies to drive down costs in other words, given Tesla likely has plans to utilize 4680 battery packs in the MY/M3 models, along with the Semi. To do so, they need to significantly ramp up manufacturing capacity. If Tesla can also innovate and realize battery cell density improvements - they will - but it's not the primary priority - volume manufacturing capacity and efficiency to drive down costs is priority one.

I think many people are under the impression that the Gen3/Gen4 lines in GigaTexas that are already under construction as we speak, are about better tech - but Tesla has never said this. We likely won't have any density improvements with these lines - as is evidenced by the fact that Tesla has also indicated they will be ramping down the first 4680 production line in Fremont entirely, with the goal of having that area of the Fremont plant redesigned and rebuilt for the nextgen 4680 battery line. In other words, the engineering dedicated to future 4680 battery cell improvements will be at Fremont (where it has always been since the inception of the 4680). There's a great video by The Limiting Factor that explains all of this in great detail. The Fremont work isn't slated to take place until next year - with the goal of seeing the nextgen 4680 in 2025/2026 timeframe.