Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

8.1 timing?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
May be i have been ignorant about the headrest adjustment feature that is in 8.1. Was that ever available on AP1 cars? Was my headrest ever adjustable with pre-8.1 release? I don't have a clue - but will try with my AP1 car shortly. Look - perhaps there is something for AP1 cars then....
My understanding was that this 8.1 was for AP2 cars only. Is that inaccurate?

i read through the pictures of the new updates.

Our headrest are adjustable?

I thought that must be for Model Xs - they sure don't look adjustable in my Dec 2016 Model S!
Premium seats like those in the X are adjustable. They also started offering premium seats with adjustable headrests in the performance Model S last summer..and regular Model S in December. I missed out on the premium seats by a week since my car was built at the end of November and delivered in early December. I called in November when I heard they would be offered but my car was just entering production and it was too late to switch.

Honestly , I could care less if they updated the car ever again. I'm totally happy with my Tesla on 8.0. HOWEVER, don't launch a tweet storm telling everyone how awesome the browser will be in 8.1, how awesome the UI will be in 8.1, how we'll be getting a kernel update and cowbells and then don't deliver one single feature you tweeted about.

Elon needs to be held accountable for crap he says.

I said it before, and I'll say it again. 100% of the programming and UI staff is focused on AP2 hardware. AP1 cars are done with updates. And that's fine with me. Just don't lie.

Lololololol. Yes let's hold him accountable. Tesla Motors Club - People's Court Edition - is now in session.

As far as I can tell, this is just another in the regular series of AP2 incremental point releases. They just changed to call it 8.1 in order to meet Elon's tweets.

There is nothing I can tell that justifies a change in version number over what was in the last few 8.0 releases

I want to see some real Nav and MP updates, maybe some UI differences etc. before justifying the .1

Agreed - this good 8.0 update got a promotion, without a pay raise! It get's called 8.1 but when will the real 8.1 stand up?

I'm okay, AP1 works pretty well, and, like cytranic, I'd be all right if it never updates (like every other car I've ever had). But I will disagree and maintain my hope that AP1 and even Classic S's will see software improvements for years. It doesn't cost that much to have a few people babysit our cars and transfer what they can to us. Crumbs from the table, maybe, but I'll take them!

Reactions: DiamondHands
I don't know what's more pathetic... 1) The number of customers who willingly paid at least $5,000 for features that don't exist; 2) The number of customers who still believe Musk about anything; 3) Elon Musk for being utterly clueless about what is going on in his own company's software teams; or 4) Elon Musk for making false promises that he knows he cannot keep.

The bottom line: We will all end up disappointed. Again. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice...

I don't know what's more pathetic... 1) The number of customers who willingly paid at least $5,000 for features that don't exist; 2) The number of customers who still believe Musk about anything; 3) Elon Musk for being utterly clueless about what is going on in his own company's software teams; or 4) Elon Musk for making false promises that he knows he cannot keep.

The bottom line: We will all end up disappointed. Again. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice...

Slow down there. This update has MAJOR upgrades for AP2 owners like me. So I am not getting the outrage.

How about a subforum just for complaining about Musk and his time frames. Perhaps a group hug / good cry / communal wailing three times a day via video chat. You could record the sessions for those who can't make it live. Sell tickets even.

Take it easy...I know you are disappointed but who said there won't be any updates coming

Look at last 3 months, we have had updates once or twice a month. I got my BMW 5 years ago and did not get a single update to improve anything. I bet other missing features will come soon. If it takes another month or two, so be it.

As for Kernal update, who said it was not included? I saw some comments saying browser seems to run a lot faster

Look, all the missing features, except AEB, are nice to have. I know we will get them soon because Elon made a public statement about it. He has no choice but to deliver. But AS and TACC are critical because it is safety related. People are using it everyday. We have seen many youtube videos showing the issues with AS. They have to fix them first.

If I were Elon, I would have my team focus on AS and AEB first before anything else regardless how many compliant about it.

How about a subforum just for complaining about Musk and his time frames. Perhaps a group hug / good cry / communal wailing three times a day via video chat. You could record the sessions for those who can't make it live. Sell tickets even.
Ahhhhh..... the first "Elon, we still LOVE you!!!!! Keep thrilling us and doing terrific things...." post. Nice work, @calisnow !!!

I don't understand the complaining - the update notification just hit my phone, and I ran to the garage like a kid racing down the stairs Christmas morning. Huge grin right now! :D Can't wait for full speed autosteer! :)

I agree. As a new X100D owner as of last Sunday, I am super happy to get full speed autosteer. I am about todo a 1900 mile road trip and could really use it. Though, I can see why some are scratching their heads on this being called the 8.1 release. The updates, while huge for some of us, still seems incremental rather than major release. I know Tesla has been working double-time to put out as many cars as possible before quarter end. I suspect they pushed these features out to silence the grumbling from the masses that just got their cars. Smart move if so.

Though, what confuses me is the lack of auto-high/low beams and lack of auto-windshield wiper features. I have had these features in other cars for ages, and they cost 1/3 the price. The only thing that comes to mind is that perhaps they are using the same "main" camera for autosteer as they will for beams & wipers. If so, perhaps they want to get autosteer dialed-in before they add those other features (not wanting conflicts or whatnot).

I don't have the update available on my car yet, but I am hoping it shows up soon. Crossing fingers.

Reactions: jldf310