Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AC on M3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had the same experience when I picked up my M3, but it turned out to be my error. Try putting it on Auto mode and just dialing down the temperature. Once I did this, the AC worked perfectly! Don't touch the fan speed at all, it should be grayed out.

Reactions: KenC
Mine is fine, and I leave it on auto most of the time. Its in the upper 90s where I live now so its been in use. Im not sure what the relevance is on having to turn the fan setting up to get a desired amount of cold air. Either the air is cold or it isnt. the fan speed just pushes more of it.

Not saying this is OP, but another thing that people dont seem to understand about AC units is, making the temperature setting lower does not change how cold the air is. People seem to think that changing the temperature setting from, say 70 to 67 will make the temperature of the air coming out of the system colder, and that is not the case for any AC unit (home, or car). The temperature setting is so the AC unit can turn up, down, on or off the fan based on what temperature the sensor is reading.

The A/C definitely takes longer and more fan speed to cool down the cabin than my Leaf on a sunny day. It works well on auto, but the fan is super loud. I’d like to be able to limit the max fan speed on auto to 6-8 or so. 10 is a bit breezy. I’m guessing the amount of glass is a big part of it here.

People seem to think that changing the temperature setting from, say 70 to 67 will make the temperature of the air coming out of the system colder, and that is not the case for any AC unit (home, or car). The temperature setting is so the AC unit can turn up, down, on or off the fan based on what temperature the sensor is reading.

Wouldn't this control how much outside air is mixed in with AC like on my old car that had a dial that went continuous from warm to cold. I mean if it's 70 out and I set to 75 I get warm air and if I set to 65 I get cold air. So at least at that level it is controling the temperature. But why stop there and not adjust the temperature of the air further.

Wouldn't this control how much outside air is mixed in with AC like on my old car that had a dial that went continuous from warm to cold. I mean if it's 70 out and I set to 75 I get warm air and if I set to 65 I get cold air. So at least at that level it is controling the temperature. But why stop there and not adjust the temperature of the air further.

it might.. it might let in more outside air, but from what I was told (not by tesla) AC units run at one temperature for the air they are cooling, and changing the temperature of the gauge just determines how long and how hard the unit blows to get to said temperature indicated by the the sensors its reading.

My BMWs AC works a bit better than the tesla on auto, but both are fine. For all the BMWs I have driven, I can basically set the Ac on auto, 70 degrees, when I pick up the lease, and hardly touch it for the 3 years I have the lease, summer or winter.

My model 3 cools fine (and its actually VERY nice to be able to pre cool the cabin with real AC before I leave work for home), but it runs louder as others have said. I dont particularly enjoy running the unit above 6-7 fan speed for the noise, but if I pre cool it before I get in, I dont have to.

I was running mine manually and recently have been using it on Auto.
Auto works great and only blows hard when needed. If the car sits in the Tx sun, I can see interior temps of up to 140. So either open both front doors for about 30 sec or just turn it on a few minutes before entering.

Auto mode will run the system in recirculate most of the time. It has to be a pretty mild day for it to do fresh air while it’s cooling. I frequently switch it to manual fresh air, leaving the rest of the system in automatic.

I had the same experience when I picked up my M3, but it turned out to be my error. Try putting it on Auto mode and just dialing down the temperature. Once I did this, the AC worked perfectly! Don't touch the fan speed at all, it should be grayed out.

I agree with this process but don't agree with it philosophically. While it works technically, the loudness of the fans is annoying. I'm one of those people that don't mind slow cooling but to the OP point, when you turn on the AC at a low rate of speed it isn't cold... it takes a long(er) time to get cold.

Having said that I'm going to try a week with something like 70 degrees automatic, and see how that works. Generally speaking I've kept it on "LO" with a fan rate of 3-4 and not auto.

Had anyone experienced that their AC is not working efficiently. I have to blast mine on 6 or 7 to start feeling the cold air and my M3 is only a month old.
I've noticed if you have the cents for the windshield or feet going it significant reduces the airflow from the front vents. Wish there was a way to dial down the feet vents, I love that they are so strong, but sometimes I don't want that much.

I agree with this process but don't agree with it philosophically. While it works technically, the loudness of the fans is annoying. I'm one of those people that don't mind slow cooling but to the OP point, when you turn on the AC at a low rate of speed it isn't cold... it takes a long(er) time to get cold.

Having said that I'm going to try a week with something like 70 degrees automatic, and see how that works. Generally speaking I've kept it on "LO" with a fan rate of 3-4 and not auto.

I look forward to you report. I think you will be pleasantly surprised. I never really noticed the fans blowing excessively - to the point where I noticed them. But then again, I'm not driving in 100 degree weather either. When "hot" out here, I just turn on climate control about five minutes before entering the car (say I'm at Starbucks or a restaurant), from the App, and set the temperature to 75-80. By the time I walk t the car, it's comfortable and the fans quiet.

It would be fine if my wife would only leave it in auto. She likes to manually control the fan. Kind of hot when we start out, but it eventually gets the temp down. She hates when the fan goes full blast at the start and won't wait long enough for it to slow down as the car reaches the set temp.