Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

90D features

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Picked up my 90D yesterday vin 49xx and DS informed me that my spoiler would not be active but all spoilers will retract when the vehicle is locked.
Well, on my drive home from the Tesla store, I noticed a very active spoiler making definitive adjustments at various speeds.
Not sure how much more active the P version buys you but this was a pleasant surprise to me.
I did not however get the free bio defense upgrade that some have reported on non premium package upgrades.

@Pjjava34, congrats on your car. Can you let us know if you received a bosal adapter for the tow hitch during delivery, and if you have an interest, if you can open the panel for it under the bumper and see what if any wire harness 4pin/7pin or none is included? thx.

Picked up my 90D yesterday vin 49xx and DS informed me that my spoiler would not be active but all spoilers will retract when the vehicle is locked.
Well, on my drive home from the Tesla store, I noticed a very active spoiler making definitive adjustments at various speeds.
Not sure how much more active the P version buys you but this was a pleasant surprise to me.
I did not however get the free bio defense upgrade that some have reported on non premium package upgrades.
Wooohooo! Congrats on the delivery!

There are only two settings that switch around 45 mph so you have an active spoiler.
Yup. What @aesculus said, you've got an active spoiler. I'm afraid I waited to long in my order and I will miss out in this little Tesla gift. Oh well.

Reactions: EV Family
Wooohooo! Congrats on the delivery!

Yup. What @aesculus said, you've got an active spoiler. I'm afraid I waited to long in my order and I will miss out in this little Tesla gift. Oh well.

Really? I thought that the consensus was that all the 90s (at least) will have a retractable spoiler, and that the one or two people who had posted about fixed spoilers actually had issues with the retraction, vs actually manufactured fixed spoilers.

Hmm. My X enters production at the end of the month (if there aren't any more delays), and I REALLY hope it is an active spoiler! I ordered a 90D (not P), and I have a peculiar dislike for the aesthetics of most raised spoilers. (They remind me of handles, and I have visions of Bam Bam from the Flintstones picking up the car by said handle and ... well, it isn't pretty.)

Really? I thought that the consensus was that all the 90s (at least) will have a retractable spoiler, and that the one or two people who had posted about fixed spoilers actually had issues with the retraction, vs actually manufactured fixed spoilers.

Hmm. My X enters production at the end of the month (if there aren't any more delays), and I REALLY hope it is an active spoiler! I ordered a 90D (not P), and I have a peculiar dislike for the aesthetics of most raised spoilers. (They remind me of handles, and I have visions of Bam Bam from the Flintstones picking up the car by said handle and ... well, it isn't pretty.)
Nope there are pictures of fixed spoilers being delivered. Check out @WilliamZ's delivery thread in the production and delivery section.

Model X first day feedback

Last edited:
Picked up 90D Tuesday. I think our spoiler is fixed, never seen it retract. I took a closer look and can't figure out how it would retract. I just dropped it off to get xpel, kenzo, tint and powder coat and won't get it back till Tuesday. I will call Tesla then and make sure it's supposed to be fixed vs broken.

@Hawkeye , do you have a photo of your spoiler? Tesla tried to tell me that mine was fixed, but it doesn't look @WilliamZ fixed spoiler. Mine looks like the active spoiler in the aerodynamic mode. Also, you can try checking your settings. If you have he active spoiler, there should be a setting for the spoiler to be "automatic" or "extended".

The 90D models that were delivered to Austin this week all had retracting spoilers. I've yet to see a Model X with an erect spoiler while the car is off.

Bam!

It looks dumb.

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 127
  • image.png
    image.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 110
@Pjjava34, congrats on your car. Can you let us know if you received a bosal adapter for the tow hitch during delivery, and if you have an interest, if you can open the panel for it under the bumper and see what if any wire harness 4pin/7pin or none is included? thx.
I did indeed receive the bosal adapter for the tow hitch even though I only opted for the then free accessory hitch. In bed now but will examine the car in the morning for the wiring harness.
I can tell you that when in settings, you can definitely choose to select "tow mode" and the DS just said "here is your tow hitch in the frunk" when I took delivery. I did not stop him to interject that I had only opted for the accessory hitch so a wonderful gift indeed for having waiting all this time!

@Hawkeye , do you have a photo of your spoiler? Tesla tried to tell me that mine was fixed, but it doesn't look @WilliamZ fixed spoiler. Mine looks like the active spoiler in the aerodynamic mode. Also, you can try checking your settings. If you have he active spoiler, there should be a setting for the spoiler to be "automatic" or "extended".
From the pictures you've shared you definitely have a malfunctioning active spoiler. Get it checked out.

I know this isn't a new issue, but it is kinda sad that Tesla's service and delivery people are so unaware of their own products, e.g. They don't know the difference between active and fixed spoilers.
Seriously. It's just plain ridiculous.

Bam!

It looks dumb.
Sorry, but this proves nothing. That picture needs to be up close to the stanchions holding the spoiler up to tell if it's active or not. :p;)

I did indeed receive the bosal adapter for the tow hitch even though I only opted for the then free accessory hitch. In bed now but will examine the car in the morning for the wiring harness.
I can tell you that when in settings, you can definitely choose to select "tow mode" and the DS just said "here is your tow hitch in the frunk" when I took delivery. I did not stop him to interject that I had only opted for the accessory hitch so a wonderful gift indeed for having waiting all this time!
Lovely. Well, I guess I'm just making more of a contribution to Tesla's bottom line by actually ordering and paying for the tow package. :rolleyes::p

Reactions: BrettH
Now that a number of 90Ds are being delivered the verdict is in. The 90ds have a fixed spoiler. It stays in the up position 100% of the time. There are no grooves for the spoiler to move or retract even when powered off.

For those with 90Ds that have an active or even retractable spoiler, they got lucky--early builds seem to all have gotten the active spoiler, but no more. The new cars being shipped now have a fixed spoiler. There will, of course, be the exception here or there, but I saw 4 90Ds yesterday awaiting delivery and all had fixed spoilers, including mine.

Was a little bummed I didn't get the active seeing how long I've waited and how much it's been delayed, but then realized, if it's only down when it's parked, who cares? Maybe the lack of mechanical parts will get me a few extra miles of range!

Trying to look at the brighter side of life.

Fellow 90D owners/future owners--would you skip the spoiler entirely if it were an option or do you like the way it looks?

Reactions: XHokie
Was a little bummed I didn't get the active seeing how long I've waited and how much it's been delayed, but then realized, if it's only down when it's parked, who cares? Maybe the lack of mechanical parts will get me a few extra miles of range!
I'd also like to be able to lock the spoiler down on demand. Like for a car wash. (Cue people ranting about only hand washing a car this expensive).