Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

8.0 Music Player Unusable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
  • I have over 700 albums, and scrolling from A to Z on the album view now only takes less than 2 mins for me. I have to do a lot of swipes, and it stutters, but as I said, it only takes a couple of minutes.
Not really seeing how this is an improvement. With 7.1 takes a few seconds because all I had to do was hit Y, or W, or whatever I wanted to get to. I'd go nuts if I had to multiple swipe down my 1000+ album list. That's why I'm sticking with 7.1 until they fix it or at the very least include USB results in the text search.

I have gone to 100% streaming; It's possible the USB drive will go the way of the dodo bird.
I take it that you live in an area where streaming actually works. Not everyone does. And some of us have assembled a library of music, over many years, that we actually enjoy listening to. How awful that we would like to be able to enjoy it instead of settling for streaming.

I have declined the 8.0 update for now because of these issues with playing music from USB (and because there's nothing of real value for me in 8.0). I know I'll eventually need to upgrade, either because Tesla insists or to get a feature that I want, but if that time comes before the media player is fixed, I'll just play music off my phone via Bluetooth. It would be kind of embarrassing to have to use a 5" screen beside the 17" screen, but that's what I did for a while when the Nav was so bad. Fingers crossed that it doesn't come to that.

Reactions: Gwgan
I have declined the 8.0 update for now because of these issues with playing music from USB (and because there's nothing of real value for me in 8.0). I know I'll eventually need to upgrade, either because Tesla insists or to get a feature that I want, but if that time comes before the media player is fixed, I'll just play music off my phone via Bluetooth. It would be kind of embarrassing to have to use a 5" screen beside the 17" screen, but that's what I did for a while when the Nav was so bad. Fingers crossed that it doesn't come to that.
FWIW, I'm testing my Nexus 7 with PowerAmp and an OTG cable for external USB storage this week....

... For people who are listening to MP3 or for those iPhone/iPod users, streaming, even on Slacker, is much better than playing on USB no matter what UI has. You can search for anything from tens of millions of songs by a simple voice command. Couldn't be any better than that. ...

Not correct if you are not listening to western music. And I think it may not be correct even if you are listening to western music that is a little too "obscure".

Also, as people mentioned before, what about when you are out of cellular range (especially on road trips)?

The only thing I would take issue with on your comments is that is takes you "minutes to scroll". I would argue that even just seconds engrossed in the touchscreen while operating a 5000lb electric death missile is ill-advisable. ...

I have over 700 albums, and scrolling from A to Z on the album view now only takes less than 2 mins for me. I have to do a lot of swipes, and it stutters, but as I said, it only takes a couple of minutes.
Not really seeing how this is an improvement. With 7.1 takes a few seconds because all I had to do was hit Y, or W, or whatever I wanted to get to. I'd go nuts if I had to multiple swipe down my 1000+ album list. That's why I'm sticking with 7.1 until they fix it or at the very least include USB results in the text search.

Oh, I am sorry, my post was a little misleading I suppose. The two minute scroll is only the first time the USB is loaded. Loading took about 5 mins for me, and then the first A to Z scroll took about two minutes. Subsequent scrolling for me has been as fast as it was in 7.1, although, not as smooth. It still stutters.

Of course, as I mentioned in the post, the alpha shortcuts are still much needed. Even with fast scroll, scrolling multiple times is a distraction while driving. But given that I can use the search box, I don't think I will be scrolling multiple pages when driving. Browsing by scrolling should only be done by the passenger as long as alpha shortcuts are missing. But at least browsing is not impossible like it was at first.

This one point by itself is not an improvement over 7.1, and I did not mean it that way. The point by itself is only an improvement over what we had at the first 8.0 release. In my post, I mentioned a bunch of points that together make the new 8.0 just about better than 7.1 for my use case. I also mentioned a few items that are still lacking for my use case.

Last edited:
So just to summarize, for my USB use case, in the latest 8.0, in comparison to 7.1,

I lost
  1. Alpha shortcuts.
  2. Play by Track order.
  3. Buttery smooth scrolling in album list view.
  4. Album Artist display as subtext in album list view.
And I gained
  • Search my USB library.
    This to some extent, mitigates loss #1 above. And now I can search for albums, titles, artists, so it is a big gain for me.
  • Embedded Album Art display.
    Since my library is almost entirely devoid of western music, Gracenotes (or whatever Tesla used before) always fetched garbage for me. Especially because I already had album art meticulously embedded in my entire library, this again is a big gain for me.
As discussed earlier, there is a workaround to mitigate loss #2. Overall, thus, the new 8.0 media player is just about better than that in 7.1 for me now.

