Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

8.1 in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After a couple of weeks with the new update, a few observations:
-I can activate AP2 in the Sydney Harbour Tunnel (previously only useful if activated BEFORE entered, cf AP1 which was awesome)
-I can only activate it in the ED if travelling below 50ks, and it locks 50 as its top speed?! (If I activate pre-tunnel, cruises nicely at 80 throughout).
- AP2 continues to improve, able to navigate with more authority and stability- close to my recollection of AP1 at its best in a HW1 car, but not QUITE there. AP2 had a couple of bad days after first loading 17.17.17, zig-zagging a bit, but learned quickly and well. It can now negotiate the Anzac Parade exit safely, which AP1 never could.
-haven't needed AEB yet, hopefully won't ever....
O/T: used the St Leonard's SC tonight: new connectors and faster charging: 110kw! Wow! Super quick stuff. Now: please give us some SC on the New England Highway!!
Love this car.
Regards to all.

Last edited:
Well they say it's faster, but if it is, it's pretty subtle. But I have noticed that the range is significantly improved. It's funny because a bigger battery makes u think of a bigger green battery in the display. But it is the same size, and instead it just doesn't descrease as much. Hardly ever moves actually, and I find that amazing.

I love the new seats especially, much more comfy than the bulky next gen seats. But it's the new AP2 hardware which really intrigued me.

I s'pose... but u know, that probably means u have to click on the max battery option which takes a full 50 mins to warm up, and then u have to shuffle your feet to stick it in launch mode. Now all that is OK if u are racing a quarter mile on a race track n all... but for the most part, as far a city driving is concerned, it's just a nice fast car.

but for the most part, as far a city driving is concerned, it's just a nice fast car.
I agree with that.
Launch is not necessary for feeling nauseous when you just plant it, but you do get used to it. It's just your passengers that you have to watch (a supply of brown paper bags will help). No need to warm battery fully to launch. Just have it enabled. It's also quicker when you have a fuller battery than low.

It's usually less than a week, but wherever you are it starts off very slowly. Perhaps 1% of cars get it, then a week later 10%, then a week later 50% and so on.
They do a slow roll out it case there's a problem, it should show up before too many cars are affected.

I updated today, to 17.24.28.
Autopilot is much smoother keeping pace with traffic, pulling up as car in front stops at light, and taking off again.
Clearly smoother, I upgraded after driving 3 hours in Sydney, then drove another 3 hours after the upgrade so had a clear comparison during a day of bouncing around this congested town.
Steering seems pretty similar, certainly no worse, possibly a bit better.
I'm on AP1, glad to see function improvements still happening for the older hardware.

Last edited:
Reactions: ICUDoc
IMG_1022.JPG
Easter egg tray? Do tell!

Swipe down on About your Tesla and a tray of Easter eggs appears. Sketch pad, More Cowbell (whatever that is), Ludicrous Spaceballs, Mars & Submarine.

Reactions: Shock-On-T