Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

8.1 timing?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Electrek has a story confirming the release of 8.1. Says AP2 cars only so far.
Tesla releases 8.1 software update and improves Autopilot 2.0 features: Autosteer 80 mph and Summon

Last week, Elon Musk said that Tesla’s highly anticipated 8.1 update was coming March 28-29 and he delivered this time. We reviewed reports of the update 8.1 (17.11.3) being rolled out to Tesla owners with Autopilot 2.0 hardware.

The 8.1 software update was also supposed to bring some UI improvements, but so far the release notes focus on bringing the Autopilot 2.0 system to parity with the first generation. It increases the speed limit of the Autosteer feature to 80 mph (128 km/h) – up from 55 mph.

This timing was about being able to move AP2 collected $ to the revenue for Q1. AP1 updates do nothing for them there.

Good for AP2 owners if it works well...I'm guessing it still is only using the single camera?

Yes but they already likely booked the AP2 revenue when they started rolling it out. Anyways, regardless, Tesla has the cash its all in the accounting details. I think AP1 is right around the corner (though I wouldn't expect much substantive).

Yes, still single camera.

When will the autopilot display show more lanes than just the one that's directly in front of you? It doesn't make me feel safe using AP when it can only see cars on just one lane. Also, I would like to see different types of vehicles on my display like semis and motorcycles. Mobile Eye uses only one camera, and it can pickup multiple lanes and different types of cars, I just want parity on that.

When will the autopilot display show more lanes than just the one that's directly in front of you? It doesn't make me feel safe using AP when it can only see cars on just one lane. Also, I would like to see different types of vehicles on my display like semis and motorcycles. Mobile Eye uses only one camera, and it can pickup multiple lanes and different types of cars, I just want parity on that.

Its definitely not as good as what I experienced on AP1 (yet), but with 17.11.3 I'm now seeing multiple lanes when on a highway faster than ~30 mph. I'm not noticing any more cars in this update... but the lanes show up.

• Informative
Reactions: IdaX
According to other threads, AP2 HW now shows additional lanes in the 17.11.3 release although I don't think they mentioned vehicles in the lanes just yet.

Although I doubt that with this update we'll able to see stop signs and such, but I wonder if the camera will be able to read speed limit signs.

It isn't, at least its not showing that information. I passed a very clear speed limit sign today that was different than what the dash showed and it didn't update. It is possible of course they're shadow-reading it and learning based on that but I know it is at least not being actively shown to the user.

• Informative
Reactions: DiamondHands
So no new kernel, no new browser... What exactly what the point of 8.1??? Yeah I fully appreciate the AP2 parity issue, but that seems to be it...

Elon, please for the love of god stop writing checks you can't cash...

Jeff
Ya cause it is really upsetting Jeff. It just bothers him so much when you don't give him EVERYTHING WHEN HE WANTS IT. Jeff doesn't care that you're ahead of every other automaker. If you say this update will have 2 widgets and you give only 1 widget - Jeff is angry! Jeff doesn't know what to do! Yes, yes he does. He will complain on the internet. See Jeff feel better now.

Ya cause it is really upsetting Jeff. It just bothers him so much when you don't give him EVERYTHING WHEN HE WANTS IT. Jeff doesn't care that you're ahead of every other automaker. If you say this update will have 2 widgets and you give only 1 widget - Jeff is angry! Jeff doesn't know what to do! Yes, yes he does. He will complain on the internet. See Jeff feel better now.

Honestly , I could care less if they updated the car ever again. I'm totally happy with my Tesla on 8.0. HOWEVER, don't launch a tweet storm telling everyone how awesome the browser will be in 8.1, how awesome the UI will be in 8.1, how we'll be getting a kernel update and cowbells and then don't deliver one single feature you tweeted about.

Elon needs to be held accountable for crap he says.

I said it before, and I'll say it again. 100% of the programming and UI staff is focused on AP2 hardware. AP1 cars are done with updates. And that's fine with me. Just don't lie.

I have only seen that this build with the new AP2 is being called 8.1

Can anyone with the update check on their display that it does indeed say 8.1, or could it be that 8.1 is still not (fully) here but this is just a substantial incremental update for AP2 owners.
Also bit odd that Elon didnt twit about it.

I have only seen that this build with the new AP2 is being called 8.1

Can anyone with the update check on their display that it does indeed say 8.1, or could it be that 8.1 is still not (fully) here but this is just a substantial incremental update for AP2 owners.
Also bit odd that Elon didnt twit about it.

4-3mx05ke.jpg

According to the images on Electrek, it is definitely identifying itself as 8.1.

• Informative
Reactions: Matias
As far as I can tell, this is just another in the regular series of AP2 incremental point releases. They just changed to call it 8.1 in order to meet Elon's tweets.

There is nothing I can tell that justifies a change in version number over what was in the last few 8.0 releases

I want to see some real Nav and MP updates, maybe some UI differences etc. before justifying the .1

• Funny
Reactions: Matias and u00mem9
May be i have been ignorant about the headrest adjustment feature that is in 8.1. Was that ever available on AP1 cars? Was my headrest ever adjustable with pre-8.1 release? I don't have a clue - but will try with my AP1 car shortly. Look - perhaps there is something for AP1 cars then....