Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

500 mile range? LOL

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Cool story.
Sounds like you’re trying to haul 10k lbs and definitely needed a bed to accomplish what you’re doing.

Lemme cross shop an CUV vs a truck. 🥴🥴🥴
No one has any mind as to what you purchase, you’re not the target buyer.
Do you work for out of spec or insideevs? Or are you happy the article was released and had to echo Kyle’s wishy washy stance on the CT?
I have a 6.7L F250 diesel that will do real work.
The CT is a dud. Crappy EV and impractical truck. Wake up!

I wonder if anyone that has towed with a or X/Y could weigh in on this.
Can't say I ever noticed increased noise in the cabin within our X, but maybe the new ones have this issue.
I haven't noticed increased road noise in either my 2016 X or my 2020 X when towing. But to be honest, they have the loudest road noise of any vehicle I've owned (edit to say - aside from my 1965 and 1968 Mustangs). Both are/were significantly worse than my 2014 S and my 2022 Y.

I can think of almost nothing I could do with the CT that I can’t do with my model 3 (that has roof rails and a 2” receiver).
I have to drive my truck when I go out in the field since more clearance is likely to be needed on the poor road and trails than our Model 3 or Y can handle. I hate the highway portion with the truck though. A CT would fit the bill just fine. The same goes for towing when I need to tow more than the Y can although I don't do that very often - the need has only come up once since we got the Y.
I don't do either enough to justify buying a new truck and definitely not a premium one or paying extra to get one quicker.

I recently did a towing capability (range, lbs) per dollar comparison of my options here in Canada (limited Rivian, Cybertruck or Chevy options).
Spec'd a Model Y, Model X and Ford Lightning.

Sat in a Cybertruck. Positive on the exterior (except for the hands prints and plastic trim that wasn't secured), but the interior, visibility (vehicle corners are where?), charge port location (for towing) lost to Lightning.

Lightning is being picked up this week, same $ out the door as Model Y performance here in Canada, dealers are dealing folks, got $21000 discount and two charge points included, mobile and wired. Keeping our still-amazing 2013 Model S.

I recently did a towing capability (range, lbs) per dollar comparison of my options here in Canada (limited Rivian, Cybertruck or Chevy options).

Sat in a Cybertruck. Positive on the exterior (except for the hands prints and plastic trim that wasn't secured), but the interior, visibility (vehicle corners are where?), charge port location (for towing) lost to Lightning.

Lightning is being picked up this week, same $ out the door as Model Y performance here in Canada, dealers are dealing folks, got $21000 discount and two charge points included, mobile and wired. Keeping our still-amazing 2013 Model S.

I took looked at Lightning recently and I think it's an easy choice over the Cybertruck especially since you can access a bunch of Superchargers now.

Just all around way better value.

Given the long charge time (and cost) of the Cybertruck there is little advantage of buy this Tesla truck over the F150 Lightning.

A friend is on his second Lightning - the first was totaled in a rear end collision. He likes it a lot. The frunk is cavernous. The interior is a bit “busy”, but pretty sure I’d get used to it.

My main concern would be for service after the sale if something did go wrong. Might be unfounded, but I wonder if the typical Ford dealer has any expertise troubleshooting and repairing EV issues, and if parts are readily available. Of course, some of this applies to the CyberTruck as well, being brand new.

In any case, our new-to-us 2022 Toyota Tundra is serving us well as a tow vehicle, and pushes any EV truck decision down the road for at least a couple years.

As an aside, we headed out to Texas yesterday for the eclipse. First night at a distillery in Jackson, TN (hic!).

53626512279_6055967d47_z.jpg

Interesting. I'm not in the market for a truck but how does one access these discounts? Are they just advertising them when you walk in the dealership? How do they knock off that much off the price and not lose money?

A friend is on his second Lightning - the first was totaled in a rear end collision. He likes it a lot. The frunk is cavernous. The interior is a bit “busy”, but pretty sure I’d get used to it.

