Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Actual Color Poll - New

Which color Model S are you most likely to order?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ohhhh, this is tough. The photos of the Signature Red look really different in every light. In some lights, it looks dark and burgundy, and I really really like it.... in some lights it looks garish and red, and I dislike it. What to do, what to do?

I don't think any of the production colors is attractive enough to downgrade from a Sig :) so I've got kind of restricted choices. The Shasta Pearl is a really nice white.

In some lights, it looks dark and burgundy, and I really really like it.... in some lights it looks garish and red, and I dislike it.

To me, the signature red that was at the event looks too burgundy. That's a no go for me but you may like it. I will downgrade from a Sig if there are no decent colors. Only black, white, silver, and dark red? Seriously ????

I'm also wondering if certain colors may have more variation 'leeway'. My Radient Red Roadster has a 'birth mark' - I know where it is, but you can only see it at the right angle and if the light is right. I'd bet a good chunk of money that that kind of defect in a non-metallic or otherwise not as 'deep' paint would be more obvious.

Just remember, for a deep color like signature red, you have to see it in person. No photo will do it justice, and certainly not even close if the whole pipeline from shutter to display isn't color managed (which it isn't).

Just remember, for a deep color like signature red, you have to see it in person.....

More than that. You have to see it under different lighting conditions. Bright sun behind you, straight overhead and behind the car, Overcast, artificial, lights of all kinds... As many variations there as are in the pictures.

Trouble is, I may not get a chance to see it in person. If they get the red car, or even the metal palette samples, to NYC, Toronto, or Chicago I could probably justify a short trip to check it out -- but I absolutely cannot justify going to the other side of the country.

European buyers may have similar problems unless metal palette samples are distributed there....

Trouble is, I may not get a chance to see it in person. If they get the red car, or even the metal palette samples, to NYC, Toronto, or Chicago I could probably justify a short trip to check it out -- but I absolutely cannot justify going to the other side of the country.

European buyers may have similar problems unless metal palette samples are distributed there....

I'm sure you will get to see samples at the store in plenty of time. Have them contact you if they get the red car.

I would have voted for Signature Red, but I'm told that it's only available with the Signature Series cars. Too bad. My last 3 cars were black. I'm done with black cars for a while. If no other options, I will probably do the Tiburon Grey. At the factory event, the color samples were in a dark tent, so you couldn't tell one from the other. The Tiburon Grey appears to have a blue/grey blend. Not bad. Would probably look nice with the beige interior, although I would have preferred a camel color leather, but didn't see one offered.

More than that. You have to see it under different lighting conditions. Bright sun behind you, straight overhead and behind the car, Overcast, artificial, lights of all kinds... As many variations there as are in the pictures.

I lived with the color sample kit for two weeks, carrying it with me everywhere. Setting up different color combos in different locations, coming back 10 minutes later to see it fresh. Ended up with a different interior combination than I originally thought...

Of course, I don't know how many people are so completely obsessed with color as Eric and I...

I'd really like to see Tesla offer a metallic back - as many have said, the flat black just shows far too much dirt. Granted, metallic black isn't going to be anywhere near spotless, but it does make a difference. Tesla, if you're listening, please add a metallic/pearl black to the premium paint options.