Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

90D Range slowly declining

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
S 70D; Oct/Nov 15; 7900 miles, 90% 214 miles.

90% started at 215 miles, dipped to 211 miles, and now at 214 miles.

Daily miles approx 10-15 miles when it was at 211 miles.

For a while we were averaging 80-100 miles a day and we saw our 90% go up to 214.

Now approx 20-30 miles daily with more highway miles and 90% at 214 miles.

S 70D; Oct/Nov 15; 7900 miles, 90% 214 miles.

90% started at 215 miles, dipped to 211 miles, and now at 214 miles.

Daily miles approx 10-15 miles when it was at 211 miles.

For a while we were averaging 80-100 miles a day and we saw our 90% go up to 214.

Now approx 20-30 miles daily with more highway miles and 90% at 214 miles.

Oops, wrong 90....:oops: Sorry 90d folks, don't mind me...

Exactly 2 month old P90D, 241 rated miles when new, today after charging to 90%, 242 rated miles.
BTW, I typically charge to 82% over the last month on a daily basis. Nothing special about 82% vs 80% just set it there
and left it until last evening.

BTW I am on 2.17.37 firmware.

Did you ever get the 294 at 100% the other newer owners got or did you lose 5 miles in a month?

Got my 90D in early august. Brand new the max charge was 288 miles.
Now, with 25,000 miles on it, full is 272-277 depending on temperature outside and also if I charge at home vs supercharger.

Some interesting items of note. When I charge at the supercharger it seems to show a higher number, but the first 3 miles are inaccurate. Basically you loose 2 or 3 miles within the first mile of leaving the supercharger. The next 5 miles or so seem to deplete rather rapidly also.. then it stabilizes out.

I don't baby it.. I drive with a bit of a led foot. It is highly likely that my displayed range is a product of how I drive rather than the battery degrading.
The reason I feel this is true is that aside from what was said above on a range charge, when I charge to 90% the mileage is VERY accurate and often miscalculates my arrival percentage in the positive not the negative. So I do believe there are some calculations going on there.

I have a 2013 85 that I bought used from Tesla with 15,000 miles on it. I calculated the battery capacity by checking the % charge and the KWH charged. According to that the full 100% capacity of my battery is 72KWH. I checked with the Service Department, they told me that this is about normal for the age of the car. Nevertheless they tested the battery and sent the results to headquartes. No response from them yet.
I do not know if the 85KWH original capacity is the theoretical capacity or the actual available capacity. My guess is that it is the theoretical capacity and that in reality only about 80KWH were ever available (now 72).
Does anyone have any knowledge / data about this?
-- urs

I have a job on one of my servers that tracks all the API data, which includes all the battery info. Right now i have it set to save to a DB but i could modify to save to an Excel file. If anyone wants the code just let me know. It comes in really handy to have hard data when speaking with service or techs (or if you just want to track your battery usage)

Code:
"charging_state": "Complete",  // "Charging", ??
    "charge_to_max_range": false,  // current std/max-range setting
    "max_range_charge_counter": 0,
    "fast_charger_present": false, // connected to Supercharger?
    "battery_range": 239.02,       // rated miles
    "est_battery_range": 155.79,   // range estimated from recent driving
    "ideal_battery_range": 275.09, // ideal miles
    "battery_level": 91,           // integer charge percentage
    "battery_current": -0.6,       // current flowing into battery
    "charge_starting_range": null,
    "charge_starting_soc": null,
    "charger_voltage": 0,          // only has value while charging
    "charger_pilot_current": 40,   // max current allowed by charger & adapter
    "charger_actual_current": 0,   // current actually being drawn
    "charger_power": 0,            // kW (rounded down) of charger
    "time_to_full_charge": null,   // valid only while charging
    "charge_rate": -1.0,           // float mi/hr charging or -1 if not charging
    "charge_port_door_open": true

Last edited:
My 90% is now 238. A loss of two more miles in the last 2 weeks. I have another service appointment on Tuesday. When I made the appt everyone at the SC agreed my mileage was irregular and concerned. Hopefully they provide a resolution.

My 90% is now 238. A loss of two more miles in the last 2 weeks. I have another service appointment on Tuesday. When I made the appt everyone at the SC agreed my mileage was irregular and concerned. Hopefully they provide a resolution.

Have you run your battery down below 5 or 10% and then fully charged to 100%? If not you should try that. I bet you get some miles back.