Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

7.0 in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
and I thought to be the first up the TWB range on autopilot; oh well. Also, I have found the energy usage under 7.0 to be less than previously

My drive to Geelong Friday week ago seemed to be a bit noisier than my recent (on Sunday) drive to Kilmore... But hey, I have only driven the car a little over 3 days now. :) Still can't get the grin off my face. Although tinting will now help with the photo-bombing.

IMO summoning your car will never be approved for Australia, without changes to the laws.

private property doesn't mean private road. so the law is a lot more fuzzy in this regard, tell me if your at a caravan park where it's private property but road rules apply as we have precedents for issuing of drink driving fines and other driving offences. your driveway and garage is in many regards may be included under the road rules, especially if there is public access.

Tesla have removed reference to summoning from parking on the Australian site, it still shows the graphic but only talks about parallel parking and auto parking at a supercharger. Haven't checked the US site to see if it is the same.

On another note, I noticed today driving in twilight and darkness tonight that the camera is picking up and displaying adjacent lanes, something it didn't do yesterday in daylight driving.

I find an interesting situation for the car is when the road has a curve on a crest. The crest may only be 4 feet high but it can't see the curve beyond the crest, it can see a parked car or even a oncoming car beyond and think that is where the road heads so will direct it self towards this collision. I have a few points on my daily run where this is the case. I keep my hands on the wheel and I look forward to the car learning. Has anyone else had the same experience?

Tesla have removed reference to summoning from parking on the Australian site, it still shows the graphic but only talks about parallel parking and auto parking at a supercharger. Haven't checked the US site to see if it is the same.
"Auto parking at a supercharger"? Here in the US that is news to me! What does the Australian website say about that, exactly? Thanks.

"Auto parking at a supercharger"? Here in the US that is news to me! What does the Australian website say about that, exactly? Thanks.

From the Australian Tesla site
Autopilot Parking
Model S helps you find a parking spot and automatically parks in it. In the city, it will notify you when it finds a parallel parking spot, then control steering, acceleration and deceleration to back smoothly into it. When approaching a Supercharger station, Model S automatically parks in an open stall.

On another note, I noticed today driving in twilight and darkness tonight that the camera is picking up and displaying adjacent lanes, something it didn't do yesterday in daylight driving.

In wet conditions under sporadic street lights last night I found that the car seemed to be more confident as to where the lane marking lines were than I was! Maybe it has something to do with the angle the camera looks at compared to a driver. I didn't have auto-steer engaged, but the display was consistently showing the grey lines on both sides indicating it was tracking them with confidence.

Range

I have done 500km since yesterday evening and over 400km of that was on Autopilot. (From Sunshine coast to Toowoomba and back, plus a bit of running around.) A few observations, some already noted by others.

The car performed better than i expected and I only had to take control about 6 times and all of those being slip roads the cars seemed keen to take, I was not game at 100kph to let it go and see if it corrected the error it self. I did eventually try that on a wide open exit where it started to move left and it did correct back into the lane but with a noticeable swerve. It was able to follow some surprisingly tight curves.

When driving up the Toowoomba range it handled following the winding road very well and even seemed to slow down to below the set cruise control speed on some sharper corners. I was holding the wheel and paying attention to other traffic to look too closely at the speed. I will try that again on some hinterland climbs to confirm I was not imagining it.

We encountered congestion on the Bruce hwy due to an accident and spent 20 minutes to cover 3km. It was faultless and made it such a breeze, you could have read a book as it trailed the traffic, smoothly matching the speed of the car in front from 0 to 10kmh.

Some auto lane changes required the car to sense a reasonable presence on the steering wheel, sometimes a light touch was enough. It will change lanes if you hold the indicator on without pushing past the detent. Doing it that way should be used as an indicator that you are paying attention, rather than the somewhat random amount of steering wheel pressure it wants to feel. Releasing the indicator too soon (less than half the car across the line) , it will cancel the change and move back into the original range. I found the car does move too far across to the far side of the lane you are entering before centring itself, on one occasion going onto the white line even though the indicator was off well before then.

It does not always hold the centre of the lane, it seems to be influenced by where the car in front is driving in the lane, but not all the time, I could not find a pattern in the habit. It follows a line around curves that is more conservative than I would take with regard to going close to the apex but it is certainly not an uncomfortable line that you feel you must correct.

After a few hundred km in Autopilot, towards the end of the trip in heavy Brisbane traffic when it was not in Autopilot, I had become so comfortable with the car having control that you had to consciously remember that you had to do the braking etc. Which is a good sign the the Autopilot style of driving feels fairly natural.

All up, a very impressive bit of technology that will get even better.

PS thanks Ray for the energy info for planning the trip, with 8 hours on the UMC overnight I had plenty for the return trip, arriving back with 20% left (P85D in range mode, 202 Wh/km on the way up and 162 Wh/km on the way back, sitting on the limit the whole time when traffic allowed). The UMC was charging at 10 amps, 245v and adding 11km per hour.

So did you do 400 km on the one overnight charge in the P85D, still with 20% charge left? That's impressive, if so. I see you were in range mode. Are Ray's tips to you here on the forum, or private? I've not been game enough yet to try such a distance, and found your post very interesting indeed. As a country Victorian, it can be a distance btw charge points ...

