Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

7.1 in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, we have two vdu's already!

- - - Updated - - -

Another good reason to get rid of the states and institute a system like Canada, with provinces, or similarly, South Africa.

Canadian provinces have way more variance in laws between each other than Australian states do. For example, they have both federal and provincial corporations laws and registration, they have different public health care systems in each province and if you move province you need to serve waiting periods before you can enrol in your new province's health care program. It is illegal to even transport a bottle of wine across a provincial boundary.

- - - Updated - - -

So just one gigantic Nanny State instead of 1 big one and 6 smaller ones? One big bag of good or bad. Hmm I don’t entirely disagree but don’t entirely agree either :)

I'd rather the states have to compete with each other. More competition amongst governments should encourage better and more responsive governance.

No state politicians or elections has to be a major plus!! Just provincial administrations, and uniform laws and regulations country wide! Plus huge economies of scale. Imagine one authority negotiating with say a bandage supplier or a penicillin supplier. Given the potential contract size, prices would come crashing down. They certainly did in South Africa, where I was brought up.

- - - Updated - - -

All that's well and good BUT

I still can't see any legal reason why Summon is not instituted in Australia...

I hope it will be but I won't hold my breath...
they are working on it. So my sources tell me.

- - - Updated - - -

I guess I was working on the South African provincial system from the 1970's. One country wide police force, no extraditions between provinces. The list of advantages goes on...

Another good reason to get rid of the states and institute a system like Canada, with provinces, or similarly, South Africa.
Your view of the Canadian regulatory structure may be more fantasy than reality.
Every province in Canada has it's own laws for road use, just like your states, and they are certainly not all the same. (many other things vary province to province too, from health care to corporate and labour laws, to education, and on, and on. If you are certified to practice a trade in one province, there is no guarantee you're legally allowed to do the same thing in your neighbouring province for example)

No state politicians or elections has to be a major plus!! Just provincial administrations, and uniform laws and regulations country wide! Plus huge economies of scale. Imagine one authority negotiating with say a bandage supplier or a penicillin supplier. Given the potential contract size, prices would come crashing down. They certainly did in South Africa, where I was brought up.

- - - Updated - - -

they are working on it. So my sources tell me.

- - - Updated - - -

I guess I was working on the South African provincial system from the 1970's. One country wide police force, no extraditions between provinces. The list of advantages goes on...

Oh Dborn, the ever so hopeful Homelink guy... Here are my pessimistic reasons for saying that this will never come to Australia:

1. Homelink was in the US version of the Prius that I bought in 1995 and it STILL hasn't found its way down under...

2. No Tesla insider is ever really going to give you a flat out NO when you ask for something like Homelink in Australia. Much easier to just say they are working on it... Translation... They are doing absolutely nothing.

3. Homelink is an obsolete technology anyway. As I understand it, it is just an RF signal repeater. But these days, all smart things are wifi compatible. So too will be the garage door and capable of being activated by any phone app and Tesla app. Homelink is on the way out... Like the clumpy Telecom house Telephone. The Internet/Home network will trigger the garage door...not RF...

4. As no Aussie car has Homelink... There is no commercial reason for any particular car company, Tesla Motors included, to bust their gut getting it out there. Aussies will not buy another car for lack of Homelink in the Tesla because there is no other car. It's healthy competition that will drive this kind of capitalism.... I'm afraid whinging Aussies are not enough.

5. I'm sure I can come up with other reasons but you know...

Now the above may be complete BS of course, BUT surely compelling enough to not hold your breath. Happy breathing.

In that case, it's the person doing the velcroing who's an ass, not the law. I have worked in this area (managing a roll-out of laptops in service vehicles), and the authorities are quite happy for a Web browser to be installed as long as there is an interlock to prevent it being used when the car is in motion. This seems entirely reasonable to me.

Given that the Model S is mainly controlled by software, implementing such an interlock would be straightforward, but Tesla won't do it. So I blame Tesla, not the law.

