Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Acceleration Shudder

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Please keep us posted. I'm interested since I might have a similar issue with my early P85. There's sometimes a shutter/vibration under hard acceleration from 50 to 70 mph. It doesn't always happen (only 2 or 3 times now), so I'm going to try and pay closer attention to the conditions when it does.

Just got my car back from the SC and I still have the shudder. This is what the invoice showed:

Concern: Customer states: When accelerating relatively hard he feels a shuttering in the
steering and body of the vehicle
Pay Type: Warranty
Corrections: Rear Motor General Diagnosis
Case is under review. Maybe fixed with a later firmware updateo_O

yes. I have noticed this at speed from about 30-35mph. I noticed this about 3 weeks ago. I will bring this up at a schedule service appointment in 2 weeks. I will report back what I find.

This is the response from my service appointment.
Concern: Customer states:" rumble, shimmy only when accelerating at about at slow
speeds 10mph -40mph. Verified on test drive with Glenn. W.
Pay Type: Warranty
Corrections: Front Halfshaft Assembly - Front - RH
Removed and replaced right front halfshaft. Test drove vehicle and found vibration is no
longer present.

Problem is still unresolved and may be getting worse, spoke with and sent an email to Service Manager today.

I also tried an experiment. Little or no shudder when accelerating hard with Range Mode on. Doesn't that point to the rear motor/drive train as the culprit? Or does it just mean that acceleration isn't as hard in Range Mode?

For the last thousand miles or so I've noticed a significant shudder as I accelerate hard from 20-30 mph, as in freeway onramp.

Has anyone else noticed this? The car is slated for a Service Center visit in a few weeks.

Thank you for starting this thread. I thought it was my imagination. I'm experiencing this too and it hasn't happened for very long. I'm at 14.5K miles in 5.5 months. I had a list of things for my service center and added this.

Problem is still unresolved and may be getting worse, spoke with and sent an email to Service Manager today.
I also tried an experiment. Little or no shudder when accelerating hard with Range Mode on. Doesn't that point to the rear motor/drive train as the culprit? Or does it just mean that acceleration isn't as hard in Range Mode?
Not quite sure I follow your logic about the rear motor. I think the Range Mode intermittently shuts off the rear but I don't think it is always off. It is done at highway cruising AFAIK. From some other thread: "The torque sleep feature effectively switches off the larger rear motor at constant speeds and the front motor does all of the work "

Not quite sure I follow your logic about the rear motor. I think the Range Mode intermittently shuts off the rear but I don't think it is always off. It is done at highway cruising AFAIK. From some other thread: "The torque sleep feature effectively switches off the larger rear motor at constant speeds and the front motor does all of the work "
You may be right. I was under the impression that Range Mode turned off the rear motor completely. In any case it really needs fixing.

My Model X was in for service for a few things and I mentioned the shudder to them. Here's what they did:
Corrections: Interior NVH General Diagnosis

Both front half shafts will need to be replaced restore proper working due to imbalance.
Corrections: Front Halfshaft Assembly - Front - LH Replaced left front halfshaft and test drove
vehicle.

Parts Replaced or Added
Part Quantity

HALFSHAFT, FR LH, MODEL X (1027111-00 1
-A)
Corrections: Front Halfshaft Assembly - Front - RH
Replaced right hand haft shaft assemble and test drove vehicle.

Parts Replaced or Added
Part Quantity
HALFSHAFT, FR RH, MODEL X (1027115-00 1
-A)

I just picked up my Model X from the service center and they said they've stopped replacing the half axles until the factory can figure out what the root cause is. Their suspicion is a firmware issue introduced in a past update.
I'm a little suspicious of software as well since I have not found it to be consistent even on the same road. Mine didn't change based on Range Mode ON|OFF but it was mentioned above. Mine has not done it when I was close to 100%. Coincidence perhaps as I see it sometimes (> 50%) when at 90% or lower. I often charge to 80%.