Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

7.1 in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Homelink. I see that the frequencies used in the USA are 315 MHz, 433.92 MHz .
Now, i had to replace my receiver about 2 months ago, and i see that the frequency used is 433.92. So..... there is NO compatibility issue with the USA. Effectively, they can just activate it over the air with NO programming required!!!!

What Tesla told me is that the hardware is not installed in our cars, and if that's the case it's end of story.

Re home link it appears to be a common question across many car brands on Internet forums as to why it is available in the US or elsewhere but is either not available to option for Australia or if the car has it can't get it to work or works very poorly compared to a standalone button.

Reading over this whole thread the common theme is lack of communication by Tesla. Update issue for some models - broadcast update email to those owners too hard ? What's with Homelink - why such a mystery -- what's so wrong with sharing some truth ? Summon feature - again, why are we left to speculate and scan media articles and archives. Tesla is a strange organisation, they gain loyalty from a unique and impressive products, but seem to squander trust with very poor external communications. The latter is not as costly to facilitate. For my own company I have people scanning forums like this and social media to proactively respond to concerns and down trending sentiment. I half suspect Tesla don't read this forum, but if they do I'll await a response to my observation. Challenge set !

Reading over this whole thread the common theme is lack of communication by Tesla. Update issue for some models - broadcast update email to those owners too hard ? What's with Homelink - why such a mystery -- what's so wrong with sharing some truth ? Summon feature - again, why are we left to speculate and scan media articles and archives. Tesla is a strange organisation, they gain loyalty from a unique and impressive products, but seem to squander trust with very poor external communications. The latter is not as costly to facilitate. For my own company I have people scanning forums like this and social media to proactively respond to concerns and down trending sentiment. I half suspect Tesla don't read this forum, but if they do I'll await a response to my observation. Challenge set !

Very well said math2999... for me and my Tesla experience to date, this is the ONLY missing ingredient.

Mum's P85D just updated to 7.1, waiting for mine now. Haven't had the chance the check it out yet. But it looks like the roll out is really picking up.

Also I completely agree with everyone on Tesla's lack of communication. How hard is it to just give us Summon, Homelink and a WEB BROWSER?

They DO read this forum. I have been responded to directly after a post here.
I just wish they would stop the 'hide it' mentality; who do they think they are... Apple?

Words from Nathan's mouth this morning:

• There is a legal issue with Summon in Australia...just like BMW (7 Series) and S Class Merc has (government and insurance, don't forget insurance companies work differently in different countries). When the government changes the rules we'll get summon's
  • Our government will not let has have a web browser in the car, period. Unless Tesla change the way the web browsers works (stops working when the car is driving, like the TV's in BMW''s/Merc's) then we'll not get the browser functionality...I know it's stupid but it is our government being stupid
  • Homelink, it uses a frequency that is not allowed in Australia due to frequency license regulations. Homelink is not Tesla's technology, it is the propriety technology that Tesla can't just up and change (frequency wise)....unfortunately for us. It would be good if we could 'program' our remotes with the cars system though of course, not sure if that is able to be done with our current cars. I think, correct me if I'm wrong, however one of the advantages of Homelink is it is a two way system rather than just a blast out "open/close"....therefore the cars get the added knowledge that the garage has indeed opened all the way therefore not just completely relying on the reverse sensors....imagine the Model X backing out relying only on the reverse sensors but for some reason the garage door opened only far enough to clear the sensor detection but not the enough to clear the roof....bang...who's fault will that now be? Homelink is more than just a simple blast open/close

Not sure why you guys all complain so much. A lot of the above is common knowledge, or easily Googled and indeed has been posted a number of times on this very thread.

Want to do something about lack of web browser or the summon feature (better luck on the later I would assume)? Lobby your local government, send in letters etc. I have, have you?

Not meaning to be disrespectful to anyone, but as far are car manufactures go Tesla is one of the best around...BMW don't give a toss and Merc is nice to your face but never really does/says anything....you gotta go buy a Lambo, Bentley etc. to better Tesla's customer service and then it's only marginal....a quick chat to your local SC Manager and you'll find the answer you're looking for easy enough.

-ECIT

Last edited:
ECIT. the frequency issue is simply not correct. My current, new garage door receiver operates on 433.92Mhz. Same as in the USA. The USA uses other frequencies as well, but the above common Oz frequency is included. I have forwarded that fact to Tesla service manager in Sydney, today. Homelink can operate on that frequency, - I checked their website.
Also, the Range Rover Evoque sold here has this as an option. You really have to trawl through their website to find it, but it is there. I sent a copy of that as ammunition through to Kasey Krape in Fremont at the beginning of this saga. Bear in mind, she was the senior company rep at the Australian launch in December 2014.