My main concern would be for service after the sale if something did go wrong. Might be unfounded, but I wonder if the typical Ford dealer has any expertise troubleshooting and repairing EV issues, and if parts are readily available. Of course, some of this applies to the CyberTruck as well, being brand new.

In any case, our new-to-us 2022 Toyota Tundra is serving us well as a tow vehicle, and pushes any EV truck decision down the road for at least a couple years.

As an aside, we headed out to Texas yesterday for the eclipse. First night at a distillery in Jackson, TN (hic!).

Can't possibly be worse than Tesla service.

Can't possibly be worse than Tesla service.
You would be surprised on how bad it can get. My wife had a 2019 Flex Ecoboost prior to purchasing a Y and service at one of the largest Ford dealers was so bad that I will never buy another Ford again even with my access to employee discounts. Significantly worse than the 2 Tesla service centers I have dealt with in Michigan.

You would be surprised on how bad it can get. My wife had a 2019 Flex Ecoboost prior to purchasing a Y and service at one of the largest Ford dealers was so bad that I will never buy another Ford again even with my access to employee discounts. Significantly worse than the 2 Tesla service centers I have dealt with in Michigan.
Same and oddly same vehicle? Year after we got it all the foe chrome on the rear tailgate trim started to bubble and peel off. They said it’s normal wear and tare? Did manage to dispute and only 2 months later they replaced it. After all the damage they did to interior plastic panels I’m not sure I won that debate….

Reactions: Krobbler

If you ever have an issue with a dealer being clueless on your EV there I a dedicated EV Engineering hotline that you call and they contact the dealer to assist. The Lightning forums also have engineers as members that will work on your behalf if you have any issues.

As far as parts readily available, I’d say they are 2 weeks out on everything.

• Informative
Reactions: SmartElectric
Interesting. I'm not in the market for a truck but how does one access these discounts? Are they just advertising them when you walk in the dealership? How do they knock off that much off the price and not lose money?

Southern Ontario Canada. Separate dealers all competing with each other.

Ford corporate is giving $10K to get the 2023's off lots to make room for 2024 model year which had a stop production for many weeks, so the 2023 discounts are happening now instead of 3 months ago.

Dealers are then dipping into their profit margins for the extra, first offered $16000 off as listed on autotrader.ca, I then used that when talking to my local dealer, then used the local dealers offer of $17000 with yet another dealer, who countered with $20000, which then cascaded to the local who moved to $20500, then another round led to $21000 CAD discount, and they are throwing in the mobile charger ($650 option) and reduced "admin fees and extras".

My local dealer offers the discounts on standard range Lariat and all extended range trucks. XLT SR is out of luck, the margins on that are too low to deal.
Recall the Lariat is $16K CAD option over the XLT, with nicer seats, sunroof and blue cruise hardware ... lots of margin to spare.

• Helpful
Reactions: primedive
This is a point that many who don't ever tow anything don't really get. Having the charge port on the right or left rear is the worst location for towing. That's why Rivian's towing vehicles (R1T/R1S) locate their charge ports on the front left. While pull-through chargers are wonderful, they are few and far between, almost non-existent big picture, so you have to pull into the parking spot (you cannot back into any charging stall when you have a trailer) and therefore you locate the charging port closest to the charger such that you don't have to disconnect your trailer to charge. Rivian/Ford got this right. Cybertruck/Silverado EV got this completely wrong in comparison. For those who tow often with their EVs, the manufacturers should offer a "towing package" option that locates the charge port up front front for this reason.

The gov't facility where I work has F150 Lightnings, Tesla 3's. , Nissan Leafs. I really like the Lightning and now that the cost is down significantly it makes buying it more appealing.
I still prefer my Y because of the short charging times at superchargers but if I needed a second EV the Lightning would be my choice.
right now must be an amazing time to buy a used Lightning
find a disgruntled owner and low ball them, talking to the challenges of charging, etc
then love it with the Ford or Lectron to NACS adapter for Supercharging
good luck

Reactions: oldsport