So did you do 400 km on the one overnight charge in the P85D, still with 20% charge left? That's impressive, if so. I see you were in range mode. Are Ray's tips to you here on the forum, or private? I've not been game enough yet to try such a distance, and found your post very interesting indeed. As a country Victorian, it can be a distance btw charge points ...
All tips are on the forum. Another one to look at is my numbers on a recent BNE->SYD->BNE trip - see http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/50256-Distance-driving-Brisbane-to-Sydney/page4

They removed it due to the homelink issue, and removing it doesn't remove their liability to all owners prior to removal.

- - - Updated - - -

I find an interesting situation for the car is when the road has a curve on a crest. The crest may only be 4 feet high but it can't see the curve beyond the crest, it can see a parked car or even a oncoming car beyond and think that is where the road heads so will direct it self towards this collision. I have a few points on my daily run where this is the case. I keep my hands on the wheel and I look forward to the car learning. Has anyone else had the same experience?
My AP shut down yesterday in an intersection that confused it. As requested I took over. And completed the intersection for it. I did the same lane in the same intersection today, and my model s in AP took it no problems at all. I taught my car the right line! Amazing technology!

Two new observations on autopilot:

1: When coming to the end of a dual carriage way( Near Seymour). I was in the Right Lane (100kmHr) but the road markings have the angled Dotted line as the left lane merged right. When Model S started to "read" the line markings we lurched hard Left momentarily and it disengaged. I manually corrected then went back into Autopilot. But further closer to Melbourne.....

2: On the same Highway- roadworks signs where up that its 80 Ahead then another 60 ahead signs all over about 1 km distance. On Autopilot Model S ignored( or didnt see) the road signs and continued on at 100KmHr- Had to manually disengage in a bit of a hurry as I reached the road crew.

Anyone else experienced these ones yet?

1: When coming to the end of a dual carriage way( Near Seymour). I was in the Right Lane (100kmHr) but the road markings have the angled Dotted line as the left lane merged right. When Model S started to "read" the line markings we lurched hard Left momentarily and it disengaged. I manually corrected then went back into Autopilot. But further closer to Melbourne.....

2: On the same Highway- roadworks signs where up that its 80 Ahead then another 60 ahead signs all over about 1 km distance. On Autopilot Model S ignored( or didnt see) the road signs and continued on at 100KmHr- Had to manually disengage in a bit of a hurry as I reached the road crew.

Particularly the 80 limit at road works; mine never sees those; sometimes sees 80 elsewhere and sometimes as 30.

Particularly the 80 limit at road works; mine never sees those; sometimes sees 80 elsewhere and sometimes as 30.

Might have been just luck but I had mine correctly read an LED 40 sign for I think the first time ever after upgrading to 7.0. Hoping they've improved this (although it's probably all just up to MobilEye's database so Tesla may have little control).

Might have been just luck but I had mine correctly read an LED 40 sign for I think the first time ever after upgrading to 7.0.

I've noticed it seems to correctly read the LED 40 signs now, too. The *real* test will be if it can read the LED 80 signs. Previously it ignored them or read them as 30.

It's still frequently reading normal 80 signs as 30, though and insisted that a long drive along Rosanna Road today was 40 all the way despite passing multiple 60 signs.

My gut impression is that it's better at LED signs but worse at normal signs, but this just might be because I'm looking at it more with the move of the enunciator from the map display to the instrument cluster.

I find routinely that the car does not see our low medians with the angled sides. So, if you are on the inside lane, it sees the dotted line lane divider and not the median. I continuously have to take over to stop it ploughing into the median. Happened today on Frenchs Forest road and even the Warringah freeway. Mind you, i am mainly using it there to provide data to Tesla. TACC, on the other hand now detects cars cutting in ahead well and reacts smoothly. Still approaches the lights at speed and stops relatively abruptly.
Also, on curves the car does seem to wander quite a bit. Following cars must think i am drunk or something. Quite a bit of smoothing out needs to happen, but hey, it IS Beta after all.

Also, in other news, following my representation, HQ is now actively looking at Homelink for us. I have this from two reliable sources.

Yes I have experienced issues with tight crests and curves, but not with it directing to parked objects. I think that the current implementations sees the line on the crest as being at an angle and turns accordingly.

Also sounds like some of these issues will be addressed soon: Twitter

In any case, this is an awesome start and I am now very comfortable driving with 7.0, as it is pretty easy to see when it may have an issue and be ready for that.

On Autopilot Model S ignored( or didnt see) the road signs and continued on at 100KmHr
Autopilot won't automatically adjust the speed, you need to pull the cruise control lever back for about a second after it has (successfully) read the sign.
Same goes for the guy in Florida that claims autopilot got pulled over for speeding.

I had the car misread a 110km/h sign as 10km/h last week - I hope if they ever implement the "automatically adjust speed" feature it can be turned off! At least until it's 99.999% accurate.

I find routinely that the car does not see our low medians with the angled sides. So, if you are on the inside lane, it sees the dotted line lane divider and not the median. I continuously have to take over to stop it ploughing into the median. Happened today on Frenchs Forest road and even the Warringah freeway.

I've noticed the exact same thing. Happens all the time for me too, so I've stopped driving in the right-hand lane unless there is a line marking on the right-hand side. I don't see why it can't stick to the one line it can see in these situations.

1. With this one I think you will find the car learning from the experience, and next time it will take the correct path. Keen to know if it does, as it certainly has for me. Everyone else will benefit from your teachings.....so best get it right and no donuts!
2. AP doesn't change speed yet for road signs, and I've found neither 7 or 6.2 are able to read the low level signs placed temporarily by work crews. I suspect its scanning at a higher level.