Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

75 and 75D variants increased performance from July 1st - software and hardware improvements?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How could it be in Birmingham, AL? There isn't a Tesla service or sales center in Alabama.

The internal code for its location is: NA-US-AL-Birmingham-Alabama Auto-HUB -- obviously an internal storage or service center for Tesla.

So as I've mentioned before, the "location" for any of these cars isn't so meaningful (i.e. not to be relied heavily on).

It required a hardware change for sure.
It did not require a hardware change. I ran into a confidant at Telsa and mentioned the hardware requirement while he was drinking a soda and he laughed so hard he spat it out all over the floor. I said "well maybe a fuse? or maybe the firmware is considered hardware?" And he said "Yeah, maybe". It was more the way he said it. Look at the data here.

It did not require a hardware change. I ran into a confidant at Telsa and mentioned the hardware requirement while he was drinking a soda and he laughed so hard he spat it out all over the floor. I said "well maybe a fuse? or maybe the firmware is considered hardware?" And he said "Yeah, maybe". It was more the way he said it. Look at the data here.

The people I spoke with at Tesla related the same thing. It's just a flip of a switch by the mothership.

I'm in the market for a 75D and test drove a pre-6/17 built car and I can tell you it doesn't feel silly quick like the 100D. I'm looking for an inventory car and my OA found out that they changed the motors in the 75D at the end of June. Anything after July should be a software update, but the cars built before that do not have the required hardware.

That's what I've been told.

• Informative
Reactions: Bebop
...but the cars built before that do not have the required hardware...
But when they tell you that, you are thinking that higher performance isn't possible on the old drive units - which is misleading and not what is true. Lots of old drive unit cars have been upgraded, and frankly those drive units were already in S90D and S100D so we know they were already capable of higher performance. What Tesla means in the statement is that there is some other "hardware" required, which may actually be firmware. Or a fuse. It isn't a battery, because the batteries haven't changed in the US.

The cars have always been capable of being unlocked for amazing performance. But Tesla has to differentiate the performance between models in order for you to have a reasonably priced 75. Also, cars unlocked for higher performance wear out faster and the buyers of those high performance cars pay for that liability. There is no engineering conspiracy here. The problem is in the lack of transparency around what cars are getting unlocked and why.

Anyone know how I can resolve the connectivity issue with the powertools app? I'd like to find out what my car has and share with the group. It's still can't connect. It can see my vin number just find. When I hit start, I always get the error. I've tried moving to a better reception area for both my phone and car still nothing.

I'm in the market for a 75D and test drove a pre-6/17 built car and I can tell you it doesn't feel silly quick like the 100D. I'm looking for an inventory car and my OA found out that they changed the motors in the 75D at the end of June. Anything after July should be a software update, but the cars built before that do not have the required hardware.

That's what I've been told.

My guess then it's possible with the new hardware for the newer 75Ds to be able to go faster than 4.2.

My guess then it's possible with the new hardware for the newer 75Ds to be able to go faster than 4.2.
'
It is battery limited at some point. Someone here should be able to do the math. Certainly the BTX8 batteries would do 3.3 in the 75, but we may never see that enabled.

I assume this upgrade does not affect/improve the old 85kWh RWD models? =\
They aren't uncorking 85s like this. And aren't the 85s way closer to their performance limits? I suspect that the reason Tesla gets to uncork so many of the 75s, especially the older ones, is because of what they learned on the 85s, just like some future thread called "Model S 135D variants increased performance from July 2022" will benefit from what Tesla learns here. Although what Tesla really should learn here is that they can't change the numbers in advance of upcoming performance announcements - they have to make the announcement first. Institutional knowledge is surprisingly short. Less than sixty days in this case.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: mdevp and number12
To get this thread back on track...

It all comes down to this: is there any hard evidence that there are old hardware cars with new car performance.

So far the only evidence I've found in this thread is @rsan 's testing of his car, which may be user/app error. @rsan if you're a member of TOCA maybe I'll see you at the AGM in Sept at the Sydney shop? Would be great to compare our cars (mine's 75D too). You might take me for a spin :)

Other than that there have been CPO listings, which could just be a problem with the listings themselves. As an ex programmer and database admin I've seen it so many times, the backend data updated being referenced by older entries.

Please correct me if I'm wrong folks, you'd make me very happy if I am!
I am not a member of TOCA. I am interested to come to the AGM. What date is it?

Her is my most recent response from Tesla on the CPO's with the improved performance times:

Thank you very much for reaching out to inquire about the vehicles you have provided.

I have reviewed the ones listed – it appears the link for the third one is the only one still available. I cannot confirm the reason why these vehicles showed that feature – however I can assure you that this update was not in production for any vehicle in any location until the Summer of 2017. I am in contact with our Web Team to ensure that this error is corrected.

Thank you again for touching base and bringing this to our attention.

Her is my most recent response from Tesla on the CPO's with the improved performance times:

Thank you very much for reaching out to inquire about the vehicles you have provided.

I have reviewed the ones listed – it appears the link for the third one is the only one still available. I cannot confirm the reason why these vehicles showed that feature – however I can assure you that this update was not in production for any vehicle in any location until the Summer of 2017. I am in contact with our Web Team to ensure that this error is corrected.

Thank you again for touching base and bringing this to our attention.

I replied with @SucreTease VIN Model S 75D 5YJSA1E29HF188794 | Tesla and received the below:

I cannot give details regarding the vehicle you provided – however I would like to point out that this vehicle is listed as a 2017. It is possible that this vehicle has this feature.

As mentioned in my previous email – we are working with our Web Team to ensure all listed vehicles are properly marked.

'
They aren't uncorking 85s like this. And aren't the 85s way closer to their performance limits? I suspect that the reason Tesla gets to uncork so many of the 75s, especially the older ones, is because of what they learned on the 85s, just like some future thread called "Model S 135D variants increased performance from July 2022" will benefit from what Tesla learns here. Although what Tesla really should learn here is that they can't change the numbers in advance of upcoming performance announcements - they have to make the announcement first. Institutional knowledge is surprisingly short. Less than sixty days in this case.

The 85 RWD uses the same motor as the 75 RWD AFAIK. The 85 kWh pack is capable of putting out more power than a 75 kWh pack.

Thus, no I do not agree that the "85s are way closer to their performance limit."

Why doesn't someone get onto (is it Fred) at Electrek.co. He clearly has a direct line to Tesla, he could clear this up straight away. Me thinks we are about to get a big Model S update at the end of the quarter, new interior, high performance (inline with the CPO specs), some X features like auto present doors.

And by clearing this up, I mean the specs on the CPOs in Europe. They've been up for a long time now, for them to be a mistake.

I think the performance upgrade on pre July '17 cars has been cleared up many times, with service departments not able or willing to upgrade older 75Ds, but people aren't willing to accept it. While it would be a show of good faith the early adopters to upgrade older 75Ds to 4.3seconds, Tesla is also a business, and that would remove a substantial incentive for customers to upgrade if you gave it away for free.

Last edited:
Reactions: MIT_S60