Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Actual cost of supercharging?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I took advantage of the free unlimited super charging for life offer when I ordered my S in November last year. I'd be interested to know what Tesla are charging those customers who don't have that option. Can anyone shed some light on this? Model 3 or S info welcome.

I took advantage of the free unlimited super charging for life offer when I ordered my S in November last year. I'd be interested to know what Tesla are charging those customers who don't have that option. Can anyone shed some light on this? Model 3 or S info welcome.
Supercharging in Australia is $0.42 per kWh of charge delivered. This is actual charge delivered, not battery pack based.

For example, if you fulled up a 75kWh pack from 0% to 100%, it would likely be around 80 or 85kWh due to charging efficiencies, the aircon running while charging, etc.

Supercharging

It doesn't show me how much it costs, hence my question. I was assuming that's because I got the lifetime free charge deal. AUD 0.42 / USD 0.27 is fairly steep considering Tesla probably pays on order AUD 0.1 / kW/h wholesale price. We pay between AUD 0.13 off-peak to AUD 0.57 peak per kW/h in a Sydney city household.

That makes the free charging deal far more attractive than I guessed when I signed up!

It doesn't show me how much it costs, hence my question. I was assuming that's because I got the lifetime free charge deal. AUD 0.42 / USD 0.27 is fairly steep considering Tesla probably pays on order AUD 0.1 / kW/h wholesale price. We pay between AUD 0.13 off-peak to AUD 0.57 peak per kW/h in a Sydney city household.

That makes the free charging deal far more attractive than I guessed when I signed up!
Hi, I have lifetime free charging as well and it never registers any “Recent Supercharging” on the MCU.

My Car is 4 months old. In 9,000km it has not been charged on a Tesla Supercharger once. So free charging is totally wasted on me. Currently have 3,000km worth in my loot box, which is soon to pop up to 4500km on referral. I might try and use some of before it expires next year.

I don't know that tesla pays for supercharger bills at least in every case. Recent discussion with Silos estate proprietor in Berry NSW indicated that they paid for it (not tesla).

Did he comment on whether Tesla pay him anything?
If Tesla are getting $0.42 per kWh from some customers, then they should be paying Silos estate something.

On our recent trip to Adelaide we found not all Superchargers are 42c / kWh. Keith and Clare were 41c, Gundagai, Bendigo and Bathurst were 42c and Adelaide was 45c. These prices from the history page on our Tesla account. But when the whole trip (4154 km) cost $258 in energy (also used NRMA and motel chargers), not worried about a few cents here or there.

• Informative
Reactions: moa999
Did he comment on whether Tesla pay him anything?
If Tesla are getting $0.42 per kWh from some customers, then they should be paying Silos estate something.
He indicated that he paid for all the electricity usage. He said that had quite a large solar setup, that previously covered all their usage including the destination chargers, but hasn't been enough to cover the superchargers usage. I imagine tat tesla may have contributed to the installation costs though.

I believe there is also an extra charge commercial providers pay for high-rate electricity (called "demand charge"?). Basically if you want to pull 400kW (4 cars charging at once), you pay more per kWh.

I believe there is also an extra charge commercial providers pay for high-rate electricity (called "demand charge"?). Basically if you want to pull 400kW (4 cars charging at once), you pay more per kWh.
I’ve done several transformer installations in commercial buildings that have the capacity to draw way more than that. No such demand charge exists in SA, but they do screw you over for a ‘contribution’ or augmentation to the network that you are connecting to. For a modest size building that can be in the order of $200,000 up front.

Last edited:
I’ve done several transformer installations in commercial buildings that have the capacity to draw way more than that. No such demand charge exists in SA, but they do screw you over for a ‘contribution’ or augmentation to the network that you are connecting to. For a modest size building that can be in the order of $200,000 up front.
It may be an American thing. I remember reading about it on this forum.
Interesting about the ‘contribution’ charge. I wonder how arbitrary it is? How it is calculated?

He indicated that he paid for all the electricity usage. He said that had quite a large solar setup, that previously covered all their usage including the destination chargers, but hasn't been enough to cover the superchargers usage. I imagine tat tesla may have contributed to the installation costs though.

well, that totally sucks... means Tesla are pocketing the whole $0.42 per kWH....good for Tesla, but don’t see the value in it for Silos.

well, that totally sucks... means Tesla are pocketing the whole $0.42 per kWH....good for Tesla, but don’t see the value in it for Silos.
I'm surprised by that. I would have though Tesla would be metering separately.
Assuming 20 cars/day at 50kWh/car that's $42/day, about $4,000/qtr.
Then again, the one time I charged there I had a $150 meal, and it's unlikely I would ever have gone there if it hadn't been for the supercharger.

It may be an American thing. I remember reading about it on this forum.
Interesting about the ‘contribution’ charge. I wonder how arbitrary it is? How it is calculated?
A few years ago it was very hit and miss. Depended who calculated it in the power company how much they disliked the developer.
Eventually legislation was put in place so the network contributions can now be determined based on expected use. If you lie and need more use, you pay more later. The cost of installing a transformer is still based on how much you are disliked. Extortion such as $70k to dig a 5m long trench are not uncommon. Its especially bad in the cbd. Not such a problem in country areas.

• Informative
Reactions: Shock-On-T
Tesla Supercharging now costs 50c kWh here on the east coast of NSW.
Chargefox 350kW chargers are 40c and as low as 32c with NRMA discount.
NRMA have a number of 50kW fast chargers that are still free.
I found myself avoiding the Tesla network on a recent 1800km road trip.
I think Tesla need to reduce their rates some what.
Thoughts ?