Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Acceleration boost DOES NOT stay with vehicle (unless it is a private sale)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got a quote on my model Y from Tesla because I was considering moving back to a model three (That’s a story for a different thread).
I asked my sales advisor if because I purchased my acceleration boost so recently, could they transfer it to the new vehicle purchase. He checked with his management team and was advised that they will not transfer the acceleration boost. He also advised if you sell the car to Tesla they will remove the acceleration boost before reselling it.

so take note, if you get a quote from Tesla they will not include any value of the acceleration boost and it will only stick with the Vin so long as you own a vehicle. As soon as Tesla gets the vehicle they will remove the acceleration boost before listing it.

I got a quote on my model Y from Tesla because I was considering moving back to a model three (That’s a story for a different thread).
I asked my sales advisor if because I purchased my acceleration boost so recently, could they transfer it to the new vehicle purchase. He checked with his management team and was advised that they will not transfer the acceleration boost. He also advised if you sell the car to Tesla they will remove the acceleration boost before reselling it.

so take note, if you get a quote from Tesla they will not include any value of the acceleration boost and it will only stick with the Vin so long as you own a vehicle. As soon as Tesla gets the vehicle they will remove the acceleration boost before listing it.

I agree it’s not quite right but FSD purchase is the same policy, and always has been. The only way to sell with that feature/value is privately.

It’s honestly the most grimy policy Tesla has. There should be two options

1) any software purchases stay with the VIN
2) any software purchase stays with the account.

Well it is grimy for the consumer but for the investor (I’m both) it makes perfect sense.

Software purchases are yet another thing Tesla has that their competition doesn’t. As a long term investor I’m all for them maximizing revenue from software.

For those that have been following for years, Tesla was pretty close to bankruptcy (perceived at least) until relatively recently.

It doesn't matter to you if boost stays with the car once they sell it or not.

Tesla gives you garbage value if you trade in with them. That's the only thing that matters to you.

If Tesla keeps fsd and other software options on the vehicle, that makes it harder to offload. No sense in doing it and keeping used inventory on hand.

If you've sold the car to them and you get the value including AB, who cares what they do with it after? Presumably the resold car is priced without it.
That’s just it, they don’t factor in the AB into the value of the vehicle. I specifically asked.
1) you dont get the value of AB added to the vehicle quote
2) the AB does not stay with the vehicle
2) the AB can not be transferred to another vehicle.

basically if you buy software, it’s a sunk cost (unless you sell privately)

the reality is that Tesla is selling most cars that have the ability with acceleration boost and many with FSD.... definitely the majority did not have these when initially owned.. it's a very inexpensive way for Tesla to move old, uncertified used cars with a bare bones warranty

Once you trade it in, Tesla can do what ever they want. If you sell it privately then it should stick, just as FSD would.

Asking them to transfer it, ha ha ha, nice try. We are talking Tesla.

Keep in mind, any "SOFTWARE" option it worthless to Tesla on trade. And they can sell the software options again.

Now if it was traded or sold to a Non Tesla dealer. It could end up like free supercharging. I'm not sure what they do with FSD in this case, I think it sticks. Boost would probably fall under the same treatment.

Oh, Free Supercharging is only original owner and that I believe is called out. So even if private, that goes bye bye.