Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

90D Range slowly declining

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I took delivery 9/8/15. My 90% is now at 240. I have complained twice while in for service and stated that I want a new battery. I'll be going back next week to escalate again

Why do you think you need a new battery? Seems like a drastic spot to dig your heals in...

My 90% is 250 pretty consistently. I'd sure love to know how some of you are getting such high 90% numbers but...

Jeff

5%????? Has anyone seen that kind of drop even after years and 100K miles? (90 kWh batteries excluded)

My S85 with 77k miles range (100%) charged to 251 miles this weekend which is 5.3% drop from 265 when new. 5% over 1 year seems excessive, but something like 3% after the first year sounds about right. I think I had about 3% drop in the first 25k miles or so. The degradation seems to slow down over time.

Why do you think you need a new battery? Seems like a drastic spot to dig your heals in...

My 90% is 250 pretty consistently. I'd sure love to know how some of you are getting such high 90% numbers but...

Jeff

Jeff:
I believe that 90D has a different and more optimistic Rated Miles algorithm that takes into account the lesser power draw than our P90D's consume.

That said, I charge at about 82% each morning and since getting the P90D, my Rated Miles has consistently been 221 miles at 82%.
When I charge to 90% I am still at 241 which is what I had when new on March 3, 2016. I have 1600 miles on the P90D now. Average kWh per mile is about 336.

An observation, now that the weather here in New England is warming up, my Rated Range and Actual are getting closer to each other. Perhaps this is due to the fact that I am no using HVAC as much? Mornings are 55F and daytime is 60-70F.

Jeff

Why wouldn't I want a new battery. I have lost 25 miles of charge since September. 5 miles in the last 6 weeks alone. I paid 3k for the upgrade, it's clearly not performing as promised. If other are running the same firmware why are they staying relatively stable and mine continuing to drop? I'm not buying the firmware issue, if it's was firmware all 90d owners should see the same results, must be a hardware difference somewhere, likely the battery. If not the battery, I'll take the other hardware remedy - I believe it's the battery. I'm not even comfortable with a $3k refund as the battery seems to be the problem.

I've been patient enough IMO.

Last edited:
My S85 with 77k miles range (100%) charged to 251 miles this weekend which is 5.3% drop from 265 when new. 5% over 1 year seems excessive, but something like 3% after the first year sounds about right. I think I had about 3% drop in the first 25k miles or so. The degradation seems to slow down over time.

My P85 with 60k miles Range Charges to between 253 and 258 miles at the moment. Seems to depend on how much it's got in it when I start the 100% charge. Also the range has been seen to rise by 2 miles or so a couple of hours AFTER charging is complete. (did it today... from 253 to 255). 255 is 94.8% of the 269 miles it had when it was new 2.5 years ago. I've been full-charging almost every day since October last year, and honestly the range of the cat hasn't fallen by any appreciable amount. (it does not sit for long periods of time on full charge and never gets re-charged before it gets driven) It was 255 when I started in October, and it's still 255 today. The degradation definitely seems to be slowing down. Perhaps this last sentence is the most relevant part for rawn77.

Bruce:
I just went one click on the slider beyond 80 to see what the difference was in miles. About 2 was the answer. Then being the lazy type I left the slider there.... I hope that answers your question... no magic.... tragic really.... Lazy. :cool:

Ah, I was hoping you'd stumbled on something insightful and/or profound. :)

Thanks!

Bruce.

Why wouldn't I want a new battery. I have lost 25 miles of charge since September. 5 miles in the last 6 weeks alone. I paid 3k for the upgrade, it's clearly not performing as promised. If other are running the same firmware why are they staying relatively stable and mine continuing to drop? I'm not buying the firmware issue, if it's was firmware all 90d owners should see the same results, must be a hardware difference somewhere, likely the battery. If not the battery, I'll take the other hardware remedy - I believe it's the battery. I'm not even comfortable with a $3k refund as the battery seems to be the problem.

I agree with you entirely and I'm in the same boat. I am concerned that Tesla is not making this right as promised to us a few months ago. What are you going to do about it?

A big factor in this is how many Wh/M you're using. And Wh/M is heavily influenced by rolling resistance.

I posted a thread over in the MS forum describing alignment issues and the findings of lolachampcar. Those who take the advice gain 10%-20% in range and the car feels like it's on rails. But, everyone chooses their own path.

A big factor in this is how many Wh/M you're using. And Wh/M is heavily influenced by rolling resistance.

I posted a thread over in the MS forum describing alignment issues and the findings of lolachampcar. Those who take the advice gain 10%-20% in range and the car feels like it's on rails. But, everyone chooses their own path.

This is a different issue. Suggest you read through the threads. This has to do with a fairly rapid loss of rated range (about one mile per week for about 4 months) from when the car was delivered.