Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

7.1 > 8.0? Seems like an update for Tesla's legal team, and a net loss for customers.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thrice now since 8.0 update I have had the AP speeding towards a stopped vehicle at a red light and had to take over the braking.
This did not happen before the update so I am a little concerned. I hope the car "tunes" itself and stops this nonsense;)
Each time the stopped car was more than 100 feet ahead and I would wait for the car to sense the stopped vehicle. Once the car stopped but way too late, the other 2 times I took over not wanting to wait till I was 18 feet away. So in these early stages it appears my AP has gotten worse.

Are you sure it didn't happen before? Under 7.1, it brakes frighteningly late, but I have yet to have it actually miss - it usually starts about two seconds before I think I will have to intervene to stop the car - and ten or fifteen seconds after I think it should.

Reactions: newtman
My update was two days ago. The car indicated that the update was "successful". I watched the short video on Evannex regarding the changes but I have yet to see any of them on my car. Slacker looks and operates the same, Icons at the top of the screen have not changed and the voice recognition display in the same also.

Is it possible that the update was not really downloaded? Maybe as a late 2013 build these updates don't apply. Anyone else experience this situation?

Are you sure it didn't happen before? Under 7.1, it brakes frighteningly late, but I have yet to have it actually miss - it usually starts about two seconds before I think I will have to intervene to stop the car - and ten or fifteen seconds after I think it should.
It did happen before. The first few days I had the car and then not again. AP was erratic that first week. I have been in the same situation many times and it reared it's ugly head again after the update.
I would like to add that stop/Go for whatever reason is inconsistent after 8.0. Not as smooth as before. IK others have claimed it's better so I don't know why this is.

Thrice now since 8.0 update I have had the AP speeding towards a stopped vehicle at a red light and had to take over the braking.
This did not happen before the update so I am a little concerned. I hope the car "tunes" itself and stops this nonsense;)
Each time the stopped car was more than 100 feet ahead and I would wait for the car to sense the stopped vehicle. Once the car stopped but way too late, the other 2 times I took over not wanting to wait till I was 18 feet away. So in these early stages it appears my AP has gotten worse.

You should quickly report this to Tesla, this is something I think they will listen to.

My update was two days ago. The car indicated that the update was "successful". I watched the short video on Evannex regarding the changes but I have yet to see any of them on my car. Slacker looks and operates the same, Icons at the top of the screen have not changed and the voice recognition display in the same also.

Is it possible that the update was not really downloaded? Maybe as a late 2013 build these updates don't apply. Anyone else experience this situation?
There was a stop to the rollout and I had to update a second time. Maybe yours got caught in between

• Informative
Reactions: newtman

It's probably just the security update and not 8.0. Press the "T" on the top middle of the large screen to get the firmware version.

I read the entire thread but didn't notice any comment regarding exactly how the AP lockout functions. Can you receive first and second warnings (in succession) indefinitely and effectively reset the lockout sequence? Do you have to ignore three successive nags in a row before shutdown? Details, please. And apologies if this was covered somewhere.

I read the entire thread but didn't notice any comment regarding exactly how the AP lockout functions. Can you receive first and second warnings (in succession) indefinitely and effectively reset the lockout sequence? Do you have to ignore three successive nags in a row before shutdown? Details, please. And apologies if this was covered somewhere.
I just saw this video posted else where and it might help answer some of your questions.

@Mickie Take a look at this post. It appears that you get a strike every time it you get a audible warning. And cancelling and starting AP again doesn't reset the count. So you can get locked out in one nag "session" if you in this order:
  • Ignore the visual warning box/message at the bottom of the IC
  • ignore the flashing border on the IC (which speeds up)
  • ignore the first level double beep
  • ignore the second level double double beep
  • ignore the third level triple double beep
  • bam you are locked out until you stop and put it in park
So yes it appears that you can get both the first and second warnings as many times as you want, but you only get two audible warnings an hour. (You get locked out on the third audible warning.)

I just saw this video posted else where and it might help answer some of your questions.
Wouldn't you think that using auto-lane-change would reset the nag timer? I mean, how much more "engaged" with driving can you be?
I think his using that messes up this experiment.
He also doesn't answer the question of if you respond to the second nag (the double beep-beep) does that entirely reset the
Countdown to AP Doom or will the very next nag be the "third" one that will shut it down? Similarly, can you repeatedly push it to
the first beep-beep nag as long as you react before the double beep-beep?

