Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

8.0 Still no fix for cruise control resume.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This has been an ongoing gripe of mine for this and my previous 2 S's. This is the only car I have ever owned that you cannot resume the speed you were going prior to touching the brake (or in the case of the Tesla by moving the cruise stalk away from you to disengage cruise.)

The cruise control is tied in with the setting on the Speed Assist page, however there is noting on that page that would indicate the connection.

It is always a guess as to what speed the car will accelerate after disengaging the cruise and then reengaging by momentarily pulling the cruise stalk towards you.

For example: the Speed Assist is set for +12 (relative) and I am cruising at 40 in a 35mph zone (with sign). I either touch the brake or push the stalk away from me but when I reengage the cruise control by pulling the stalk towards me the car will accelerate to 47 mph (35 + 12).

Attachments

• IMG_7712.png
    IMG_7712.png
    3.9 MB · Views: 68
EDIT: Everything I've said is a lie. Tried it on the drive home (7.1 car is currently updating to 8)

I am going off memory here since I don't use TACC all that much and when I engage AP most times it's for whatever speed I'm going at (MD... the flow is often somewhat divorced from the posted limit even with relative).

Are you absolutely certain you are not reengaging with too long of a pull? If I recall, a long pull on the stalk reengages to the preset and a short pull reengages to what it was last set to.

Or maybe it's the inverse. Point being I don't feel like I've encountered the specific issue you describe. Heading out now though so I will try to remember to play with this...

Last edited:
This has been an ongoing gripe of mine for this and my previous 2 S's. This is the only car I have ever owned that you cannot resume the speed you were going prior to touching the brake (or in the case of the Tesla by moving the cruise stalk away from you to disengage cruise.)

The cruise control is tied in with the setting on the Speed Assist page, however there is noting on that page that would indicate the connection.

It is always a guess as to what speed the car will accelerate after disengaging the cruise and then reengaging by momentarily pulling the cruise stalk towards you.

For example: the Speed Assist is set for +12 (relative) and I am cruising at 40 in a 35mph zone (with sign). I either touch the brake or push the stalk away from me but when I reengage the cruise control by pulling the stalk towards me the car will accelerate to 47 mph (35 + 12).
Pushing the cruise control stalk up or down will resume at the previously set speed.

The problem isn't with the car, it's with you not reading the manual.

• Disagree
Reactions: Zybd1201
EDIT: Everything I've said is a lie. Tried it on the drive home (7.1 car is currently updating to 8)

I am going off memory here since I don't use TACC all that much and when I engage AP most times it's for whatever speed I'm going at (MD... the flow is often somewhat divorced from the posted limit even with relative).

Are you absolutely certain you are not reengaging with too long of a pull? If I recall, a long pull on the stalk reengages to the preset and a short pull reengages to what it was last set to.

Or maybe it's the inverse. Point being I don't feel like I've encountered the specific issue you describe. Heading out now though so I will try to remember to play with this...

So I tried it on the drive home and pretty much everything I did set the cruise control to my current speed. Short pull, long pull, small knock upwards, small knock downwards, large knock upwards, large knock downwards, pressing the button on the end of the stalk.

I could have sworn the TACC behaved like I described in the past but perhaps it was all a dream? :confused:

Of note, long pull and pressing the button on the end of the stalk do nothing, much like the goggles Rainier Wolfcastle was given.

I'll retry when I'm playing with 8.0 later.

i would like the ability to actualy set to X amount of speed above the speed limit and actually change when the speed limit changes .. as it stands now if your set it for 3 miles above and the speed limit is 60 then it will go 63 .. however when the speed limit changes to 55 it never changes to 58 it stays at 63

ps. why 3 miles you ask .. because most municipalities dont have a fine schedule for anything less than 5 mph

Reactions: Mattzilla
Bishop, I totally agree with you and at one time my S really did behave this way but lost this ability in one of the updates. When I asked Tesla about it, they said my car could not do that but they would put it on thr list of things to think about doing. I KNOW it did tjis because I remember showing it to my neighbor. When I went from a 45 zone to a 25 zone it automatically dropped the speed if I was in autopilot. It aslo increased from 25 to 45 in reversing the procedure. My X never did this. Hope they bring back this option, I found it very useful to avoid speed traps!

Pushing the cruise control stalk up or down will resume at the previously set speed.

Yep, that works great if you are going the speed at which the cruise was disengaged.
I'm saying that if once you reach 20mph and pull the stalk, it will not accelerate to the previously set speed but will accelerate to the speed limit the camera reads PLUS the speed offset set in the Speed Assist page. (and sometimes even higher)

I've tried quick pulls and slow pulls.

ps. why 3 miles you ask .. because most municipalities dont have a fine schedule for anything less than 5 mph

In our municipality the first violation step is 0-10 MPH over the limit. (Yes the range starts a 0 MPH over.)

But they claim that they normally don't cite someone for less than 10 over. (For example the photo radar cameras are set to catch 10+.)

Bishop, I totally agree with you and at one time my S really did behave this way but lost this ability in one of the updates. When I asked Tesla about it, they said my car could not do that but they would put it on thr list of things to think about doing. I KNOW it did tjis because I remember showing it to my neighbor. When I went from a 45 zone to a 25 zone it automatically dropped the speed if I was in autopilot. It aslo increased from 25 to 45 in reversing the procedure. My X never did this. Hope they bring back this option, I found it very useful to avoid speed traps!
I'm pretty sure it never officially did this; however, the new auto pilot restriction prior to 8.0 would not allow AP to work at more than 10km (5 mph?) over the speed limit if you are on an undivided road or one deemed not to be appropriate for AP. This has the effect that if the car "sees" a lower speed limit sign, it reduces your speed automatically. Likewise if it sees a higher speed limit it allows the speed to increase again. Thus this wasn't really intended as an automatic sped adjustment, just a safety feature. If you try it in an area that is deemed safe for AP this doesn't work.

I think the most surprising thing is that the TACC operation is being changed multiple times with updates. If they want to add options to change the behavior to the settings page, that seems fine, but to change the default between updates seems a bit dangerous. Humans are pretty adaptable, but when you learn to expect one response and the morning after an update, every driver is rolling down the freeway at 70+mph learning what bright ideas Tesla had last week...something could easily go wrong.

Reactions: Cyclone
In NC, in good weather you are good with the State Highway Patrol at 9mph over (except school and work zones). You can't get too comfortable though because the County Mounties and city police (particularly in rural areas off the interstates) pretty much stop who they want, speeding or not.

For anyone still interested in the OP, here's a short video of the cruise control anomaly.

• Informative
Reactions: kevinf311