Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Acceleration Shudder

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 2019 with less thank 1k miles goes clunk anytime the gas is pressed
Is it just when first moving? If so, that may be the car releasing the brakes when it comes off hill-hold mode. Hill hold engages at stops when you hold the brake for a second or so, and shows on the upper right of your display above the consumption graph as "({H})", where {} is a circle.

• Helpful
Reactions: Silicon Desert
After getting fed up/embarrassed by the shudder and clanking that made my Model X sound like an '86 Tercel, I decided to install lowering links. Now that the car is sitting lower, the vibration and noise is completely gone. IMO, Tesla should just allow us to drive in very low all the time.

After getting fed up/embarrassed by the shudder and clanking that made my Model X sound like an '86 Tercel, I decided to install lowering links. Now that the car is sitting lower, the vibration and noise is completely gone. IMO, Tesla should just allow us to drive in very low all the time.
Do you have a link to what lowering links are?

They (Tesla) are going to have to do something to fix the shudder or we're going to be "friends" long after any factory warranty expires. It's ridiculous to think Tesla will just keep replacing half shafts for the life of the car.

Oh, they won’t. They’re already saying it’s “within tolerance” of the car and won’t replace.... I guess since ever X eventually develops this problem, it’s a “feature” not a “design flaw”

Do you have a link to what lowering links are?
These are the ones that I bought: TESLA MODEL X LOWERING KIT / LINKAGES / LINKS | eBay
They are fully adjustable unlike the Unplugged Performance brackets. You have to do a bit of math to get the drop you want but I found that by extending the links by 8mm that I was able to get a satisfying 1.75" drop on all 4 corners. The ride quality was not compromised in any way and in fact, I'd say it's better since there is very little front end lift vs. the stock 'low' setting which would routinely cause my P100D's front axels to vibrate and make that god awful noise. Now I can use Ludicrous + Mode till my heart's content and I have yet to hear or experience shudder or noise, no matter how hard I try.

• Informative
Reactions: 4DXP and jgrgnt
These are the ones that I bought: TESLA MODEL X LOWERING KIT / LINKAGES / LINKS | eBay
They are fully adjustable unlike the Unplugged Performance brackets. You have to do a bit of math to get the drop you want but I found that by extending the links by 8mm that I was able to get a satisfying 1.75" drop on all 4 corners. The ride quality was not compromised in any way and in fact, I'd say it's better since there is very little front end lift vs. the stock 'low' setting which would routinely cause my P100D's front axels to vibrate and make that god awful noise. Now I can use Ludicrous + Mode till my heart's content and I have yet to hear or experience shudder or noise, no matter how hard I try.

Good to hear. I will go for it so I can drag race perfectly going to work in +.

I had my plastic airsuspension brackets replaced with adjustable metal ones by Baan Velgen. The car is much lower now. Shudder is gone. No change in function or comfort. See pictures for all heights after replacement.

20190517_102703.jpg
20190517_093956.jpg
20190517_094217.jpg
20190517_094302.jpg
20190517_094043.jpg
20190517_094124.jpg
20190517_102721.jpg
20190516_112029.jpg
20190517_102714.jpg
20190517_092145.jpg

• Informative
  • Love
Reactions: ohmman and P85_DA
I had my plastic airsuspension brackets replaced with adjustable metal ones by Baan Velgen. The car is much lower now. Shudder is gone. No change in function or comfort. See pictures for all heights after replacement.

View attachment 408817 View attachment 408818 View attachment 408819 View attachment 408820 View attachment 408821 View attachment 408822 View attachment 408823 View attachment 408824 View attachment 408825View attachment 408828

Glad to hear the fix worked for you. I honestly think Tesla could easily with a resolve this with a software update that makes low a bit lower but until then, this is a cheap and effective way of solving the shudder. Did you happen to get an alignment done afterwards?