That's a really interesting point. If that is, in fact, a variable then it could explain all of the perceived differences in hands-on-wheel
detection sensitivity. It would be helpful if people would report their steering settings and, on a 0-10 scale, how close to "sufficiently"
sensitive they find hands-on-wheel detection to be. I'll start: "sport" setting, 7 (I don't have 8.0 yet).
I did some not-super-scientific testing of this today. It was my subjective impression that nag "false positives" were less frequent
in Standard steering mode than in my usual Sport setting. I'll continue to explore this -- and I encourage others to do the same.
If this turns out to be real it seems like something Tesla can and should fix.

Reactions: u00mem9
I did some not-super-scientific testing of this today. It was my subjective impression that nag "false positives" were less frequent
in Standard steering mode than in my usual Sport setting. I'll continue to explore this -- and I encourage others to do the same.
That was my conclusion as well albeit subjective and not scientific.

He also doesn't answer the question of if you respond to the second nag (the double beep-beep) does that entirely reset the Countdown to AP Doom or will the very next nag be the "third" one that will shut it down? Similarly, can you repeatedly push it to the first beep-beep nag as long as you react before the double beep-beep?

@RogerHScott That question has been answered. Take a look at this post. If you get three beep-beeps in an hour you strike out and AP is done until you park. And cancelling and starting AP again after a beep-beep doesn't reset the strike counter. So you strike out on the third audible warning in a hour.

What we don't know is that a rolling hour, or a clock hour. (i.e. If you have one strike at 1:59, and then two more strikes at 2:01 and 2:45 do you strike out, or do you get one more beep-beep?)

huh, had not thought of that. I may give it a try. I only use sport setting on the mountain roads so, not too often

I'm on the side of those arguing timer-based hands-on shouldn't be enforced, but I can see why Tesla did it. This issue is not only legal, but also in terms of PR (Tesla had been hammered lately about this) and government policy (preempts the government pushing some new requirements). This would not be an issue if there were only one or two incidences or if every incident the driver was willing to take complete responsibility, but there have been many incidences lately (too many) where the driver blames Autopilot.

I'm guessing Tesla also looked at statistics and determined that there is only a narrow set of users that use the system completely hands off and this change would not really present a loss of functionality to most users. From the videos shown, it doesn't appear to be as strict as the Electrek article suggests (more like ~3 minutes even at speeds over 45mph, than the 1 minute at 45+mph as in the article). Hopefully, this will be continually tweaked to find an optimal point (the speed based parameter is obviously designed to do this).

So one needs react to the visual, not audible nags. Pardon my ignorance, but isn't it way more dangerous to constantly looking into the dashboard than onto the road? Wouldn't it be a lot safer when the nag one needs to react to in order to avoid AP shut off, would be audible, so the driver doesn't have to take his eyes off the road?
I'm still flabbergasted that Model S do not come with a heads up system. Once you used it, you don't want to go back to dash only...

One more question: With 8.0 can the driver rest his hands on his legs and pull the steering wheel just a bit with one hand to stop the AP warning ( the first one, visual)?

I'm considering sticking with 7.1 until the dust settles on 8.0. As far as I can see, most of the updates are to reduce Tesla's liability.

That's a peculiar way to look at the addition of safety features.

I like knowing the car will now look for more opportunities to lessen impact in a crash, that the car will maintain a non lethal temperature, also will not turn off the AC when I get out of the car and my wife is in the passenger seat with my infant son in the back, and won't allow people to use autopilot without paying attention to their surroundings.

It amazes me that instead of celebrating the fact that our cars get significantly safety and feature updates free of charge years after purchase, people make posts like yours. Stay on 7.1, or even just sell your tesla and get and ICE car where you will never have to worry about anything being upgraded.

That's a peculiar way to look at the addition of safety features.

I like knowing the car will now look for more opportunities to lessen impact in a crash, that the car will maintain a non lethal temperature, also will not turn off the AC when I get out of the car and my wife is in the passenger seat with my infant son in the back, and won't allow people to use autopilot without paying attention to their surroundings.

It amazes me that instead of celebrating the fact that our cars get significantly safety and feature updates free of charge years after purchase, people make posts like yours. Stay on 7.1, or even just sell your tesla and get and ICE car where you will never have to worry about anything being upgraded.
Don't sweat it. For every 100 of us there are a couple like @u00mem9 and greene1. Probably less than 1 or 2% just got the wrong car.

Reactions: scottf200