Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Acceleration Boost" option, discussion as to which models and how much quicker

AWD (Non P) - Will you buy the $2k "Acceleration Boost" to get 0-60 mph in 3.9s (from current 4.4s)?

• Yes, this is what I've been waiting for!

Votes: 65 7.9%
  • Yes, I want a full uncork to Stealth Performance but this is better than nothing

Votes: 220 26.7%
  • Yes, for other reasons

Votes: 14 1.7%
  • No, I only want a full uncork to Stealth Performance

Votes: 182 22.1%
  • No, I don't want or care to pay for any additional performance

Votes: 140 17.0%
  • No, for other reasons

Votes: 44 5.3%
  • I'm not a Non-P AWD owner, but just want to vote

Votes: 158 19.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm happy for the LR AWD owners but have to say that as a Performance Model 3 owner, I'm bittersweet about it. I bought the performance model only for the better acceleration and didn't care about the bigger wheels, brakes or spoilers. We were also told the motors were different...

Now that the Dual Motor AWD accelerates as much at a Performance Model 3, there will be little selling points for people to buy a Performance instead of a LR AWD... which will ultimately hurt resale value of the Performance Model 3.

I'm hoping that Tesla will provide an update at some point that will increase the acceleration for the Performance Model, hopefully under 3 seconds... :p

Meanwhile, enjoy your need car :)
Agreed, but I think that the P3D is still faster. After the latest power increases, people are reporting sub 3 second 0-60. Tesla has to do something to keep the P3D competitive and worth the price difference.

Thanks for your feedback. I got my 2019 LR AWD a few months ago. I wanted a Stealth, but there were none available and I didn't think anymore were going to be made (according to the Tesla SA's), so I settled. I knew then that I would have buyers remorse if any more Stealth's hit the lots, and they did, and then I did. This will help ease that remorse somewhat, although for the same $2k money, the performance isn't quite the same as the Stealth.
Since I have absolutely no valid reason whatsoever for needing that performance anyway, it is 100% fueled by that inner child that grins every time I am on an open road and stomp the Go pedal. It is also hella fun when my wife is in the car, and without warning I stomp the pedal and watch her head hit the headrest.

I think after you get it you will feel better. The value is not there, but it’s fun. Use case is very low, but you know you have the speed if need it. It’s been awhile since I test drove the P3D but I think by my butt dyno this is very close. It also pulled harder from 50-80. This was my concern and glad there was an improvement at that speed range.

I say go for it to treat yourself. That is what I did. I don’t regret buying it, but $2k is very expensive. Track mode would be great so gets more use if you track it.

Reactions: phantasms
Now that we've essentially kissed free power upgrades goodbye (Merry Christmas), I hope this does not start a bad trend where Tesla starts charging for other enhancements.

Ha Ha.
So now that you aren’t getting free stuff that no other manufacturer offers in any way, it’s a bad trend :)
Look up entitled in the dictionary, and let me know what you find. Lol.

It is a paid boost to increase your AWD non-performance car .5 seconds faster 0-60
Forget the 4.4, 4.1, 3.9, 3.7, 3.5 etc...

It will be approx. .5 seconds faster with this boost then before is really the difference that matters and has been already verified on this forum by users with Draggy.

You do not have to purchase it ; your car will not be any slower if you don't

With the recent 5% power improvement, a 4.4 0-60 became 4.18 seconds. Any insight if "Acceleration Boost" takes the vehicle from 4.18 seconds down to 3.9 seconds (not worth $2,000 IMO), or if it is really now 4.18 down to 3.7 seconds (95% of the stated 3.9 in the boost offer)?

I saw a similar argument posted on Reddit, that the argument for this is this is essentially a ECU flash/tune but done over the air. The ironic thing is that if this required a service center visit, more people may be accepting it but because this is done over the air, suddenly people are up in arms over this.

2015-2017 MUSTANG 2.3L ECOBOOST PERFORMANCE CALIBRATION KIT

From the official ford website. There is one physical part difference, but it is not worth $867. The rest of it is software.

Funny enough I feel people would be more accepting if this upgrade for whatever reason required you to swap in a physical part...

Don't forget that Microsoft essentially "software locks" features in their Windows 10 Pro, Enterprise, etc. editions, yet I don't see the same complaints about them...

This option of $2k for premium acceleration, plus the option of $10 per month for premium connectivity raises a fear of being a captive audience. I was willing to pay for the promise of FSD years before its availability because I believe in Elon’s goal of autonomous driving. But, will I be the subjected to many more unexpected dollar costs for performance features during the life of my car. The oil changes savings for an ICE vehicle are now wiped out by connectivity, etc charges. What other unexpected charges are there in the future that cancel the savings from not owning an ICE vehicle? Are these new features truly optional, or will their absence block or be an impediment to distant, future standard OTA updates?

• Disagree
Reactions: Sherlo and arghx7
Perhaps, but the verbiage describing the difference is clearly not a mistake, while copying and pasting a value from one cell to another incorrectly is clearly easy to do. Also note that in 2018 both EPA documents showed that the AWD And Performance were different.

The verbiage is pretty clear in implication: the Performance has a more powerful rear motor (and always has). Whether that is due to a software limit or hardware capability difference I have no idea.

But that is clearly incorrect in 2018 the same motors were used in both the Performance and LR AWD they sported Identical model numbers

you should be thankful for all the OTA updates-you'll realize this if you won Chevy Bolt or Nissan Leaf.
If I could thumbs up twice on this I would. Our family has a bolt and a model 3. Bubkiss on updates for the bolt....even got a nice letter from Chevy a while back trying to convince me to trade in the bolt....for a pickup :rolleyes:

Folks are bashing tesla for offering the chance to upgrade. Ask any auto mfg to do the same and you'll get an offer to trade in your EV for a pickup o_O

With the recent 5% power improvement, a 4.4 0-60 became 4.18 seconds. Any insight if "Acceleration Boost" takes the vehicle from 4.18 seconds down to 3.9 seconds (not worth $2,000 IMO), or if it is really now 4.18 down to 3.7 seconds (95% of the stated 3.9 in the boost offer)?
I saw a video posted of someone doing a 0-60 after the boost upgrade. With me using my ultra scientific stopwatch held next to the computer screen, I timed it four times and each time got right around 3.6 seconds.