I understand this may not be so for others, but I felt I must mention the above, given how much I have been complaining for the past few weeks.

FWIW: I don't yet have the new USB Search having just 2.38.19 installed in my MS, but IMHO while that will be a nice capability, I doubt I'll make big use of it as the driver. If I had a passenger with me much of the time (I don't), it could be a real boon. At least for me, it takes a substantial amount of time to use the keyboard method with search -- far longer to enter something and select it with my eyes off the road, than the old vertical alpha quick access method required. Yes, there is voice access, but I'm one of those individuals with an odd voice I guess that Tesla's Voice recognition does not understand correctly a majority of the time, whereas Siri is nearly flawless even from my Apple Watch.

There are at least three parallel threads going on with similar 8.0 Media Player USB discussions. For those that have not seen it, I point you to this long recent post of mine in the "Comprehensive USB Bug List" thread which contains my updated summary of what I have found IS supported with 2.38.19 as it relates to USB; a fairly tight list of the specific bugs that cause me most concern with USB -- most with a suggested workaround; and a summary of what I'm doing with dBpoweramp performing each of those workarounds for me to build my USB Stick. The result for me is a not-so-bad USB experience with 8.0, sans not being able to scroll long lists very accurately, having to turn Energy Savings OFF so my USB Stick is not rescanned nearly every time I get into my MS forcing me to listen to silence for the 4-6 minutes it takes to rescan my stick; and the 16 hours it takes my quad core Mac to convert 6100 tracks for playback in my Tesla. ;) In other words, yes, workarounds are possible, but wow, it takes some doing -- more than any Owner should have to due in any luxury vehicle today.

Reactions: supratachophobia
There are workarounds to some of the problems - but even if you can get the media player to play the media you want, the UI still requires more screen interactions for options typically done by (at least some) drivers, while the car is in motion.

Tesla's goal has been to build a great car - and overall, the car's physical design and hardware continue to be market leaders.

If only Tesla had a similar goal for their software...

This may date me, but... Over the last 40 years, many companies have gone through the (sometimes painful) realization that software was a critical part of their products & services, and that delivering high quality and high functionality software was critical for their businesses to continue to compete and be successful.

For a company with such strong ties to Silicon Valley, it continues to be surprising that Tesla hasn't yet reached that point. And now with AP 2.0 claims of full self driving - which is primarily software - Tesla can't afford to continue delivering software that misses expectations.

Reactions: AndreN and jgs
I have gone to 100% streaming; It's possible the USB drive will go the way of the dodo bird.
Yes, it's possible, as soon as

1. We have access to all our media (including, for example, things we've performed and recorded ourselves) through a cloud service supported by the Tesla media player, instead of the current offering which only gives us access to whatever they happen to have in their licensed collections.

2. We have wireless data coverage without any interruption anywhere we can drive our cars, including the back of beyond, mountains, subbasements, etc.

Until then, I'm betting on the dodo. Item two, in particular, seems a tall order.

Reactions: dgpcolorado
Yes, it's possible, as soon as

1. We have access to all our media (including, for example, things we've performed and recorded ourselves) through a cloud service supported by the Tesla media player, instead of the current offering which only gives us access to whatever they happen to have in their licensed collections.

2. We have wireless data coverage without any interruption anywhere we can drive our cars, including the back of beyond, mountains, subbasements, etc.

Until then, I'm betting on the dodo. Item two, in particular, seems a tall order.
3. The quality of streaming content matches the quality of my lossless compressed FLAC files

Reactions: royewest and jgs
3. The quality of streaming content matches the quality of my lossless compressed FLAC files

....and the access is as good as having it locally. Even when A&T 3g works in good coverage areas, which it only does for me half the time, my Verizon hotspot is available many more areas than AT&T and where I live, I spend nearly half my time in areas that AT&T doesn't even reach. But now with 8.0, we can't even hotspot off our phones anymore while the car is in motion. Yet another reason why I have to hold onto 7.1.

Reactions: supratachophobia
I don't know how you encode your FLAC files but mine are about 1000Kbps judging from the first 3 albums I looked at. So if you think your 128kbps, 160kbps or 320kbps equals 1000kbps more power to you.

Streaming Audio | TeslaTap

He wasn't saying that streaming equals the quality now. He was saying that streaming as a substitute for having a local high quality library won't be acceptable UNTIL streaming is as good as high bitrate FLAC.

Reactions: jgs