Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

7.0 in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just reading through the .77 release notes and something caught my eye - Autoparking need to calibrate for anything up to a few days before it becomes active.

I don't recall reading that being explicitly stated in the US release notes, and this may explain why there were a bunch of reports of Autoparking simply not working initially for many in the US.

Looking forwards to my first drive this morning with v7...

My daily commute is 30 minutes on the M1 and M3 in Melbourne, very consistent and visible lane markings throughout. I am hopeful that auto steer will work well on this route. Will give it a whirl on Monday and report back.

....autopilot completed 45kms in moderate traffic on the M1 and M3 flawlessly. Asked me to hold the wheel twice, only for a couple of seconds (making sure I was still there??). I took over only twice: when a semi ran outside his lane and encroached on us too much for my liking, and at the off ramp from the M3 to M1. Other than that it was absolutely a dream run.

What a car!!!!!

I think we need a new thread: "Things to do while Autopilot is taking care of driving" (apart from being vigilant of course!)

Just reading through the .77 release notes and something caught my eye - Autoparking need to calibrate for anything up to a few days before it becomes active.
I don't recall reading that being explicitly stated in the US release notes, and this may explain why there were a bunch of reports of Autoparking simply not working initially for many in the US.
Yes I think that's new to .77
Also, in the settings menu underneath the "enable auto-steer" mine initially said "Autopark is calibrating"
After about ~100km the message was no longer there. I didn't get a chance to try Autopark until very late in the day, but it worked first time.

Tried auto park yesterday and it failed to recognise a parking spot. Gave it another go today, and it is brilliant and quick. 10cm gap to the kerb! Obviously was still calibrating yesterday.
OTOH tried auto steer on Eastern Arterial road. Very iffy and jerky. Of course it is not designed for roads like that, but it gets too close to the edges of the lanes quite often. I figure it is going to get better, so i am using it for the express purpose of providing data to the mother ship.

On a separate note, we won't be getting auto garaging since we don't have Homelink. I checked again today and Landrover does offer it as an option. So i wrote to Kasey at HQ and to Huw, so hopefully the message will get to senior management who will be the only ones who can intercede with the Gentex corporation, manufacturer of the product. see page 9 of the link under vehicle aids. http://www.landrover.com.au/Images/LR9588_2015_RR_Evoque_Spec_Sheet_300x215_Con_LR_tcm296-122947.pdf

Nothing to see here, just a bunch of Aussies (mostly) having a yarn and a rant around the barbie. Imagine what'd happen if we starting talking about footy. :biggrin:

And to show I can do on topic...I've scheduled my 7.0 update for overnight tonight (was worried I wasn't going to get it for a while since my internet has been flaky the last few days) and planned some long distance driving for the weekend. Gotta train those maps!

How do you schedule the update? Mine failed on Saturday night so I am stuck on v6.2n(i received a notification via iOS app that software update failed)..:crying:

is it just me or do others with a p85d agree that it seems to make less noise, particularly under acceleration, after this update. Seemed that way to me today and I wonder if there has been a tweak to the power delivery logic particularly for the front motor?

Or am I imagining things?

I went for a long drive in my P85 (not D) last night and I thought it was quieter during acceleration as well. I eventually decided it must have been my imagination but perhaps not. It's definitely smoother at low speeds and initial take-off as well and I felt like I was not getting as much tyre slip at full acceleration (not a problem for the D crowd I know). I also seemed to be getting power consumption figures significantly lower than I ever have before. It feels like Tesla have downloaded me a newer better car beyond just the autosteer awesomeness.

- - - Updated - - -

It will be really interesting to see if the car learns Australian roads; it seems to me that we still don't know exactly what constitutes "system learning" by the Model S- does data input by a US car change the behaviour of an Australian car?? Or will our system learn much more slowly, given the small numbers driving around here??? How much of the car's learning is GPS-based???
The thread in the Model S forum about Autopilot self-improvements over its first week of US release is really one of the most remarkable examples of technology-in-action that I have ever seen. At first I could hardly believe it, but pretty much everyone is saying the same thing: Autopilot was pretty rough at first, now it's really good. Maybe excellent. Astonishing.

Can you (or someone else) post a link to this thread? I haven't been able to find it anywhere.

