Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

65 mph Speed Limit Signs "invisible" to Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

SSonnentag

埃隆•馬斯克
Apr 11, 2017
Arizona
Software Versions: 2020.36.x - 2020.40.4

My car sees and displays signs for 25, 35, 45, 55, and 60 mph just fine, but 65 mph signs don't get any recognition from the car. It often leaves me with a 30 or 45 mph maximum AP speed for this reason. This leaves me without AP for most of my weekly 350-mile commute.

Are others seeing this same behavior?

It did recognize a State Route 60 sign as a 60 mph sign though. :D

most of I-5, I-405, I-15 and I-215 are 65mph.....and then increase in some ares to 70mph....that is around LA, Irvine and Corona and San Diego
Possibly Tesla training data collection is limited to areas which don't have 65's? Perhaps Elon doesn't have a 65 on his commute, so missing 65 speed sign recognition was never caught in validation.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: r1200gs4ok
Software Versions: 2020.36.x - 2020.40.4

My car sees and displays signs for 25, 35, 45, 55, and 60 mph just fine, but 65 mph signs don't get any recognition from the car. It often leaves me with a 30 or 45 mph maximum AP speed for this reason. This leaves me without AP for most of my weekly 350-mile commute.

Are others seeing this same behavior?

It did recognize a State Route 60 sign as a 60 mph sign though. :D

Glad to see I'm not the only one seeing this. Neither of my Ss (December 2016 and December 2019) "see" the 2 65 signs I pass regularly. I figured it was just those signs. As it happens I was talking with the Tesla Help Desk about another matter this evening and asked about 65 signs. She said it's the first she'd heard of it. I did file a detailed report about it.

My AP1 once read a dirty 35 mph sign as 85 mph.
No car is even close to what two eyes connected to a brain can do.

FSD is not going to work until all cars on the road can talk directly to each other in real time.

That will not happen in my lifetime since it means all of the cars that can't do that will have to be in the junk yard and crushed.

Same here. There are multiple 65 and 70 mph signs my car ignores. On the road out of my neighborhood the GPS/Map data is wrong so when I first turn onto the road the car thinks its 45mph when it’s actually 50mph. About a mile down it sees the 55mph and changes appropriately then about a 1/4 mile later is the 65mph sign that it ignores and remains at 55 in the car. Then I turn onto a road that has a 70mph limit and the GPS/map data is correct so the car immediately adjusts to that thankfully but it ignores the signs as I pass them (no visualization presented). Technically I guess these roads may be considered county or farm roads and the release notes say local and highways so maybe it’s on purposed though I can’t see why they would do that especially after they added the highway sign recognition. Which by the way my car recognizes and displays many highway 65-75 mph signs.

I’ve noticed that going from a speed limit of 75 to 65, the car doesn’t recognize the 65. I can be on the 65 stretch for a few miles, and then sometimes it will recognize the 65, and other times, it doesn’t, and will stay at 75. Other times it will recognize the 65 for a moment, and then go back to 75. Seems to occur only on the one highway from what I’ve noticed.

I drive I95 and I64 between the DC area and Norfolk, VA pretty often and I have not seen any issues of the car not reading the speed limit signs as the go between 60, 65, and 70 mph. And especially on I64 there have been a number of recent changes. I did notice, however, one instance when the car showed a route 40 sign as if it were a speed limit sign, but it then ignored it and didn't change from the 35mph limit. So maybe it realized it's mistake?
My one ongoing annoyance is that I live on a dead-end residential street that has always been 25 mph and the database has it as 30 mph. So leaving the house, my car thinks it's 30 mph, but as I return, once I turn onto my street, it sees the sign and changes to 25 mph. Every day is groundhog day.

Reactions: drklain
I’ve noticed that going from a speed limit of 75 to 65, the car doesn’t recognize the 65. I can be on the 65 stretch for a few miles, and then sometimes it will recognize the 65, and other times, it doesn’t, and will stay at 75. Other times it will recognize the 65 for a moment, and then go back to 75. Seems to occur only on the one highway from what I’ve noticed.

