Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

60 > 75 Upgrade now $2k

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you paid with a credit card, it's also worth checking with your credit card provider if they have some sort of purchase protection benefit. Lately they've been phased out to annual-fee/premium cards, but it never hurts to ask to see if they'll make an exception.

Wait a minute folks. I see a new 75 is now listed as 69,500k, that is just $500 more than the price of the 60 before it was discontinued but with Glass roof, so removing that 500 to account for solid roof, its the SAME price. So looks like they price dropped the S75 to be the S60 price and the 75D is now the 60D price

60 owners when we pay 2k ($2200 with tax) to upgrade now pay MORE than a new 75 costs. Its not a good deal at all, unfortunately we are getting shafted within months of buying the car. We should be getting the upgrade for free!

Also, it looks like Automatic lift gate is now standard. Again really frustrating as that was pretty much the ONLY thing I wanted in the PUP but I didn't want to pay such a huge premium for it, I really need that since my wife has a very tough time with the manual trunk lid.

I feel really let down now. Just 2 months after I buy the car, there is a much better car being offered for the exact same price and I have to now pay more to match up only part of it?

Or am I missing something?

That is really aggravating but it's, as others have said, a natural part of continuous upgrades and a brand new approach to sales/pricing with OTA upgrades and software unlocks. I would have loved the all glass roof, new center console, and AP 2.0 (which all came out, along with $2k price drop) about 3 months after we got our refreshed S, but the reality is that we still have the best car on the planet and it's simply the price of progress. The way I think about it too is that I wanted the car I got at the price I got it (and was willing to pay) so while it looks a little less shiny now in light of the changes and updates since, I have no regrets about the timing or the purchase itself.

All that said, I think it's worth reaching out to your service center to see if there are options for you. Can't hurt to ask, since it's sort of apples to apples.

Reactions: Sawyer8888
Well hurray for them I suppose. I have a base 60 with EAP that I JUST bought. Like I said, evolution of the car, redesigh, hardware changes etc are par for course. But if you are now charging the same money I paid a short while back to get the bigger battery, why are you asking me to PAY a difference for it? I should be given the upgrade for free, I have already paid you that money!

So you are saying that Tesla is never allowed to lower the price without refund people who "just" purchased said item? (By the way I wouldn't count 2 months as "just". Then what about the people that purchased "just"+1 day ago? The line has to be drawn somewhere.)

Well hurray for them I suppose. I have a base 60 with EAP that I JUST bought. Like I said, evolution of the car, redesigh, hardware changes etc are par for course. But if you are now charging the same money I paid a short while back to get the bigger battery, why are you asking me to PAY a difference for it? I should be given the upgrade for free, I have already paid you that money!

Not sure what this might mean, but maybe you'll like what's behind this...

Elon Musk on Twitter

How about those of us that are awaiting delivery of a 60 next week and now the price is the same? I'm not torn up about it, I bought technology, not a car IMO. I kind of expected it, even though I have body colored roof and SAS...so still happy and counting down the days!

Reactions: dss33
So you are saying that Tesla is never allowed to lower the price without refund people who "just" purchased said item? (By the way I wouldn't count 2 months as "just". Then what about the people that purchased "just"+1 day ago? The line has to be drawn somewhere.)

Yes I agree and for features, yes, even a day ago is fine, things change in terms of features, tech etc. But the 60 went UP in price not so long ago, and the 75 is now the same price, completely killing our depreciation and value. All I am saying is, atleast for the folks who got the 60's after the price increase, they should get the battery upgrade for Free, why are we made to pay $2k?

My understanding from previous posts is that the 60kWh battery is really about 62, and the 75kWh battery is really about 73, so the upgrade is is approximately 10kWh = $200/kWh = 3 miles of additional range. = $66 /mile.
Thus $2000 yields about 30 additional miles of range. (This assumes 333Wh/mile - I would do a bit better since my average is 308Wh/mile.)

My recollection from some articles I've read:
The gigafactory is targeted to make batteries at $100/kWh by the end of this year, and I think that they are at about $150/kWh now. It was probably pretty close to $200/kWh when we got our cars.

I'm sorry that I can't recall my sources, I read so much of this stuff and I don't know what may be useful later. I hope someone will correct any errors I may have made.

A little bummed because I really wanted the powered lift gate with my 60 I purchased less than a month ago, but I didn't want to spend the extra $3K to get it. I'd pay $500 for it now. Maybe Tesla offers a retrofit from their body shop?

I am happy I purchased the body-colored roof before it was discontinued. Yesterday I drove 10 hours roundtrip, half of which was in the South and Central Florida sun using a loaner with a sunroof (that was closed). My forehead baked and is slightly sunburned today. I should have stopped to buy a hat.

I'll hold off on the upgrade to 75 for now. If Tesla's pricing history is any indication, there is also a very good chance the upgrade could be even less in the future. Could be more, but I'm willing to gamble some more on this one.

I knew I was buying evolving technology that would continuously and rapidly improve, so I am not entirely upset that I missed out on a "better deal". If I had recently paid all that cash for the battery upgrade before today, yeah, then I'd be a bit sick right about now.

How much did you pay for that Tandy computer again? It's the nature of the industry. Suck it up and move forward, is what I'm telling myself.

How about that lift gate retrofit option? Any insight on this?

If they discount the 48A->72A high amp charger like they did for the 60->75 battery, I'm definitely buying that.
So if they discount it 80% of original cost, then it's what ~$300USD? I'm sold, enable the option already!
Does the charger upgrade show as an option in your My Tesla page?
Mine only ever showed the battery upgrade option.