Can you (or someone else) post a link to this thread? I haven't been able to find it anywhere.

I think this is the one.

Autopilot is already improving.

ICUDoc poses some interesting questions. I think our system will learn quickly despite the much lower fleet volume. Even on regional roads & back roads, it'll presumably learn from your own previous driving corrections on those roads. Some logic tweaks will no doubt be universally applied but obviously adapted to local conditions.

On a separate note, we won't be getting auto garaging since we don't have Homelink. I checked again today and Landrover does offer it as an option. So i wrote to Kasey at HQ and to Huw, so hopefully the message will get to senior management who will be the only ones who can intercede with the Gentex corporation, manufacturer of the product. see page 9 of the link under vehicle aids. http://www.landrover.com.au/Images/LR9588_2015_RR_Evoque_Spec_Sheet_300x215_Con_LR_tcm296-122947.pdf

What do you mean "garaging"? Do you mean summoning the car on private property? Because I have been really hanging out for that one - though I do believe it is too difficult a problem to solve in the short term. And as for "garaging" does that mean Australia doesn't get the snake as well?

It's about time Homelink came to Australia anyway.

IMO summoning your car will never be approved for Australia, without changes to the laws.

private property doesn't mean private road. so the law is a lot more fuzzy in this regard, tell me if your at a caravan park where it's private property but road rules apply as we have precedents for issuing of drink driving fines and other driving offences. your driveway and garage is in many regards may be included under the road rules, especially if there is public access.

What do you mean "garaging"? Do you mean summoning the car on private property? Because I have been really hanging out for that one - though I do believe it is too difficult a problem to solve in the short term. And as for "garaging" does that mean Australia doesn't get the snake as well?

It's about time Homelink came to Australia anyway.
yes, that is exactly what I mean. If the car can't open your garage door, it ain't gonna move. I researched this a while back and the stumbling block is the manufacturer of Homelink in the USA, Gentex Corp. needs a letter campaign to HQ as service help cannot do anything with this one. I have also written to Huw and asked him to forward appropriately. The problem is definitely senior management level. I don't know, but I am fairly sure, that the necessary hardware is already in our cars. In any case, I would be prepared to pay for its installation.

yes, that is exactly what I mean. If the car can't open your garage door, it ain't gonna move. I researched this a while back and the stumbling block is the manufacturer of Homelink in the USA, Gentex Corp. needs a letter campaign to HQ as service help cannot do anything with this one. I have also written to Huw and asked him to forward appropriately. The problem is definitely senior management level. I don't know, but I am fairly sure, that the necessary hardware is already in our cars. In any case, I would be prepared to pay for its installation.

Ahh, well you see, I don't have a garage - just a car port. Isn't that a sufficient loophole to switch on summoning for some?

You know, summoning the car was supposed to come out with this update. But surely it is a bit more complicated than just following line markings. I originally thought that you would have to TEACH the car what to do and so pre-program in certain private manoeuvres - ie, do it a couple of times and Tesla learns what you are doing and repeats it.

-----

Today I went driving on the freeway again in autopilot mode - just to do it again. But this time, instead of showing off with hands in lap, I actually left my hands on the wheel and let it rotate under my grip (you know, the way you are supposed to). So showing off aside, it is actually much less frightening letting the wheel move itself under your grip. You feel like you can instantly override it. Also the car complains a lot less, especially about changing lanes. One thing to note too is that autopilot does not complain at all if you step on the gas too. This is useful in widening the gap for a lane change.

Edit:
(OK the pedal, I meant step on the accelerator pedal)

Last edited:
Homelink is just one solution. You just need a button on the screen that sends a frequency out. The hardware is there for that, but the engineers need to do some design and activation. I'm in communication with Kasey as well.
I presume tesla will be honouring everything they represented I would be recieving.

- - - Updated - - -

I think this is the one.

Autopilot is already improving.

ICUDoc poses some interesting questions. I think our system will learn quickly despite the much lower fleet volume. Even on regional roads & back roads, it'll presumably learn from your own previous driving corrections on those roads. Some logic tweaks will no doubt be universally applied but obviously adapted to local conditions.
The road I did today caused it to cancel at a major intersection which had no markings. I took over and showed it the way, and AP automattically restarted once it picked up the lanes on the other side. I'm planning to do the exact same lane tomorrow morning to see if it learnt.