I suspect that Tesla won't let us use a browser as they are trying to avoid heavy data fees being charged by Telstra, which to all intents and purposes has a monopoly (because it is the only network with anything approaching nationwide coverage). This was an issue that confronted me when I was managing my mobile computing project.
Maybe tesla have more important things to work on....like autopilot enhancements. I'm sure their resources are limited.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh Dborn, the ever so hopeful Homelink guy... Here are my pessimistic reasons for saying that this will never come to Australia:

1. Homelink was in the US version of the Prius that I bought in 1995 and it STILL hasn't found its way down under...

2. No Tesla insider is ever really going to give you a flat out NO when you ask for something like Homelink in Australia. Much easier to just say they are working on it... Translation... They are doing absolutely nothing.

3. Homelink is an obsolete technology anyway. As I understand it, it is just an RF signal repeater. But these days, all smart things are wifi compatible. So too will be the garage door and capable of being activated by any phone app and Tesla app. Homelink is on the way out... Like the clumpy Telecom house Telephone. The Internet/Home network will trigger the garage door...not RF...

4. As no Aussie car has Homelink... There is no commercial reason for any particular car company, Tesla Motors included, to bust their gut getting it out there. Aussies will not buy another car for lack of Homelink in the Tesla because there is no other car. It's healthy competition that will drive this kind of capitalism.... I'm afraid whinging Aussies are not enough.

5. I'm sure I can come up with other reasons but you know...

Now the above may be complete BS of course, BUT surely compelling enough to not hold your breath. Happy breathing.

I agree homelink is obsolete. There are some very simple and cost effective internet based (with app) for garage door opening now. Indeed I'm somewhat surprised that a company as forward thinking as tesla is still mucking around with an RF system.

Yes, I too find auto steer hunting. It also likes to steer into the side of the road. So, at present, I am happier with the previous version. Maybe as you say, it will settle down. This coming Sunday will be a good test when traveling to our meetup.

- - - Updated - - -

I do have a z wave garage door opener installed as well. It is a pain to use. First my phone has to find a wifi signal. Then I have to open the app. Then the app needs to connect, and finally, I might actually be able to open the door. All too hard and I now use rf for routine opening, and z wave as a backup. There is a z wave remote control, but I was unable to program it. Totally non intuitive and just a PITA. And I don't mean a flatbread.

Hey, it does not have to be the Homelink brand. All I want is an integrated garage door opening solution.

Re the web browser. A number of us have been suggesting to Tesla since before the launch that there should be an interconnect with the vehicle being in park. Many other manufacturers allow TV to be displayed in front displays only when in park so would be no different. As others have noted it should be really easy to implement a lockout in software unless car is in park.

The realist in me suggests that the data usage/cost argument is probably the defining factor?

All that's well and good BUT

I still can't see any legal reason why Summon is not instituted in Australia...

I hope it will be but I won't hold my breath...

As I posted earlier, the latest information is that it is because external operation of a vehicle is prohibited by the Australian Design Rules (ADRs). Although I have not been able to find the applicable provision. I'd certainly like to see it.

I have HomeLink on my Range Rover, wont work and have been feed the same line from Land Rover about this...

-ECIT

I have had exactly the same experience with my Range Rover.

- - - Updated - - -

you have a vehicle equipped with Homelink? You have paid for it, it was an option in the specs I read, so, you SHOULD be on range rovers tail, telling to make it work!

Tried that and got nowhere fast. In the end it was a $150 option and it wasn't that important to me anyway for various site specific reasons so I didn't bother pushing them harder.

I have had exactly the same experience with my Range Rover.

- - - Updated - - -

Tried that and got nowhere fast. In the end it was a $150 option and it wasn't that important to me anyway for various site specific reasons so I didn't bother pushing them harder.

I wonder what frequency your Land Rover is putting out. European frequencies are right up well above 433.92. That may be the reason you cannot get it to work. The question for Range Rover should be what frequency is the system using? I believe Europe is in the 900's

Again regarding Homelink, adapters are available at relatively low cost and plug and play installation to convert the receiver in our doors to receive the USA frequencies if necessary. Overall, there is no excuse for it not being in our cars, and we did not get a price rebate for its absence compared to the USA price. Same with the browser. The Gentex Corp which makes the Homelink is the obstacle, but I am sure a manufacturer can pressure them to allow it.

Have yet to test it but looks like we have finally got Launch Mode with this upgrade (Dual 85 + 90 only)

20160114_073218[1].jpg

Last edited: