Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Acceleration Boost Still Available?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've seen mentioned multiple times that people are considering purchasing the acceleration boost for the Model Y, but I can't find any recent information about it online, all of the articles are about a year old. Is the acceleration boost still available, and if so how do you purchase it? Is it something you have to talk to your sales advisor about? I will be getting a LR MY soon and coming from a M3P I would strongly consider the extra money for the acceleration boost if it is still a thing.

Yes, still available

If using Tesla App -> under Upgrade
If logging in using a browser -> Manage -> Buy Upgrades
upload_2021-2-15_19-26-58.png

• Helpful
Reactions: joeyjackson
I've seen mentioned multiple times that people are considering purchasing the acceleration boost for the Model Y, but I can't find any recent information about it online, all of the articles are about a year old. Is the acceleration boost still available, and if so how do you purchase it? Is it something you have to talk to your sales advisor about? I will be getting a LR MY soon and coming from a M3P I would strongly consider the extra money for the acceleration boost if it is still a thing.
The $2000US acceleration boost (AB) upgrade option only appears in your Tesla account and on the Tesla app on you phone after you have purchased, taken delivery of either a Tesla Long Range Dual Motor Model Y or Long Range Dual Motor Model 3 vehicle.

• Helpful
Reactions: joeyjackson
Just ordered my first Tesla, first car purchase ever driven by COVID making public transportation a health scare in 2020 resulting in an expensive year of car rentals.

Why purchase the acceleration boost beyond the fun factor for a Model Y Long Range w/ 19" Wheels?

Just ordered my first Tesla, first car purchase ever driven by COVID making public transportation a health scare in 2020 resulting in an expensive year of car rentals.

Why purchase the acceleration boost beyond the fun factor for a Model Y Long Range w/ 19" Wheels?
When the weather cooperates (warmer, dry pavement) why not purchase the acceleration boost and find out if it is worth it. You can receive a full refund within 48 hours of purchase if not satisfied. You can only request a refund one time.

Purely for the fun factor. No other reason. I'll buy it for sure. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

With AB a Y is faster at all speeds regardless of SOC than a Y without it. But for the most fun, I find 60% or better SOC really is impressive. Too bad KBB and others don't include AB as an option when trying to determine a pre-owned Y's value. I sent KBB an E-mail, haven't heard back.

Does the AB retain its settings between owners? Or is it software reset if ownership changes? I've seen people's posts indicating both.

Reactions: AquaY
@jcanoe , are you sure about this? Any official Tesla information I can see about this?
Thx
Well, there's this account of someone who purchased a used Model 3. The original owner had purchased the acceleration boost (AB) but when the Model 3 was transferred to the new owner's Tesla account the AB did not appear. There are probably more examples. [Edit: It appears that in this case the AB was restored to the Model 3. Need more examples.]

https://www.reddit.com/r/TeslaModel3/comments/if41nu/bought_a_used_tesla_and_the_acceleration_boost/

[Update: I found this reference that clarifies what happens to the AB when the Tesla is sold. If title passes to Tesla, as in a trade in, then Tesla removes the AB. In a private sale of the Tesla Model 3 or Model Y with the AB then the AB will transfer with the sale. It's never simple.]

Acceleration boost DOES NOT stay with vehicle (unless it is a private sale)

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: AquaY
If you purchase the AB for your Tesla vehicle this upgrade does not convey to the next owner when the vehicle is sold.
Wow. This I wasn't expecting. I know aftermarket items are not a one to one when you are selling a car or bike, but to some people they are worth the investment. This is just as if you paid for floor mats and before you sold your car, you just threw them out in the trash.