Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

7.1 AutoPilot Nag

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You realize they presented it as 100% hands free driving from onramp to offramp right? In fact I seem to remember Elon specifically stating that needing to place your hands on the wheel at all would completely defeat the purpose.
You realize they presented it as being able to navigate to your front door by itself on private property to pick you up right?
You realize they presented it as being able to automatically adjust to speed limits without user input right?

Which of those is "just as it was presented" in the current release?
All presented in terms of future operations not current operations. Clearly they say to keep your hands on the wheel and YOU agreed to it by clicking the button. If your car crashes only blame yourself. Hope you don't hurt others but only your car. Most of your post are hyperboles and twist words to make them sound as facts.

All presented in terms of future operations not current operations. Clearly they say to keep your hands on the wheel and YOU agreed to it by clicking the button. If your car crashes only blame yourself. Hope you don't hurt others but only your car. Most of your post are hyperboles and twist words to make them sound as facts.
I don't think you've read my posts very thoroughly. I have been talking about two completely different things.
1) people need to follow the instructions as to how to use AP, as it is currently not a hands free driving aid.
2) Tesla claimed at the reveal that it would do more than it currently does, and people have every right to be upset that it doesn't. You claiming that it was never presented as being hands free is quite the revisionist history, and "coming in the next few months" doesn't give them a pass on not having it available a year and a half later

1.5) I have every right to stay on version 7.0 and continue to experience the best version available to the public, and nobody has any right to force me to accept the added restrictions in 7.1. I am fully capable of being responsible and using it properly, I don't need the car nagging me more (though the main reason not to go to 7.1 isn't the nag (as my hands are in fact on the wheel, even when the car doesn't think so because the road is straight and I don't need to apply torque), it's the restrictions on "undivided" roads when the nav is so hopeless that it doesn't have a clue what roads are divided or not, nor what the speed limit is)

1.5) I have every right to stay on version 7.0 and continue to experience the best version available to the public, and nobody has any right to force me to accept the added restrictions in 7.1. I am fully capable of being responsible and using it properly, I don't need the car nagging me more (though the main reason not to go to 7.1 isn't the nag (as my hands are in fact on the wheel, even when the car doesn't think so because the road is straight and I don't need to apply torque), it's the restrictions on "undivided" roads when the nav is so hopeless that it doesn't have a clue what roads are divided or not)

Well, if v7.1 (2.12.22) didn't include the stupid restrictions, I'd say based on the little bit of driving I did today that it is the best version available. The restrictions would kind of kill that, though.

At least he's consistent. He's not a Tesla Fan Boy, as others here might be. I am one, myself, and I don't have trouble with AP, and it doesn't nag me. My hands rest on my knees, hands just touching the wheel. I have latest 7.1. Let's start a conspiracy theory that the complainers get modified software!! :biggrin:

I said this before (hope someone from Tesla reads this).

Could the software just introduce the vibration signaling it's time to touch the steering wheel instead of muting the audio system? This will wake up the "nappers" and be less intrusive than ruining the driver and passenger listening experience.

The nagging message on the screen will be missed by anybody who is doing what the driver supposed to do: "looking at the road ahead"

And, please decrease the frequency of the nags

You realize they presented it as 100% hands free driving from onramp to offramp right? In fact I seem to remember Elon specifically stating that needing to place your hands on the wheel at all would completely defeat the purpose.
You realize they presented it as being able to navigate to your front door by itself on private property to pick you up right?
You realize they presented it as being able to automatically adjust to speed limits without user input right?

All presented in terms of future operations not current operations.

I'm sorry, scottf200, but that is simply not true.

Go back and watch Elon Musk's presentation at the D launch. Every word he says makes it sound like the car will launch with the capabilities he is discussing. His entire presentation is in the present tense. (It was only later that we learned that some of the autopilot features would be rolled out over a few months.)

You realize that the software feature is in beta?
You realize that even at its current version, it is still the best on the market?
You realize that magic doesn't happen overnight?

These were shown as possibilities of what can be done with the current hardware and software setup. Doesn't mean that it should be done, or is ideal. There exists many, many, many variables that may prevent such things from happening, including but not limited to:

Widely varying road conditions/road marking conditions, construction, inclement weather, etc preventing such systems to accurately identify and read the road and react appropriately.

"Stupid" humans, meaning that even in a world with the majority of cars being autonomous, human nature can be a variable that's hard to predict, so computers have to account for that, and in some cases, may not be able to.

Other vendors that make up the parts of the Autopilot hardware and software suite (meaning that if there's a part discrepancy, or badly designed part, or if there's an software incompatibility, Tesla can only do so much before having to research, develop, tool, create, test, test, test, implement, beta test, refine, and release something on their own.

There's a fine line between science fiction and reality. Are you one of those people who believe that a car can drive across country autonomously on its own without human oversight or intervention, at the present time? Elon stated within two years, a car would be able to be summoned from across the country. I believe yes, that would be awesome, but I'm also realistic, and realize that being optimistic gets people closer to their own goals.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm sorry, scottf200, but that is simply not true.

Go back and watch Elon Musk's presentation at the D launch. Every word he says makes it sound like the car will launch with the capabilities he is discussing. His entire presentation is in the present tense. (It was only later that we learned that some of the autopilot features would be rolled out over a few months.)

**** happens, timelines change. Maybe there was an issue or bug that manifested and they decided to delay the launch over a few months to fix the issue. Or maybe there were laws and regulations standing in the way (as there are currently in varying degrees of aggression).

We all want for the day when we don't have to touch the wheel at all, or when we don't even need to be in the car. It takes time however. You still have one of the best, smartest, safest, coolest looking cars on the road today.

IMHO, AP feels so safe and comfortable to me only because it has a nag. It is a reminder that I am still in control. Without the nag i am guessing I would be zoned out and go into a false sense of security. There are sections under construction, that I take control and drive, and without the nag i am guessing I might just forget to take control in those areas which will be a disaster.

To me it nags much less frequently on straight stretches and more on curves and around lane drops. Exactly what I would expect it to do.

Thanks to Tesla for providing the nag that made it even more awesome and trust worthy.

The timed nag is a pain in the ass. An "I'm not sure what I'm doing" nag was ok. I don't think drive pilot by mb is nag free. But they may have some other inputs to know if your alert like internal cameras. The new steering wheel they have for 2017 mb has some touch pad on it I believe as well.