Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

7.1 > 8.0? Seems like an update for Tesla's legal team, and a net loss for customers.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Read through the entire thread. Although I enjoy AP daily and don't want to drive a vehicle without at least TACC, I will continue to keep my hands on the wheel and will probably never fully trust AP. (I don't think anyone should.) I rarely hear a nag with 7.1 so I'm anxiously awaiting the update.

Cabin Overheat Protection is exciting for dog owners. I like taking my dog with me on trips and there are pit stops where I can't take my dog. I've been using the work-around but I'm so glad this feature is getting more exposure to those unfamiliar with this additional advantage EVs have over ICE. I hope it is added to the Bolt and other EVs.

8.0 is a win for legal, customers, and the public, IMO.

Some here rail against leaving the dog etc............
The Cabin Overheat Protection is one of those bonuses you didn't know you wanted. :)
We take our dog upstate with us and stop at a rest area. After a quick walk it's my turn for some relief. :)
So yes he is in the car maybe 20 minutes sometimes. This is a good back-up for "forgetful" people

Reactions: msnow
That's a peculiar way to look at the addition of safety features.

I like knowing the car will now look for more opportunities to lessen impact in a crash, that the car will maintain a non lethal temperature, also will not turn off the AC when I get out of the car and my wife is in the passenger seat with my infant son in the back, and won't allow people to use autopilot without paying attention to their surroundings.

It amazes me that instead of celebrating the fact that our cars get significantly safety and feature updates free of charge years after purchase, people make posts like yours. Stay on 7.1, or even just sell your tesla and get and ICE car where you will never have to worry about anything being upgraded.

I'm still on the fence and I can't really upgrade at the moment because I'm in the middle of a nice little road trip at the moment. Superchargers ftw.

In general, the update seems like a combination of changes, some improvements and some restrictions (nags), or bugs (usb).

Tesla is a lot of different things to a lot of different buyers. I bought the car almost exclusively for autopilot, some never use it, some bought the car because it is the first practical EV replacement for a normal car, and they want to help the environment, and some people could care less about any of that and just wanted the fastest car around.

Depending on how you value the various benefits the Model S brings, will determine how you see each update. Honestly this one seems to be a net benefit but please try to understand if one buyers 'balance of values' is different from your own. "Go buy a different / ICE car" is a pretty childish response, and makes me wonder what other subconscious notions are floating around in your head when you have such a strong opinion of someone else's choices.

Peace!

Some here rail against leaving the dog etc............
The Cabin Overheat Protection is one of those bonuses you didn't know you wanted. :)
We take our dog upstate with us and stop at a rest area. After a quick walk it's my turn for some relief. :)
So yes he is in the car maybe 20 minutes sometimes. This is a good back-up for "forgetful" people

Preventing the car from getting to 105 isn't any help for the dog. We need the ability to set that number that is supposedly coming "soon" in 8.1.

Reactions: davidc18
Haven't installed yet as I have been out of town. Pretty disappointed that 8.0 does not include nav improvements.

From Tesla's site (below). What you are looking for might not be on there, but there are improvements. Most of them are visual changes which are welcome, but better routing I'm hoping is next.

Maps & Navigation

1. Swipe to navigate to home or office
  2. Controls now hide and show as required
  3. Improved location listing
  4. Map automatic zooming
  5. Option to avoid tolls and ferries
  6. Clearer turn instructions
  7. More visible round trip energy estimate
  8. Choice of time savings before traffic based re-routing

Reactions: scottf200
During this trip I was far less fatigued, and got to spend more of my time looking around outside rather than worrying about lane-keeping or maintaining speed -- my situational awareness was actually enhanced. This ability to use Autopilot was one of the key reasons why I bought a Tesla last year.

But now with 8.0, I have to agree with the title of this thread: the new restrictions trying to force hands on the wheel at all times are a huge loss of functionality and were obviously done to reduce Tesla's legal liability. If you can't drive hands-free for more than a minute even on a limited access highway, what's the point of auto steering??? To me, that's just as ridiculous as making you touch the brakes or accelerator at least once per minute when using cruise control.

Needless to say, I (like a number of other Tesla owners) will not be "upgrading" to 8.0.
I agree completely.
The Tesla is arguably the most advanced car in existence, yet the iPhone app is embarrassingly outdated
How is the app outdated? It seems to be more advanced than the app for every other EV on the market.
In general, the update seems like a combination of changes, some improvements and some restrictions (nags), or bugs (usb).

I bought the car almost exclusively for autopilot.
I also bought the car almost exclusively for autopilot. Reading about the new USB issue of not being able to scroll by clicking the letters of the alphabet down the side of the screen is another big issue with 8.0. I use those letters for scrolling through USB music at least 5 times per week.

Haven't installed yet as I have been out of town. Pretty disappointed that 8.0 does not include nav improvements.
I may like the ability to 'avoid tolls' which is a nav improvement. Back when I drove a Volt it's nav let me do that and when I had time and routes were not that different (timewise) I would avoid the higher speed highways and toll roads.

Now with the Tesla X, tho, I often prefer the highways simply because auto-steer/pilot works so well there.

So, I just learned that 8.0 eliminates the 'mute audio' nag technique. I think that was a great way to escalate the notification without asking the driver to look down every few minutes at the display to make sure the system sensed their hands. All things considered, I think I'm going to hold off on the update for now. I have seen enough comments from people that made the switch that hope it is fixed in 8.1 or a future update... I suspect it will never return to the previous level.

Elon and I don't need the nags. We pay attention and safely use the system where it is appropriate. NHTSA needed the nags.

One final note: There are many people assessing the performance of autopilot lane keeping etc. right after the update. Please try to remember the high variation that autopilot has day to day in different lighting and road conditions. It seems impossible to really judge the system better or worse after a limited test. A month from now, there may be some consensus on the improvements.

So, I just learned that 8.0 eliminates the 'mute audio' nag technique. I think that was a great way to escalate the notification without asking the driver to look down every few minutes at the display to make sure the system sensed their hands. All things considered, I think I'm going to hold off on the update for now. I have seen enough comments from people that made the switch that hope it is fixed in 8.1 or a future update... I suspect it will never return to the previous level.

Elon and I don't need the nags. We pay attention and safely use the system where it is appropriate. NHTSA needed the nags.

One final note: There are many people assessing the performance of autopilot lane keeping etc. right after the update. Please try to remember the high variation that autopilot has day to day in different lighting and road conditions. It seems impossible to really judge the system better or worse after a limited test. A month from now, there may be some consensus on the improvements.
If your hands are off the wheel you're being unsafe and jeopardizing other people's lives on the road which is irresponsible because beta AP is not mature enough yet. If the NHTSA publishes recall findings that these controls must be in place there won't be any choice for you. Trying to link you and Elon in the same sentence is ridiculous.

Last edited:
I think you underestimate Elon's need to review and approve all software features, including nags. He will of course have the latest and greatest software available from his team, but I doubt it has things like nag disabled.
If Elon is driving with nags enabled, why do you think the software has hidden settings to disable them? If nobody is using those settings, it seems silly that Tesla is maintaining them.

I can 99.9% guarantee that Elon (and likely other board members/senior executives) don't have any nags. This is also reinforced by comments that Elon himself has made about checking his email while he drives.

If Elon is driving with nags enabled, why do you think the software has hidden settings to disable them? If nobody is using those settings, it seems silly that Tesla is maintaining them.

I can 99.9% guarantee that Elon (and likely other board members/senior executives) don't have any nags. This is also reinforced by comments that Elon himself has made about checking his email while he drives.
No way.