In my experience with 2020.40.* (currently .4), is that it is now quite good at reading speed limit signs, even on the Freeway, which 2020.36.* didn't.

However, no logic yet to handle the complexity of school zone temporary speed limits.

• Informative
Reactions: GSP
I *assume* these issues are all with AP1, since the only report I noticed above that was identified as for an AP1 car was related to a "dirty" sign that was mis-read. My AP1 car reads almost all signs correctly. Exceptions occur only when a sign is obscured by something, like bad weather, a tree or another vehicle.

Reactions: aerodyne
I encountered this one in TX near Austin:

xr0kJwASEP_nZ0MidsEMC7MExegatvtpBzTDBVEuRHn04s2ZOfEClT2q-pGPnUBRCSLlCuzQR8r42ZyHSy3Vle3v402SMx8XXdxMnoE1U_sptdvr74Ce2jyJBBF8p1gAYvailZsEWFYJ4ueXiQhnDk_kfbzYUyZ88iLPmV_m3icjc9Io-bBl9BVP0DDc11h1wB4vFL8v6fpL65U6w4vN6ZyGn40Y3ngGkdb0T0mOxlqUTG3iwOwoyDWTWykpk1IrrgzTnbsm0uCEgdkAiqGYu0v0YPnpO-OUMs2uoFuDehqqC7X3s2Du_Mpb-bO_20VidvOUT3JQka0hUba_rnpEQ3E6QhjXp9LyIC74ncDBC_52YRo-5li8PVI1d4hZTMC_i2DDDyyGdYKe24_DIOnqBGqNntvfrhLDuW1xaX6R8BkeGxTBkkbDUtmvsBSwMZPaIj7E2ytgwRVf7F7OmWZ__UUnBJP2u47PwDwtXeMrcr1q2MFwJQ7oE0pb_g6Pren5K0JoWVAZMrSqssoJtcVEKIyfsv0C48FSqeCA8mQFjaR-s1hFCkFwxEaJM-XGnHtMilU5HB_4EtLJoa8yNjiPc1ymVv7cAIf_JgUZeWn8jY6cTIRV3irkCDUPm8ZJqgNuZ8enH6PXdCxsf2YS7heGisoAo7MDwJ1c-pxhgOCLQnsl3yx5j5oogn6pHqHMH30=w544-h967-no

I drive I95 and I64 between the DC area and Norfolk, VA pretty often and I have not seen any issues of the car not reading the speed limit signs as the go between 60, 65, and 70 mph. And especially on I64 there have been a number of recent changes. I did notice, however, one instance when the car showed a route 40 sign as if it were a speed limit sign, but it then ignored it and didn't change from the 35mph limit. So maybe it realized it's mistake?
My one ongoing annoyance is that I live on a dead-end residential street that has always been 25 mph and the database has it as 30 mph. So leaving the house, my car thinks it's 30 mph, but as I return, once I turn onto my street, it sees the sign and changes to 25 mph. Every day is groundhog day.

There are obviously two differing methods of setting the maximum speed, one for freeways/interstates and the other for highways, rural routes and such. My car seems to read the signs on freeways just fine as well, it's the state highways it ignores anything over 60 mph on.

• Informative
... do the cars actually read speed limits or are they basing it off of map info?

AP1 was actually reading those, but I know that for a veeeeery long time AP2 didn't. Not sure if it does now.

AP1 uses an entirely different software stack.

AP3 certainly reads speed limit signs, partially with 2020.32 and now fully with 40, when it comes to static speed limit signs in USA, at least the ones I've experienced.

Since 2020.40.4, my car doesn't read the correct speed limit signs. If it sees a "trucks with trailers - 55 mph Speed Limit" sign, or "Exit Speed Limit 35 mph" on the freeway, it will reduce the vehicle display reading to the last speed limit sign it saw, even if it doesn't apply to the road or my vehicle...it was much more accurate before this release.

• Informative