Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

75 price cut and 60 upgrade follows!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This was a reactionary reply to someone suggesting to him that he should call out this new upgrade path.

This is not a second cycle of this news story that something even newer and more compelling than the 2K upgrade is forthcoming. He's talking about the news of today.
I think we may have assumed every decision of consequence is directly overseen by Elon. He seems to be unaware that the huge price cut was twelve hours old when he tweeted. Kind of refreshing to see his managers can actually act without his personal finger on the trigger.

I purchased the 75 upgrade this morning but have yet to receive it. I'm wondering if my wifi isn't strong enough? I parked in the driveway where the wifi signal is stronger but still no upgrade. Any suggestions? They took my money fast enough!

I had no wifi (in the middle of nowhere) and only one bar LTE. Upgrade came within 1 minute of my confirmation email and 2 minutes of payment. I'd call Tesla customer service if it doesn't come by morning.

I had no wifi (in the middle of nowhere) and only one bar LTE. Upgrade came within 1 minute of my confirmation email and 2 minutes of payment. I'd call Tesla customer service if it doesn't come by morning.
I just called them. They said with the massive amounts of people purchasing it, it may take until tomorrow. If I don't see it in the morning I will stop by the service center so they can push it manually.

Reactions: croman and MP3Mike
I thought the 60 had the physical battery of the 75, just software-limited. So if you charged your 60 to 100% rather than to 80% you'd be getting nearly the same range as a 75 charged at 80%. ?

pretty much. the extra charge of the full 75kwh battery is more useful for range-charges when you go on long roadtrips. Plus its better to not drop your battery to minimal charge. I think the sweet spot is between 30-80%.

I like what Tesla is doing except removing SAS from the 75. Personally I think people are gonna start going to CPO or New Inventory car's because Tesla is restricting the lower end model. But come on Tesla do NOT become like other manufacture's where you have to move up a trim in order to get more options. As far as the Body Colored Roof no longer being available I don't think that was a great Idea some people may not want a glass roof at all but that's just personal preference. But for the "Rolling Egg" Im glad Tesla got rid of the Helix Wheels they looked hideous..

Hoping to keep the car for at least 8 years. She is too financially knowledgeable to fall for that trick in my specific situation :).

Even at 8 years, I think it might be worth it. What do you think a 60MS will sell for in 8 years? What do you think a 75MS will sell for in 8 years? I calculate the difference at about $1750. The real cost to you would be $250 + $150 (tax) + $250 (interest on $2K over 8 years after taxes) = $650. And with how quickly technology is changing, there is a very real chance you won't keep this car 8 years.

The price cut on the MS 75 hurts all owners. But it hurts MS60 owners the least because of the upgrade option. Instead of losing $0K - $5K (depending on how long you own), MS60 will lose $0-$2K in equity if they upgrade.
Finally, keep in mind that you might not need the extra range now, but in 6-8 years, the 60kw battery is going to have less capacity.

At 8 years of ownership, the decision is tougher. But not much tougher.

They probably got rid of the body colored roof because not a lot of people were ordering it (which i can believe that glass roof is gorgeous).

I am so much happier with my body-
colored roof on my 2017 60. It's quiter and it provides better sun protection. My forehead got burned yesterday from a long road trip in our 2014 loaner that has a sunroof.

After January 16th, free super charging was discontinued. We purchased our new MS 60 a little over a month later. Oh well. We still have free 400 KWH (1000 miles per year) of free super charging, which we can use for a trip to Orlando or the Keys. Naturally, we still prefer unlimited SC.

Our loaner has the power lift gate. I thought I could live without it; not so. This will have to be an aftermarket add-on. I'm sad that it's now standard and I just missed it. But I would much rather have the complete roof without the sun scorching me on my road trips.

I'll wait for the $2000 to drop to $500 before upgrading to the 75 KWH. That will happen.