- - - Updated - - -

Has anyone else noticed that AP can sometimes target cyclists in bike lanes?....as in drive straight for them? I'm trying to teach my car that doing such isn't acceptable behavior.

Maybe it was always there and with new colours is more prominent, but the small Nav display that appears on the dashboard now has arrows lit up showing which lanes you can be in for the route you have set. E.g if there are four lanes it shows four arrows and then has say two highlighted to show you want to be in the rightmost lanes to turn right.

Was that always there or is it new?

Maybe it was always there and with new colours is more prominent, but the small Nav display that appears on the dashboard now has arrows lit up showing which lanes you can be in for the route you have set. E.g if there are four lanes it shows four arrows and then has say two highlighted to show you want to be in the rightmost lanes to turn right.

Was that always there or is it new?

Its been there all along. :)

I have done 500km since yesterday evening and over 400km of that was on Autopilot. (From Sunshine coast to Toowoomba and back, plus a bit of running around.) A few observations, some already noted by others.

The car performed better than i expected and I only had to take control about 6 times and all of those being slip roads the cars seemed keen to take, I was not game at 100kph to let it go and see if it corrected the error it self. I did eventually try that on a wide open exit where it started to move left and it did correct back into the lane but with a noticeable swerve. It was able to follow some surprisingly tight curves.

When driving up the Toowoomba range it handled following the winding road very well and even seemed to slow down to below the set cruise control speed on some sharper corners. I was holding the wheel and paying attention to other traffic to look too closely at the speed. I will try that again on some hinterland climbs to confirm I was not imagining it.

We encountered congestion on the Bruce hwy due to an accident and spent 20 minutes to cover 3km. It was faultless and made it such a breeze, you could have read a book as it trailed the traffic, smoothly matching the speed of the car in front from 0 to 10kmh.

Some auto lane changes required the car to sense a reasonable presence on the steering wheel, sometimes a light touch was enough. It will change lanes if you hold the indicator on without pushing past the detent. Doing it that way should be used as an indicator that you are paying attention, rather than the somewhat random amount of steering wheel pressure it wants to feel. Releasing the indicator too soon (less than half the car across the line) , it will cancel the change and move back into the original range. I found the car does move too far across to the far side of the lane you are entering before centring itself, on one occasion going onto the white line even though the indicator was off well before then.

It does not always hold the centre of the lane, it seems to be influenced by where the car in front is driving in the lane, but not all the time, I could not find a pattern in the habit. It follows a line around curves that is more conservative than I would take with regard to going close to the apex but it is certainly not an uncomfortable line that you feel you must correct.

After a few hundred km in Autopilot, towards the end of the trip in heavy Brisbane traffic when it was not in Autopilot, I had become so comfortable with the car having control that you had to consciously remember that you had to do the braking etc. Which is a good sign the the Autopilot style of driving feels fairly natural.

All up, a very impressive bit of technology that will get even better.

PS thanks Ray for the energy info for planning the trip, with 8 hours on the UMC overnight I had plenty for the return trip, arriving back with 20% left (P85D in range mode, 202 Wh/km on the way up and 162 Wh/km on the way back, sitting on the limit the whole time when traffic allowed). The UMC was charging at 10 amps, 245v and adding 11km per hour.

is it just me or do others with a p85d agree that it seems to make less noise, particularly under acceleration, after this update.

It's not just you. My wife had the last drive of our P85D with v6.2 and we both thought the electric whine from the front was getting loud. With v7.0 it's back to just a very subtle and pleasing noise.

Bit too early to be sure of this. Need. More. Testing. Must. Resist. Urge. To. Drive. For. No. Reason.

PS thanks Ray for the energy info for planning the trip, with 8 hours on the UMC overnight I had plenty for the return trip, arriving back with 20% left (P85D in range mode, 202 Wh/km on the way up and 162 Wh/km on the way back, sitting on the limit the whole time when traffic allowed). The UMC was charging at 10 amps, 245v and adding 11km per hour.
and I thought to be the first up the TWB range on autopilot; oh well. Also, I have found the energy usage under 7.0 to be less than previously